Re: [wwbc] MSO World, Memory, Sudoku

  • Andy Gimblett
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005
      > Well if Sudoku is a trend in England then it has passed me (and
      > everyone I know) by. Never heard of it. Silly comment from some
      > German newspaper suggesting that it is a 'trend' over here.

      It had passed me by too (since I don't tend to read print newspapers)
      until last weekend, but now I see it everywhere. Most of the
      newspapers are carrying it and I would use the word "craze" rather
      than "trend". :-) The Guardian had one puzzle on every page of their
      G2 supplement one day last week, I think. But it's not restricted to
      the upmarket papers - the Daily Mail had it too, I noticed, for
      example...

      -Andy

      Andy Gimblett
      Computer Science Department
      University of Wales Swansea
      http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/~csandy/
    • Ben Pridmore
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        I've never tried a sudoku before, and I'm not sure why. I love
        number puzzles, but maybe it's the fact that everybody is doing them
        already - I always prefer to do things that nobody else has ever
        heard of!

        Maybe I'll buy a Times today, or one of the books, and give it a go.

        Ben

        --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "brainboarddevu" <konrad@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > the article was not in a newspaper, to be correct. It has been and
        > still is on the homepage of the most succesfull and serious
        > news-magazine in German television (Tagesschau).
        > Maybe I misused the word "trend".
        >
        > I think it is just the typical way to go over the top ruling the
        > articles of German and Britain media nowadays.
        >
        > The beginning is:
        > "In Großbritannien breitet sich eine neue Sucht aus: Sudoku. Ob in
        der
        > überfüllten U-Bahn über die Zeitung gebeugt oder gemütlich zu
        Hause im
        > Sessel - tausende Briten bemühen sich täglich, die Zahlen von eins
        bis
        > neun richtig in ein Gitterfeld einzufügen. Die Verzweifelten, die
        es
        > nicht schaffen, suchen im Internet nach Hilfe und tauschen sich in
        > Foren aus."
        >
        > This means something like:
        > "In Great Britain a new addiction is fanning-out: Sudoku. In the
        tube
        > staring into newspapers or sitting relaxed at home - daily,
        thousands
        > of Britain people try to put the numbers one to nine in the correct
        > order into a grid. The desperate try to find help in the internet
        and
        > exchange tricks in online discussion-boards."
        >
        > Refering to Bens anwer, the newspaper is not totally wrong and
        Google
        > gave me a lot of pages about it. I like it, knew it before - but
        not
        > its name. There seems to be Sudoku puzzles in many or all big
        English

        http://ludism.org/mentat
        > > for information on how to become a better thinker.

        > > Service.

        > > Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at
        http://ludism.org/mentat
        > for information on how to become a better thinker.

        Service.

      • Oleg Stepanov
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          BP> I've never tried a sudoku before, and I'm not sure why. I love
          BP> number puzzles, but maybe it's the fact that everybody is doing them
          BP> already - I always prefer to do things that nobody else has ever
          BP> heard of!
          Hmm. Inventing new... This is my style. If you wish I can send you
          some of my inventions on puzzles world.
          Just now I working on cubing sudoku. Looks like nobody invent it
          before. Also in Russia we made sudoku with addition of two diagonals
          more. I mean 9 squares 3x3 and two big diagonals. This is not my, but I
          made it.
          On my magazine (112 pages, 8 times a month) I made 6 different
          sudoku. But I can not say this is popular here...

          Sincerely Yours, Oleg Stepanov.
          http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/
        • Ben Pridmore
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
            Hi Oleg

            I love the idea of a 3-D sudoku! If you could send me any puzzles
            you've created, that would be great.

            Ben