"Learn to Remember"

  • HarryC
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
      This is Dominic O'Brien's short version of his "How to Develop a Perfect Memory:. Or I guess it is the short version. I have never been able to find the latter. Even extensive library searches have not turned it up. But "Learn to Remember" is very interesting. I have created the requisite 100 "personalities" and can go through them in 3 minutes and 35 or 40 seconds as of now. I'm sure a bit more practice will get me through them in 60 seconds or under. I have not yet employed it seriously for memorizing numbers, although I intend to do so. If I played cards I think I would find it very useful for remembering which cards had been played. Having said all this I must confess I have reservations about some of the book's content. I shall defer judgment for the present.

      Harry

    • GeorgeWade
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
        Memory is beginning to make sense *(^+^)*

        Our master trainer gave us a list of ten words at 5" intervals.

        Hurriedly I put them into images of themselves in ten locations,
        windows; doors; coffee table; easle. Then was able to remember 6 of
        them; it would have been only 3 without locations.

        Next we got a number shape peg system:

        1 -> brush or candle
        2 -> swan
        3 -> trident... and so on.

        Then ten more words: hibernate -> a bear in the shape of a candle, with
        a flame to keep warm, in an ice cave. That image was a joint effort,
        then we went on to make our own images for 9 more words.

        I placed each of my peg + images at successive locations as before.
        This time I could remember 8 words. Next morning I could remember all
        10 in a surprise test. Everyone got similar improvements.

        The number of items does not compare with the champions but the method
        and improvement does.

        As text only does this make any sense? Are pictures required?

        George
        Back in Little White Rock