NLP

  • ljq_89
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
      Dear all,

      in the realm of NLP, i heard somewhere that you have to know how to
      put in enough time to rest in order to boost your spirit.
      But however, in a book "I am gifted, so are you" by adam khoo, i saw
      that in order to attain a goal, you have to get out of your comfort
      zone and do whatever to attain this goal.

      NLP suggests to me that it is good to relax and should do so more
      often. But adam khoo suggests to me that it is okay but only little
      relaxation should be there and everything should be done to get the
      goal.

      I know many people would agree with NLP but i often find myself not
      having enough discipline to continue with my work with NLP and not
      being happy enough with the free time after finishing my work.
      But with adam khoo's method, i would often stress myself out or
      accidentally putting too much work load on myself and would "relax"
      myself for the next few days to "relieve the stress".

      What can i do and which of the methods or other methods should i use?

      Regards,
      ljq
    • evebond30
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi LJQ

        I guess the author (Khoo) comes from the far east. I suspect the
        timetable is completely full of study. Probably quite a different
        motivation level as regards education. Realise that in some
        societies, education is so highly admired that succeeding as such
        feels really good and so the payoff will be higher. Not so in all
        cultures. If I studied like that during my teens, I would probably
        end up considering myself a total nerd, "educationally" unbalanced,
        and end up losing precious self regard.

        Its important to achieve what you think is important. But its also
        important to do it in a way you feel comfortable with. I suggest
        forgetting about comfort zones, NLP etc and just seeing what you feel
        happy with long term (fit learning and work into your lifestyle long
        term). I realised, after my friend sustained a breakdown with her 1st
        honours degree, that it's no good sticking a rocket up it and blasting
        off with self motivation if you end up in a place you don't like.

        I found that taking regular breaks, and scheduling my leisure time
        above work time got more work done than anything else. But I'm
        motivated towards leisure, and I intend to sustain that lifestyle.

        I'd always consider the perspective of the author!
        Advice can be a dangerous thing!

        ATB
        Eve

        --- In wwbc@yahoogroups.com, "ljq_89" <ljq13@h...> wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > in the realm of NLP, i heard somewhere that you have to know how to
        > put in enough time to rest in order to boost your spirit.
        > But however, in a book "I am gifted, so are you" by adam khoo, i saw
        > that in order to attain a goal, you have to get out of your comfort
        > zone and do whatever to attain this goal.
        >
        > NLP suggests to me that it is good to relax and should do so more
        > often. But adam khoo suggests to me that it is okay but only little
        > relaxation should be there and everything should be done to get the
        > goal.
        >
        > I know many people would agree with NLP but i often find myself not
        > having enough discipline to continue with my work with NLP and not
        > being happy enough with the free time after finishing my work.
        > But with adam khoo's method, i would often stress myself out or
        > accidentally putting too much work load on myself and would "relax"
        > myself for the next few days to "relieve the stress".
        >
        > What can i do and which of the methods or other methods should i use?
        >
        > Regards,
        > ljq
      • evebond30
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 8, 2004
          Just been reviewing some ed psych advice on note making

          There is plenty around, and a lot of it draws from the hierarchical
          organization prescription developed a few centuries ago (heading,
          subheading etc). Obviously its good to organize stuff, but there are
          other ways that learners often don't make use of.

          Sequential can offer a single organization in time, but also has an
          inherent natural hierarchy. I suppose the question is; is it better
          to handle the info in a way so as to interact with it more for the
          sake of learning, or is it sufficient to rely on a kind of automatic
          organization response (natural flow of hierarchies, let it land as it
          may).

          I suspect it doesn't matter how well it's organized, as long as it is
          well represented and stimulating to the reader/reviewer. If its
          stimulating it will be memorable, and therefore any organization can
          be dealt with in the mind of the reader.

          Is a sequential organization more like a story? Is a story a kind of
          hierarchy?

          Eve