Novels, scenarios and idea generation

  • krishsingh1066
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 1:45 AM
      Hi all

      Here's an inspiring and practical method of deliberately using
      novels/and or scenarios for idea generation. But it also indicates
      one of the values of engaging in reading stories.

      Utilizing scenarios in service idea generation
      http://www.cs.hut.fi/~pmrg/publications/VHO/2003/Ranta_Asplund_USSIG.pdf

      I noticed that one healthy source of distraction when reading novels
      involves the ideas and inspirations that jump out of your own mind,
      and often related to problems that you have been working on. You
      already have your goal (eg. achieving higher grades, getting
      healthier, creating an interesting game etc), and the diverse
      situations and deeper meanings in stories seem to trigger your memory
      of the goal while presenting possibilities.

      I guess one way to do this practically, would be to make notes of
      these inspirations, or even do some stream of conciousness writing to
      develop them further. There would be plenty of images/meanings from
      the novel freshly placed into long term memory to aid exploration.

      Regards
      Krish