Re: [wwbc] Dominic

  • Rob Carder
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2004
      I'll try and answer some of your questions.

      Dominic always said he was unlikely to attend this year and is presumably considering whether to ever again. He has nothing to prove and gave some great memory systems for everyone. The WMC would have been zero without him. I cannot speak for him, but I would guess that maybe he does not have the motivation anymore to train so hard to try and win. The standard has increased so much that it would mean even more training now.

      Andi. Well Andi I doubt has trained much this year however even his best score is someway distant of Ben's. I would question whether we will see Andi again either as he appears to want to be more involved in organising.

      Ben mentioned his method in this site about a year ago I think so I don't think I am 'letting the cat out of the bag'. I'll let Ben explain his methods clearly as I'll probably do them a huge injustice.

      What method are the Germans/Austrians using for the poem? The scores have improved so much. Ben perhaps you might be able to hazard a guess at what this is.

      Is it 1000 most common words fitted to pegs?

      joeymorgan9 <joeymorgan9@...> wrote:
      Also, why was Dominic O'brien missing?

      Also see the collabarative Mentat Wiki at http://ludism.org/mentat for information on how to become a better thinker.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • joeymorgan9
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 1, 2004
        Thanks Rob!
      • Paul Murphy
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 15, 2005
          Can someone explain something Dominic says is his book? It's about remembering directions. He gives one method using a golf course as a locus, but for people like me who don't play golf he says, "try using a familiar journey to record the instructions...a route through your own town will more than suffice."

          I don't understand this. When I leave home in the morning I walk to work by going to the end of my road, turning left then right then left again. So how do I memorise directions to find somewhere new like, "Take the 3rd right, 2nd left, then straight ahead then 1st right..."

          Dominic completely lost me here. What am I supposed to do to use a familiar journey to record instructions?

          Thanks.

        • lacivert
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
            Hi Paul,

            I read the same chapter again, and I will try to
            explain what I understood. However, since I have never
            ever played golf, I will use another mediator to
            discuss it. Actually the mediator, to my mind, can be
            anything you know well or interested in as long as it
            suits you. Say you are interested in football and want
            to remember certain directions through using football.
            This means you should assign abc of finding directions
            to abc of football and denote the former with the
            latter. Does it sound complicated? Actually it is not.
            Let us say that you have only tree possibilities in
            finding directions (in fact it is more but I try to
            simplify it): turn left, turn right, and exit off the
            roundabouts. Now you have to use certain things from
            football to represent each.

            Throw-in: turn left
            Corner kick: turn right
            Kick off : exit off the roundabouts

            After you finish assigning all possibilities onto
            features of football you can easily memorise all the
            directions. Let's try this with Dominic's example
            using football instead of golf (page 52).

            1 Left into Western Avenue
            2 Right into Cannonsgate Road
            3 Third exit off the roundabout

            1: Left into Western Avenue: a hostile action-packed
            scene of cowboys and Indians engaged in a football
            match; one of the cowboys "throw in" the ball.

            2 Right into Cannonsgate Road: one of the Indians uses
            a "corner kick". However he installs a canon to
            accelerate the ball making it more perilous.

            3 Third exit off the roundabout: Second half of the
            match will start with in seconds. Both sides are ready
            for the kick off. However there are "three balls"
            instead of one. You are perplexed and asked the
            referee which ball to use (three balls whisper the
            third exit).

            I think this is how it works. You can have the whole
            imagining on a football pitch or you can use scenes
            from a football match (the ones I mentioned above) and
            link them into a complete story and then put it into a
            Roman room or any other convenient way that works for
            you. As you can see, you can use different domains for
            the same thing as long as it attracts your attention
            and provided that you first assigned possible
            combinations of finding directions onto certain
            features of that particular field.

            I hope, now you can tailor cut it for your own use.

            Cheers
            Umut

            --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, Paul Murphy <paulmurphy42@y...> wrote:
            > Can someone explain something Dominic says is his book? It's about
            remembering directions. He gives one method using a golf course as a
            locus, but for people like me who don't play golf he says, "try
            using a familiar journey to record the instructions...a route
            through your own town will more than suffice."

            > I don't understand this. When I leave home in the morning I walk
            to work by going to the end of my road, turning left then right then
            left again. So how do I memorise directions to find somewhere new
            like, "Take the 3rd right, 2nd left, then straight ahead then 1st
            right..."

            > Dominic completely lost me here. What am I supposed to do to use a
            familiar journey to record instructions?

            > Thanks.

          • Henrique Athayde
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 28, 2005
              Hi people! This direction technique sounds pretty interesting, but in
              what book Dominic teaches it? I got "Learn To Remember" and this one
              sounds a little incomplete...

              Best regards,

              Henrique Athayde

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 28, 2005
                How to develop a perfect memory. 1993.
                Chapter 9. How to remember directions.

                HA> Hi people! This direction technique sounds pretty interesting, but in
                HA> what book Dominic teaches it? I got "Learn To Remember" and this one
                HA> sounds a little incomplete...

                HA> Best regards,

                HA> Henrique Athayde

                Sincerely Yours, Oleg Stepanov.