Matteo Richi, anyone?

  • animalwaves
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
      Does anyone use - as Hannibal Lector does - a memory palace on this
      scale to remember encyclopaedically?

      Myself, I keep adding to the SEM cubed thing.

    • elliott@bignell.demon.co.uk
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
        I tried to build a Room when I first joined the group, but found it even
        less successful than my attempts at peg systems. I remember using an image
        to note Howards Marks' prison number as an exercise, using Major System
        coding for the digits, and noticed after creating it that I'd used a wrong
        letter. I corrected the phrase and image to match the correct information.
        About three years on, I can remember both examples perfectly, but I CAN'T
        TELL WHICH WAS WRONG. I probably should have tagged it with cobwebs, or
        something.

        I do know where I can get some fava beans and a nice chianti, mind. Got to
        have your priorities straight...

        Cheers...
        Elliott

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
          I also had problems with the Roman room or memory palace idea. I
          found it a little too dark. And I think most people struggle with peg
          systems. I still think the best way is to use pleasant outdoor
          routes. Simple linear walks with distinctive loci.

          If I were Hannibal, stuck inside all day, any indoor place- even a
          palace- would do my head in.

          Aldo

          --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, elliott@b... wrote:
          > I tried to build a Room when I first joined the group, but found it even
          > less successful than my attempts at peg systems. I remember using an
          image
          > to note Howards Marks' prison number as an exercise, using Major System
          > coding for the digits, and noticed after creating it that I'd used a
          wrong
          > letter. I corrected the phrase and image to match the correct
          information.
          > About three years on, I can remember both examples perfectly, but I
          CAN'T
          > TELL WHICH WAS WRONG. I probably should have tagged it with cobwebs, or
          > something.
          >
          > I do know where I can get some fava beans and a nice chianti, mind.
          Got to
          > have your priorities straight...
          >
          > Cheers...
          > Elliott

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
            >I also had problems with the Roman room or memory palace idea. I
            > found it a little too dark. And I think most people struggle with peg
            > systems. I still think the best way is to use pleasant outdoor
            > routes. Simple linear walks with distinctive loci.

            Out of interest, did you create an imaginary room or based it on a room in
            your house?

            Peter
          • aldolilly8
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
              Hi Peter

              In the beginning I tried all methods- Imaginary, real, and a
              combination of the two. I still found indoor places less effective
              than an outdoor routes or places. I think it is partly because it is
              easier to imagine bright images outside in context, and also outdoor
              features tend to be more distinct and show more contrast. I also
              found it easier to use a simple link system (with improvised subloci)
              in outside contexts.

              I'm way past that early training stage now, and I find it fairly easy
              to use pegs, indoor places, and of course the enormously flexible link
              system. (still find SEM3 and mindmops frustrating though).

              I believe the optimal method for beginners is an outdoor route, with
              paired images on each locus. Eg, Place the Sun interacting with a
              thermometer(mercury) on the first locus, a goddess(Venus) interacting
              with a pile of Earth on the second etc.

              The paired image method promotes conceptual linking (still quite
              memorable even after the route is reused, and focuses on linking
              within the subject rather than just linking to a route), and
              emphasises the location principle while providing a powerful and user
              friendly method.

              Cheers
              Aldo

            • elliott@bignell.demon.co.uk
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                Aldo, have you tried combining routes with Mind Mapping? A Mind Map is just
                a branching set of routes from a central locus, after all. You could have a
                memory city, rather than a memory room.

                Elliott
              • aldolilly8
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                  Hi Elliott

                  I thoroughly tried cognitive and mind maps and found tham a too
                  abstract and tangential. But then again, I never use maps to explore,
                  prefering more experiential and interactive methods of covering an area.

                  I think they are ok for free association though, and I am impressed
                  with the various IT versions.

                  Cheers
                  Aldo

                  -- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, elliott@b... wrote:
                  > Aldo, have you tried combining routes with Mind Mapping? A Mind Map
                  is just
                  > a branching set of routes from a central locus, after all. You could
                  have a
                  > memory city, rather than a memory room.
                  >
                  > Elliott
                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                    Hi Aldo,

                    > features tend to be more distinct and show more contrast. I also
                    > found it easier to use a simple link system (with improvised subloci)
                    > in outside contexts.

                    What do you mean by improvised subloci? Imaginary journey's along an known
                    journey?

                    > I'm way past that early training stage now, and I find it fairly easy
                    > to use pegs, indoor places, and of course the enormously flexible link
                    > system. (still find SEM3 and mindmops frustrating though).

                    I've not gotten to SEM3 stuff yet, I just got a Tony Buzan book (Use Your
                    Head) book out of the library yesterday, I like it so far. What good books
                    are worth checking out for memory techniques, mnemonics etc.? So far I read
                    a few Dominic O'Brien books and an old Harry Lorayne one. What other stuff
                    should I be checking out in the future? I'm really hooked on this stuff.

                    > I believe the optimal method for beginners is an outdoor route, with
                    > paired images on each locus. Eg, Place the Sun interacting with a
                    > thermometer(mercury) on the first locus, a goddess(Venus) interacting
                    > with a pile of Earth on the second etc.

                    Yes, there's an excellent article on happychild.org.uk demonstrating that
                    method using the solar-system for those [beginners] interested.

                    > The paired image method promotes conceptual linking (still quite

                    Yes, I found they re-inforce each other, a lot harder to forget.

                    Cheers,
                    Peter.
                  • aldolilly8
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                      Hello Peter

                      Subloci
                      When you work with improvised mnemonics you tend to start with a
                      place. For example if you are learning about Paris, you might have an
                      image of the Eifel tower. That is a kind of locus. You may not be so
                      sure of the surroundings, but your imagination can kind of elaborate
                      further subloci that can be used to link further things in the same
                      scene.

                      I think the Buzan books are kind of initially inspiring because he
                      explicitly shows how mnemonics can be extensible. However, I don't
                      know anyone who can use the SEM3 technique. I found it disappointing
                      Looks nice and technical, but it was not worth the investment for me.
                      Similarly with the mindmap. Looks pretty fancy but I could not "get
                      into" or really experience it in the same way as mnemonics, or similar
                      learning enhancers such as stories or computer adventure games. In
                      fact, I have seen more interactive graphic representations even shown
                      in monochrome. For example, the Concept Plan. (intuitively arranging
                      ideas in space represented by buildings and landmarks).

                      For me, the most inspiring thing is the wonder of the imagination and
                      the mental image. And I like simple "systems" that are closer to
                      natural communication (stories or descriptions of scenes).

                      It is not really the technique that amazes me, but how I can make
                      great images in the mind and on paper to enhance my learning.

                      ATB
                      Aldo

                    • elliott@bignell.demon.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                        Hi, Aldo,

                        If HeadCase proves a going proposition, the long-term vision is to do much
                        more than paper-style Mind Mapping. It is already possible, as a small
                        indication of what can be done, to attach textual notes to branches which
                        pop up as you mouse over them. This allows you to combine standard
                        single-word Mind Mapping technique with more verbose note-making.

                        I have already prototyped methods to add ActiveX controls and Office
                        documents to branches, and I have plans to introduce components over time
                        that will enable you to make non-Mind Map visual notes, such as cluster
                        diagrams, UML documents and so on.

                        Further on, OpenGL, scripting and a bunch of other proven technologies will
                        enable HeadCase to create truly interactive entities that will be a far
                        descendant of the paper Mind Map. "Motion" will not just be a set of lines
                        providing a hint - it will be possible create and script Mind Mapping
                        applications that actually move and change in response to interaction. 3D
                        objects will rotate as you drag them about.

                        In effect, I have determined - if I survive as a company - to pick up the
                        baton for Tony Buzan and create a new Mind Mapping concept for the
                        information age. Support me!

                        Cheers...
                        Elliott

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                          Sounds spot on, Elliott

                          Perhaps the map will eventually evolve into a different metaphor
                          entirely. Something more engaging and universally appealing!

                          Another view?

                          Good prospects!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                            Grazie, Aldo. Frankly, I'm astonished that I got this far. The basic
                            framework has taken about 18 months longer to stabilise and debug than I had
                            planned for. I'm bitterly lonely, often depressed and if they try to cremate
                            me after this I'll take a month to settle.

                            HOWEVER, the vision remains. I've made some effort to make sure that others
                            can contribute to the project - so far, in vain, but we'll get there. The
                            vision is for the app to grow beyond my control and acquire a life of its
                            own. Eventually, I'll be able to document and publish an increasing number
                            of ways to extend and modify HeadCase, and eventually, I hope, the project
                            will slip its leash.

                            The next step is a capacity to create and share artwork and custom styles.
                            Hopefully that'll make an impact.