Re: [wwbc] Sage?

  • elliott@bignell.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
      I don't know the etymology, but it may be of significance that the French,
      German and Italian translations are sauge, Salbei and salvia respectively.
      The similarities are strong enough to warrant the assumption that either the
      origin of the names predates the divergence of the languages or that the
      name travelled with the spread of the herb itself and was adapted to fit the
      local language. I would be surprised, on that basis, if it turned out to
      have anything to do with wisdom.

      Elliott

        On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 01:24 AM,
        elliott@... wrote:

        > I don't know the etymology, but it may be of significance that the
        > French,
        > German and Italian translations are sauge, Salbei and salvia
        > respectively.
        > The similarities are strong enough to warrant the assumption that
        > either the
        > origin of the names predates the divergence of the languages or that
        > the
        > name travelled with the spread of the herb itself and was adapted to
        > fit the
        > local language. I would be surprised, on that basis, if it turned out
        > have anything to do with wisdom.

        Then Dr de Bono is right to point out that simple memory is not the
        same thing as understanding?

        Though I find that MM'd memory leads to nderstanding; so does just
        doing something, over time.

        George

      • cmartin336@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
          George,

          if you refer to the german word " Sage", then this means, that tales were
          verbally transferred from on generation to the other.

          These tales were based originally on facts, but changed during time over
          hundred of years.

          regards
          Claus

        • cmartin336@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
            Elliott,

            The substantive "Sage " is based on the verb

            "sagen", which is like "say" in english

            regards
            Claus

          • Fiona McPherson
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
              > Then Dr de Bono is right to point out that simple memory is not the
              > same thing as understanding?

              > Though I find that MM'd memory leads to nderstanding; so does just
              > doing something, over time.

              I would agree that simple memory is not the same as understanding.
              Understanding, as I see it, and as I explain in my book The Memory Key, is a
              product of making meaningful connections. This is why mind-mapping, and any
              other strategy that helps you make meaningful (not mnemonic!) connections,
              should lead to understanding. You can find an example of this on my website:
              http://www.memory-key.com/StudySkills/elaborating_information.htm
              Meaningfulness is also enhanced when the linked information is thematically
              labelled - another point for mind-mapping.

              Fiona

              Dr Fiona McPherson
              The Memory Key
              For information about memory and memory improvement
              <http://www.memory-key.com>

              TO SUBSCRIBE to my FREE newsletter, email:
              <mailto:admin@...>
            • Michael Ostrovski
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                According to my Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology the word sage has two different etymologies, depending on whether it's the plant or the profoundly wise man. The plant sage is derived from Latin salvia, the healing plant, from salvus, uninjured and from which words like salve, salvation, and safety come from and it has other word branches like salubrious, salute, salud, and I'll stop there before I put you to sleep.

                The wisdom derivation comes from Gallo-Roman sapere, be wise, from which we get words like sapient, Homo sapien, sagacious, and presage.

                Michael at Remember Words

                GeorgeWade <georgewade1@...> wrote:
                <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3189635.stm>

                How did 'Sage' get it's name?

                George

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                To unsubscribe via email: From your email program, send a blank message to:

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Claus, the link George posted referred to the herb sage, "Salbei" in german.
                  The german sounds like a Verdeutschung of the italian "salvia", which
                  presumably reflects the Latin.

                • cmartin336@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Elliot,

                    sorry. I saw only his email with the word "Sage"

                    regards
                    Claus