David Thomas

  • Ben Pridmore
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 12:59 AM
      My boss came into the office this morning saying "I've got a thing
      on my desk advertising a seminar by some guy from Yorkshire who
      claims to be the World Memory Champion!"

      "It's not David Thomas, is it?" I said, prepared to be suitably
      outraged.

      "That's the one!" said my boss, and went off to get the leaflet. On
      closer inspection, however, it turns out to say "Yorkshire's own
      world memory record holder, David Thomas", which isn't so personally
      offensive to me. Still, I'm not sure how accurate it is. David, if
      you're reading this, or anyone else out there in the know, do you
      actually hold a memory world record? I know you had the European
      record for pi, but I can't think of another one.

      I'm not accusing you of lying about your achievements to get people
      to your seminars, I just like to know who holds the records for
      what, and it's hard to keep track sometimes...

      Ben
    • Aldo
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 1:57 AM
        Hi Ben

        I have also read this claim, amongst others who have been wrong. Not
        that I know whether this is wrong or not.I'm trying to compile a kind
        of historical document for my own interest.

        Tony Buzan claims he holds a world record for number memory in one of
        his books.

        I'm also in need of getting my facts straight. Is or was this ever true?

        Cheers
        Aldo

        --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Pridmore" <zoom_zoom_ben@y...> wrote:

        > My boss came into the office this morning saying "I've got a thing
        > on my desk advertising a seminar by some guy from Yorkshire who
        > claims to be the World Memory Champion!"
        >
        > "It's not David Thomas, is it?" I said, prepared to be suitably
        > outraged.
        >
        > "That's the one!" said my boss, and went off to get the leaflet. On
        > closer inspection, however, it turns out to say "Yorkshire's own
        > world memory record holder, David Thomas", which isn't so personally
        > offensive to me. Still, I'm not sure how accurate it is. David, if
        > you're reading this, or anyone else out there in the know, do you
        > actually hold a memory world record? I know you had the European
        > record for pi, but I can't think of another one.
        >
        > I'm not accusing you of lying about your achievements to get people
        > to your seminars, I just like to know who holds the records for
        > what, and it's hard to keep track sometimes...
        >
        > Ben
      • Rob Carder
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 3:04 AM
          The old issue returns again as to what is a world record in memory. In any of the WMC events the record is only ratified if it is beaten IN COMPETITION. But what about other records?

          Surely I could break the world record for the most numbers remembered in 2 minutes 47 seconds, if no one else has attempted such a record?

          Thought the pi record that he did was only a Britsh record not a world record.

          Be interested to know what claims he is making but sure he can support them. He has marketed himself extremely well appearing on shows such as Oprah and doing regular presentations for varous companies. When you look at his performances in memory they are all nothing more than average in relation to current WMC standard. He achieved Grandmaster level but so many of us have that too now. What he has done that most people haven't (due to not wanting to or not being able to) is market himself extraordinarily well. Fair play to him (assuming he is not making bogus claims). Sure he isn't.

        • Ben Pridmore
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1 4:28 AM
            David's record for memorising 22,500 digits of pi was a British and
            European record at the time. It was broken last year by Daniel
            Tammet with 22,514, which raises another question - should records
            really be recognised if they're such a small improvement on the
            round number achieved by the previous record holder?

            On David's website it refers to the record as "a Guinness Book of
            Records® memory record that had stood for 18 years." That's a
            reference to Creighton Carvello's old world record of 20,000, which
            had been beaten by three non-Europeans by the time David did his
            22,500. While the website doesn't claim it to be a world record, I
            can see how it would be possible for the person who wrote the flyer
            to have misinterpreted it and assumed David was a world record
            holder.

            Incidentally, I'm thinking of doing 50,000 later this year, probably
            around August time, to drum up a bit of publicity for the MSO. But
            I've only just started with memorising, so I might find that it's
            too much for me and do something else instead. I gather I'm not the
            only person talking about breaking the record this year, too, which
            is good. It's been ten years now, and it's high time someone made
            another attempt!

            Ben

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1 4:32 AM
              Regarding Tony Buzan, I'm fairly sure it's true that he held a
              record of some kind at one time, although I can't find details of it
              on the internet right now. After all, he was writing memory books
              long before there was ever a world championship or any kind of
              organised rules and regulations for world records (not that there
              really is today, but the organisation is a lot more coherent now
              than it was!). He could basically have done any kind of memory
              performance and truthfully said that it was a world record. But
              unless it was something that has never been attempted since, I don't
              think he still holds one now.

              Ben

              --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo" <aldolilly8@y...> wrote:

              > Hi Ben
              >
              > I have also read this claim, amongst others who have been wrong.
              Not
              > that I know whether this is wrong or not.I'm trying to compile a
              kind
              > of historical document for my own interest.
              >
              > Tony Buzan claims he holds a world record for number memory in one
              of
              > his books.
              >
              > I'm also in need of getting my facts straight. Is or was this
              ever true?

              > Cheers
              > Aldo

            • Aldo
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1 5:16 AM
                Thanks much Ben

                Thought that was about the size of it.

                I also seem to remember David Thomas referring to himself as a media
                tart. Fair enough, but I'm sure there's a less desperate way to earn
                a living in either case.

                Interesting look to his new fireman cd. Very heroic!

                http://www.davidthomas.tv/product-centre/max-your-memory.asp

                Cheers
                Aldo

                -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Pridmore" <zoom_zoom_ben@y...> wrote:

                > Regarding Tony Buzan, I'm fairly sure it's true that he held a
                > record of some kind at one time, although I can't find details of it
                > on the internet right now. After all, he was writing memory books
                > long before there was ever a world championship or any kind of
                > organised rules and regulations for world records (not that there
                > really is today, but the organisation is a lot more coherent now
                > than it was!). He could basically have done any kind of memory
                > performance and truthfully said that it was a world record. But
                > unless it was something that has never been attempted since, I don't
                > think he still holds one now.
                >
                > Ben
                >
                > --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo" <aldolilly8@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Ben
                > >
                > > I have also read this claim, amongst others who have been wrong.
                > Not
                > > that I know whether this is wrong or not.I'm trying to compile a
                > kind
                > > of historical document for my own interest.
                > >
                > > Tony Buzan claims he holds a world record for number memory in one
                > of
                > > his books.
                > >
                > > I'm also in need of getting my facts straight. Is or was this
                > ever true?
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > > Aldo

              • Aldo
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1 5:26 AM
                  I made some enquiries about his memory readiness memory program a few
                  years back. It sounded really good. It turned out it wasn't his,
                  although their original newsletters and trademarked concepts were all
                  over his site.

                  Glad he managed to clear that one up
                  Cheers
                  Aldo

                  The Memory Readiness company is good, but its not his.
                  http://www.memoryzine.com/

                  --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, Rob Carder <robcarder28@y...> wrote:
                  > The old issue returns again as to what is a world record in memory.
                  In any of the WMC events the record is only ratified if it is beaten
                  IN COMPETITION. But what about other records?

                  > Surely I could break the world record for the most numbers
                  remembered in 2 minutes 47 seconds, if no one else has attempted such
                  a record?

                  > Thought the pi record that he did was only a Britsh record not a
                  world record.

                  > Be interested to know what claims he is making but sure he can
                  support them. He has marketed himself extremely well appearing on
                  shows such as Oprah and doing regular presentations for varous
                  companies. When you look at his performances in memory they are all
                  nothing more than average in relation to current WMC standard. He
                  achieved Grandmaster level but so many of us have that too now. What
                  he has done that most people haven't (due to not wanting to or not
                  being able to) is market himself extraordinarily well. Fair play to
                  him (assuming he is not making bogus claims). Sure he isn't.

                • Martin Naylor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2 12:01 AM
                    HI THE FIRST 2 BOOKS I BOUGHT
                    where 2 books by buzan speed memory and speed reeding
                    and at the end of the book he said if any one can read at 350 words and comrehend 50% i will discount five pound of the next course personally
                    does this still hopd true
                    martin

                    Aldo <aldolilly8@...> wrote:

                    Thanks much Ben

                    Thought that was about the size of it.

                    I also seem to remember David Thomas referring to himself as a media
                    tart. Fair enough, but I'm sure there's a less desperate way to earn
                    a living in either case.

                    Interesting look to his new fireman cd. Very heroic!

                    http://www.davidthomas.tv/product-centre/max-your-memory.asp

                    Cheers
                    Aldo

                    -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Pridmore" <zoom_zoom_ben@y...> wrote:

                    > Regarding Tony Buzan, I'm fairly sure it's true that he held a
                    > record of some kind at one time, although I can't find details of it
                    > on the internet right now. After all, he was writing memory books
                    > long before there was ever a world championship or any kind of
                    > organised rules and regulations for world records (not that there
                    > really is today, but the organisation is a lot more coherent now
                    > than it was!). He could basically have done any kind of memory
                    > performance and truthfully said that it was a world record. But
                    > unless it was something that has never been attempted since, I don't
                    > think he still holds one now.
                    >
                    > Ben
                    >
                    > --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo" <aldolilly8@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Ben
                    > >
                    > > I have also read this claim, amongst others who have been wrong.
                    > Not
                    > > that I know whether this is wrong or not.I'm trying to compile a
                    > kind
                    > > of historical document for my own interest.
                    > >
                    > > Tony Buzan claims he holds a world record for number memory in one
                    > of
                    > > his books.
                    > >
                    > > I'm also in need of getting my facts straight. Is or was this
                    > ever true?
                    > >
                    > > Cheers
                    > > Aldo

                    Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at http://ludism.org/mentat for information on how to become a better thinker.

                  • Aldo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2 12:48 AM
                      The sales pitch is never ending:)

                      Everyone can win! Present him with a legal text and win your discount
                      to an expensive course on skimming (reading at high speed with low
                      comprehension). Any comprehension level below 75% is unacceptable for
                      normal reading. When you ever get to the unacceptable level (we all
                      do momently), then the sensible option would be to notice it, and
                      re-read at a more powerful pace (usually slower).

                      Alternatively, you can enrol in the course, practice juggling and
                      reading lines backwards or ten at a time, do general knowledge or
                      skimming oriented quizzes for verification, and call yourself a
                      speedreader.

                      Cheers
                      Aldo

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2 4:57 AM
                        Don't Tony's courses cost £3000 or so? A five pound discount from
                        that doesn't really make much difference...

                        wrote:
                        > HI THE FIRST 2 BOOKS I BOUGHT
                        > where 2 books by buzan speed memory and speed reeding
                        > and at the end of the book he said if any one can read at 350
                        words and comrehend 50% i will discount five pound of the next
                        course personally
                        > does this still hopd true
                        > martin
                        >

                        > Aldo <aldolilly8@y...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Thanks much Ben
                        >
                        > Thought that was about the size of it.
                        >
                        > I also seem to remember David Thomas referring to himself as a
                        media
                        > tart. Fair enough, but I'm sure there's a less desperate way to
                        earn
                        > a living in either case.
                        >
                        > Interesting look to his new fireman cd. Very heroic!
                        >
                        > http://www.davidthomas.tv/product-centre/max-your-memory.asp
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Aldo
                        >

                        > -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Pridmore" <zoom_zoom_ben@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > > Regarding Tony Buzan, I'm fairly sure it's true that he held a
                        > > record of some kind at one time, although I can't find details
                        of it
                        > > on the internet right now. After all, he was writing memory
                        books
                        > > long before there was ever a world championship or any kind of
                        > > organised rules and regulations for world records (not that
                        there
                        > > really is today, but the organisation is a lot more coherent now
                        > > than it was!). He could basically have done any kind of memory
                        > > performance and truthfully said that it was a world record. But
                        > > unless it was something that has never been attempted since, I
                        don't
                        > > think he still holds one now.
                        > >
                        > > Ben
                        > >
                        > > --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo" <aldolilly8@y...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Ben
                        > > >
                        > > > I have also read this claim, amongst others who have been
                        wrong.
                        > > Not
                        > > > that I know whether this is wrong or not.I'm trying to compile
                        > > kind
                        > > > of historical document for my own interest.
                        > > >
                        > > > Tony Buzan claims he holds a world record for number memory in
                        one
                        > > of
                        > > > his books.
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm also in need of getting my facts straight. Is or was
                        this
                        > > ever true?
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers
                        > > > Aldo
                        > > >

                        > Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at http://ludism.org/mentat
                        for information on how to become a better thinker.

                        Service.

                      • Aldo
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2 5:12 AM
                          True Ben

                          But just extrapolate that in words per minute terms. If you take the
                          course at the age of about 20 and reduce the money spent by five huge
                          quid, that will mean he has given you all those extra speedread words
                          over your lifetime for free (there would be a lot of minutes in your
                          life hopefully).

                          What a bargain:)

                          Cheers
                          Aldo
                          P.S. You could take the five quid and enrol in a college study methods
                          course to gain a more accurate idea of comprehension.