Spam

  • elliott@bignell.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
      Hi, all,

      This is rather off-topic, for which I apologise, but I think it's in a good
      cause - I'm probably not the only one going spare with spam. The BBC just
      featured a new screen saver designed to bombard the spammers with bogus
      requests and so destroy their business model - which relies on sending out
      millions of ads at zero cost for the tiny number of sales generated. The
      screen saver, which appears to be kosher to me, hits them with fake
      requests, forcing them to pay for bandwidth. The article is here:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4051553.stm and the screen saver is
      here: http://makelovenotspam.com/intl/

      Cheers...
      Elliott
    • Aldo
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        Greetings Elliott

        This is a gem. I have installed it and my mind is now planning to do
        other preemptive mischief to the said salesmen. I just wonder where
        this cycle of spam is going to end?

        With some satisfaction
        Aldo

      • elliott@bignell.demon.co.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi, Aldo,

          Pass it on! The most intelligent suggestions I've seen for destroying
          spammers involve attacking their business model. They depend on sending out
          huge volumes of mail, which effectively costs nothing, in return for a very
          small level of uptake. One way to hit them would be to involve them in
          working through an equal volume of completely bogus replies, say by deluging
          them with sales on false credit card numbers. Not sure of the legality,
          though.

          New HeadCase version yesterday - lots of new useability features. See
          headcaseinfo or download from www.loanedgenius.com

          Cheers...
          Elliott
        • Luis Bretel
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            Dear friends:

            We invite all of you that speak spanish to this workshop:
            http://www.pucp.edu.pe/cmp/tallerABP/taller_aprendizaje.htm

            Luis Bretel

            Pass it on! The most intelligent suggestions I've seen for destroying
            spammers involve attacking their business model. They depend on sending out
            huge volumes of mail, which effectively costs nothing, in return for a very
            small level of uptake. One way to hit them would be to involve them in
            working through an equal volume of completely bogus replies, say by deluging
            them with sales on false credit card numbers. Not sure of the legality,
            though.

            New HeadCase version yesterday - lots of new useability features. See
            headcaseinfo or download from www.loanedgenius.com

            Cheers...
            Elliott

            Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at http://ludism.org/mentat for
            information on how to become a better thinker.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Martin Naylor
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
              hi
              a company as started doing this i've lost address, but it does exactly as you say, sends repeated messages back forcing them to pay for bandwith, from huge amount of emails received,
              martin
              elliott@... wrote:
              Hi, Aldo,

              Pass it on! The most intelligent suggestions I've seen for destroying
              spammers involve attacking their business model. They depend on sending out
              huge volumes of mail, which effectively costs nothing, in return for a very
              small level of uptake. One way to hit them would be to involve them in
              working through an equal volume of completely bogus replies, say by deluging
              them with sales on false credit card numbers. Not sure of the legality,
              though.

              New HeadCase version yesterday - lots of new useability features. See
              headcaseinfo or download from www.loanedgenius.com

              Cheers...
              Elliott

              Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at http://ludism.org/mentat for information on how to become a better thinker.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Aldo
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                Sod the legality

                I don't mind being an outlaw in this case. Unless someone could put
                me straight about any possible detriment to humanity. (could prompt a
                discussion on misinformation and truth I suppose)

                Cheers
                Aldo

                --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, elliott@b... wrote:
                > Hi, Aldo,
                >
                > Pass it on! The most intelligent suggestions I've seen for destroying
                > spammers involve attacking their business model. They depend on
                sending out
                > huge volumes of mail, which effectively costs nothing, in return for
                a very
                > small level of uptake. One way to hit them would be to involve them in
                > working through an equal volume of completely bogus replies, say by
                deluging
                > them with sales on false credit card numbers. Not sure of the legality,
                > though.
                >
                > New HeadCase version yesterday - lots of new useability features. See
                > headcaseinfo or download from www.loanedgenius.com
                >
                > Cheers...
                > Elliott
              • Aldo
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Hi Luis

                  Glad to read something in foreign

                  My totally limited Spanish understanding has be believing this
                  invitation is something about problem solving. Si?

                  Regards
                  Aldo

                  -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Bretel" <lbretel@p...> wrote:
                  > Dear friends:
                  >
                  > We invite all of you that speak spanish to this workshop:
                  > http://www.pucp.edu.pe/cmp/tallerABP/taller_aprendizaje.htm
                  >
                  > Luis Bretel

                • Linda
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                    Linda here.

                    I bookmarked the Spanish language web page and intend to search the
                    site more. It has a unique way of presenting material using group
                    study, and taking the approach of reversing the usual order of
                    presenting information and then showing application to problems.
                    They want to present the problem first and then teach the
                    information.

                    I'm looking forward to learning more about the approach.

                    Linda
                    Who lives about 16
                    miles from Mexico, which
                    has a very fine educational
                    system.

                    --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Aldo" <aldolilly8@y...> wrote:

                    > Hi Luis
                    >
                    > Glad to read something in foreign
                    >
                    > My totally limited Spanish understanding has be believing this
                    > invitation is something about problem solving. Si?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Aldo
                    >

                    > -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "Luis Bretel" <lbretel@p...> wrote:
                    > > Dear friends:
                    > >
                    > > We invite all of you that speak spanish to this workshop:
                    > > http://www.pucp.edu.pe/cmp/tallerABP/taller_aprendizaje.htm
                    > >
                    > > Luis Bretel

                  • Aldo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004