Aaargh!

  • elliott.bignell@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
      Does anyone have a working system for pain control? My attention was
      focussed on this issue a couple of months ago when I was crashing in the
      hills in Liguria in a place with no electricity. I went outside in the
      middle of the night to see a man about a dog, as it were, and promptly
      knocked off the end of a toe and most of the nail on a dangerously erratic
      boulder.

      As you can probably imagine, my first thought was that this was an
      inconvenient time to realise that agnostics like me have no-one to talk to
      during moments of excitement. (Who do atheists talk to during orgasm, come
      to that?) My second thought was that I could see the pain coming - given a
      working system I could probably have suppressed it instead of hopping about
      in the blackness and blaspheming. ("Deterministic Universe on a crutch!" -
      that kind of thing.)

      I read about a guy who actually developed a pain-control system during
      torture by the Gestapo, which I thought was admirably enterprising of the
      man. I also understand that some martial artists are taught to retaliate
      against a kick in the wossnames in the second or so left to them before they
      collapse in a squirming heap. Next time I hammer my thumb or come second in
      an argument with my ex it would be nice to be prepared.

      Cheers...
      Elliott
    • cmartin336@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
        Hi Elliott,

        you can control pain, if you have practised training like autogenic training,
        which was developed by professor Schulz.

        Yoga is another method. But it takes years of training.

        Easier it is to take a medicine with you.

        regards
        Claus

      • Judith Randolph
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
          Elliot,

          I am now in the Massage Therapy Program, (along with finishing my MBA) which
          is Swedish based, but we cover all the other modalities. So from that
          platform, there are pressure points and trigger points capable of
          extinguishing pain as well as releasing the bodies own opiates. You might
          want to add a search for pain control through body works...which includes
          hypnotism and since some Christians renounce the use of hypnotism, surely
          that will not be of consequence to you...self hypnotism, might help with the
          torturous pain that any ex might inflict...works for me.

          I intend to employ a few techniques myself tomorrow, as I visit the cursed
          dentist...my pain nightmare!

          Poor Elliot, hope there is no permanent damage. Oh and Mom's are right it
          having a caring person 'kiss it an make it better' always helps, set of a
          chemical response in our body when someone cares about our pain.

          Touch heals the body and the soul,
          Judy

        • globaltradingh@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
            Last night, I had the most weird dream ever, a man ran up to me at his last
            breathe and gave me the red apple. On the other hand, a beautiful womam was
            provoked by a
            dog and failed hard and die. At her last breathe, she had fixed her messy her
            to remain with her beauty and stick up one of her sexy legs.

            Tango

          • elliott.bignell@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
              This may be the first time someone has ever been driven insane by someone else's pain... :)

              Elliott

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
                Hi, Judith,

                I forgot the dentist - good point. I had to have a crown in January and the tooth in question seems to communicate with my nervous system by telepathy, rather than the usual electrical signals. At any rate, I was completely numb from the neck up - well, more so than usual, anyway - except for that blasted tooth, which was alive and kicking despite about a pint of anaesthetic. Another good example of an occasion when a pain control system would have been handy. I kept expecting the dentist to say, "Is it safe?" I hope you get on better!

                I'm interested in this because I noticed something odd when I whacked my toe - which is now fine, thanks. I wonder if it's a side-effect of the changes I've been making and trying to make since I joined WWBC. I literally saw the size and duration of the first shock coming and was able, to some extent, to "surf" over it without crying out. (I just swore a bit on general principles.) I was really asking if there's a purely mental approach. Conquering physical challenges through an effort of will is quite widespread, when you think about it - marathon runners and Tour cyclists master exhaustion and pain partly through a mental approach, for instance, although obviously training's of overwhelming importance. This extends into other areas such as immune function and disease resistance generally - positive attitude is very important in fighting cancer, for example. Just how much can we place under deliberate control?

                Cheers...
                Elliott

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
                  That's it! Identify the submodalities associated with a caring person's touch and anchor them to the experience of pain itself. That way, pain itself activates the submodalities needed to suppress it. Now I just need to get anchoring to work properly...

                  Cheers...
                  Elliott

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
                    Elliott,
                    You can control your pain through pleasure.
                    A long relaxing massage make tension and
                    pain disappear. It may also do more....

                    Lomax803

                    SEXUAL HEALTH Michael Gerber, M.D., H.M.D.

                    Body/mind pioneer Wilhelm Reich asserted that the repression of our natural sexuality was the cause of many diseases and social ills.

                    Emergence of sexual health as a topic of polite and even scholarly conversation has greatly to do with the genius of the psychiatrist, Wilhelm Reich, M.D. Raised as an Austrian Jew at the turn of the last century, he was a star student of Freud but moved far beyond Freudian limitations. Freud always maintained a body-mind duality and adhered to a lengthy therapy system of dream analysis and free association, with the physician being the passive observer and later the object of transference. In psychoanalyzing his patients, however, Reich noticed physical manifestations intimately associated with thoughts and emotions. He began working on his patients' bodies as well as their minds to change their state.

                    Reich improved their breathing and loosened the chronic tension in their muscles. He developed a system of therapy he called Character Analysis and formulated his theory of the function of the orgasm. To Reich, the orgasm was not just for pleasure or procreation but a means to re-equilibrate the entire energy system of the organism, and a requisite for physical and psychic health. Reich felt that due to social conditioning, the vast majority of people were incapable of having a true, or what he called a total, orgasm. He placed the causes of most of society's ills on sexual dysfunction.

                    Reich began to argue that distorted sexual attitudes and behavior stemmed from the major emphases and characteristics of capitalistic society itself: methods of child rearing and education; patriarchal patterns of family life; rigid moral structure; an authoritarian system of relationships; and alienating modes of work. Forever the iconoclast, Reich started movements of sexual liberation in the late l920's that were arguably 50 years ahead of their time and popular acceptance. He became a communist in Germany for some years and developed a sexual bill of rights that proposed the abolition of virtually all laws against sexual expression and freedom and included such specifics as the free availability and distribution of contraceptives to all, including teenagers, and sex education programs in the media and in businesses above a certain size.

                    Total orgasm can only happen if two partners are sufficiently free of "armor" for their bodies to function as clear channels for the unimpeded flow of energy and excitement.

                    Later Reich became enormously critical of communism and lost confidence in the left wing's ability to change the system. The fascinating story of Wilhelm Reich has been told in a number of books.

                    For the moment let's concentrate on his perception of the total orgasm. In a total orgasm both partners enjoy the experience of spontaneity and complete surrender. The natural buildup of sexual excitement gives way to a graceful release, like the breaking of an ocean wave or the pulsation's of a jellyfish. Ejaculation is smooth, unlike the normal contractions that people experience, which Reich attributed to individuals resisting full release. In defining this experience, in total orgasm the entire body, not just the narrow pelvic area, becomes physically aroused and charged, and involved in involuntary, rhythmic pulsations. The mind is aware only of the physical sensations of the moment.

                    Dr. Wilhelm Reich Reich defined his concept of orgastic potency as, "the capacity to surrender to the flow of biological energy, without any inhibition, the capacity for complete discharge of all dammed-up sexual excitation through involuntary, pleasurable contractions of the body." Descriptions of total orgasm always involve the concepts of complete surrender, delicious dissolving and a feeling of oneness with the universe. It is a qualitatively different experience than normal sex.

                    According to Reich, however, total orgasm can only happen if two partners can express their love to each other through mutual giving and surrender. A second requirement for full orgasm is that both partners be sufficiently free of "armor" for their bodies to function as clear channels for the unimpeded flow of energy and excitement. Armor is the storage of unresolved conflicts' "frozen history" of grief, anger, rage or fear which are repeatedly blocked from expression. This chronic repression can be stored in the musculature of the shoulders, back, chest, neck, face, pelvis and other parts of the body. Throughout his life Reich emphasized the necessity for the gradual dissolution of the armor. If done too rapidly it can precipitate highly disturbing memories such as feelings of abandonment and even panic.

                    In the full orgasm, breathing is of central importance. During therapy, Reich had observed that virtually all his patients breathed in a shallow, jerky or tense manner. Shallow breathing, he believed, functions physiologically to cut off deep feeling of any kind.

                    In the sex act, breathing should become deeper, more rhythmic than normal and pleasurable in itself. Shortly before orgasm, both sexes should experience deep, current-like sensations running up and down their bodies. Reich termed these "streamings."

                    If these conditions are not met and the energy flow is blocked, several consequences follow. The climax will be localized in the loins. Pleasure from foreplay and climax will quickly evaporate, and instead of deep satisfaction a sense of emptiness or fatigue can take over. Reich saw that the ability to lose ourselves wholly in the sexual embrace is the fundamental sign of emotional, physical and sexual well-being. Thus, for Reich the power of sex is not to be found in the orgasm per se, but in completely entering into the enjoyment of the present.

                    Additional Readings:

                    The Function of the Orgasm : Sex-Economic Problems of Biological Energy (Discovery of the Orgone, Vol. 1). Wilhelm Reich Paperback / Published 1986

                    Character Analysis. Wilhelm Reich, Vincent R. Carfagno (Translator) Paperback / Published 1980

                    Children of the Future: On the Prevention of Sexual Pathology. Wilhelm Reich, et al Paperback / Published 1984

                    Genitality: In the Theory and Therapy of Neurosis. Wilhelm Reich, et al Paperback / Published 1980

                    Listen, Little Man! Wilhelm Reich, Ralph Manheim (Translator) Paperback / Published 1985

                    Books about

                    Wilhelm Reich_______________________

                    Passion of Youth : An Autobiography, 1897-1922. Wilhelm Reich, et al Hardcover / Published 1988

                    Fury on Earth :A Biography of Wilhelm Reich. Myron R. Sharaf Paperback / Published 1994

                    Wilhelm Reich in Hell. Robert Anton Wilson Paperback / Published 1995

                    Reich called those people for whom the complete orgasm was a frequent or regular occurrence--as opposed to a once-or twice-in-a-lifetime experience--genital characters. They possess true emotional and physical health. He noted that anyone who is tense and immersed in fantasies or fretful thoughts during intercourse cannot be fully alive to the experience. So he maintained that the ability to enjoy a complete orgasm is a sure indicator of one's capacity to be truly spontaneous in life, to love in general, and to be emotionally and physically sensitive to the world at large.

                    It is important to see that Reich was not advocating sexual intercourse for its own sake or claiming that orgasm was the point of existence. Rather, orgastic potency was conceived of as an important criterion of full emotional health.

                    Reich frequently referred to the pulse of life. He recognized that everything in the universe pulsates, from amoebas to stars. Everything continually expands and contracts according to a natural rhythm. This is a basic expression of existence, inextricably involved with the overall life process of every organism. In humans, each of our organs and all of our biological and emotional functions expand and contract--the beating of our heart, the inhalation and exhalation of our lungs, even our inward and outward moods are all governed by this fundamental mechanism. Chronic armoring prevents pulsation; total orgasm dissolves the tensions and rebalances, or re-equilibrates, the overall energy flow of the body.

                    In his later years Reich felt that sexuality itself might be a tremendously powerful spiritual force. He seemed to see the full orgasmic experience as possessing a tremendous transforming power, capable of shattering an individual's feeling of isolation and alienation from the world. Essentially he was suggesting that the full orgasmic experience has the capacity to change, perhaps permanently, our daily human consciousness. He asserted that it is through the sexual orgasm that man and woman most closely experience the oneness with the cosmos that all religions speak of. In fact, the descriptions of surrender, peace, bliss and oneness associated with total orgasm correspond exactly with people's description of ecstatic religious experiences.

                    For this type of thinking and concepts such as orgone energy (universal bioenergy) and bions ( fundamental energy units), Reich managed to alienate the political, scientific and medical establishments of his day. He was imprisoned for distributing medical equipment across state lines (orgone boxes which accumulate the orgone energy for healing purposes) in 1956 and died in prison in 1957, two days before his parole hearings. The government also burned all of his books and destroyed most of his laboratory.

                    His life and ideas have influenced many later teachers and schools of philosophy and health including virtually all Western body/mind disciplines. Reich's theories also parallel many concepts in Ayurveda and Chinese medicine.

                    Sources:

                    My thanks to Timothy Fraser, D.D.S., M.A. for providing inspiration and understanding of Reich's principles to prepare this article. Some of the information in this article came Wrom: TZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJ

                    > Wrom: VTLBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWC
                    > Date: 2002/10/02 Wed AM 05:57:23 EDT
                    > To: <wwbc@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [wwbc] Aaargh!

                  • Judith Randolph
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
                      Yep that is correct, if Massage and bio-feed back doesn't work, sex can be
                      the answer, but be 'safe out there(The line from a TV show called Hill
                      Street Blues, but it should be the sexually active persons credo)

                      SEX- The benefits; >
                      Did you know that you can tell from the skin whether a person is
                      sexually active or not.

                      1. Sex is a beauty treatment. Scientific tests find that when woman
                      make love they produce amounts of the hormone estrogen, which make
                      hair shiny and skin smooth.

                      2. Gentle, relaxed lovemaking reduces your chances of suffering
                      dermatitis, skin rashes and blemishes. The sweat produced cleanses
                      the pores and makes your skin glow.

                      3. Lovemaking can burn up those calories you piled on during
                      that romantic dinner.

                      4. Sex is one of the safest sports you can take up. It stretches and
                      tones up just about every muscle in the body. It's more enjoyable than
                      swimming 20 laps, and you don't need special sneakers!

                      5. Sex is an instant cure for mild depression. It releases the chemical
                      endorphin into the bloodstream, producing a sense of euphoria and
                      leaving you with
                      a feeling of well-being.

                      6. The more sex you have, the more you will be offered. The sexually
                      active body gives off greater quantities of chemicals called
                      pheromones. These subtle sex perfumes drive the opposite sex crazy!

                      7. Sex is the safest tranquilizer in the world. IT IS 10 TIMES MORE
                      EFFECTIVE THAN VALIUM.

                      8. Kissing each day will keep the dentist away. Kissing encourages
                      saliva to wash food from the teeth and lowers the level of the acid
                      that causes decay, preventing plaque build-up.

                      9. Sex actually relieves headaches. A lovemaking session can release
                      the tension that restricts blood vessels in the brain.

                      10. A lot of lovemaking can unblock a stuffy nose. Sex is a natural
                      antihistamine. It can help combat asthma and hay fever.

                    • elliott.bignell@t-online.de
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                        Thanks, Peggy. Next time I chop an appendage off on a rock on the top of a hill at 2am in the pitch black I'll definitely have a masseuse at hand.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                          Hi, Judith,

                          Thanks for the encouragement.

                          // Did you know that you can tell from the skin whether a person is
                          // sexually active or not.

                          Nah, I used to cover the claw marks up with a shirt.

                          //1. Sex is a beauty treatment.

                          What, I'm supposed to wear a bag over my head now?

                          //2. Gentle, relaxed lovemaking reduces your chances of suffering
                          //dermatitis, skin rashes and blemishes. The sweat produced cleanses
                          //the pores and makes your skin glow.

                          What about the frantic kind that pulls the chandelier out of the ceiling and shoves the bed through the wall?

                          //3. Lovemaking can burn up those calories you piled on during
                          //that romantic dinner.

                          Zero-sum game.

                          //4. Sex is one of the safest sports you can take up.

                          Depends how high up the chandeliers are.

                          //It's more enjoyable than swimming 20 laps, and you don't need
                          //special sneakers!

                          No wonder I could never make more than 15 laps.

                          //5. Sex is an instant cure for mild depression.

                          Speaking as someone who has suffered from severe depression, I think you may be onto something...

                          //It releases the chemical endorphin into the bloodstream, producing a sense
                          //of euphoria and leaving you with a feeling of well-being.

                          There is no sleep so sound as that of the just-after.

                          //6. The more sex you have, the more you will be offered.

                          That's right - kick a man when he's down!

                          //8. Kissing each day will keep the dentist away. Kissing encourages
                          //saliva to wash food from the teeth and lowers the level of the acid
                          //that causes decay, preventing plaque build-up.

                          Er ... whose saliva, and whose teeth, exactly? TOOTHBRUSH, TOOTHBRUSH!!!

                          //9. Sex actually relieves headaches. A lovemaking session can release
                          //the tension that restricts blood vessels in the brain.

                          Isn't this a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem for the amorous husband, though?

                          //10. A lot of lovemaking can unblock a stuffy nose. Sex is a natural
                          //antihistamine. It can help combat asthma and hay fever.

                          Not to be excessively detailed, but this is actually true.

                          Cheers...
                          Elliott the Decreasingly Sighted

                        • Lomax803
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                            Elliott,
                            That's right Elliott. You need to have a massuese
                            with you at all times. Think of all the orgone you
                            are wasting!!!

                            Peggy

                            > Wrom: QWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVT
                            > Date: 2002/10/03 Thu PM 01:58:41 EDT
                            > To: <wwbc@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: Re: [wwbc] Aaargh!

                            Lomax803

                          • elliott.bignell@t-online.de
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                              Leave my orgone out of this...

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                                Elliott,
                                How can I leave your orgone out of this if
                                you don't have any? Maybe Oleg can find some
                                for you in Russia.

                                Lomax803

                                > Wrom: GAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNN
                                > Date: 2002/10/03 Thu PM 02:30:09 EDT
                                > To: <wwbc@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: Re: [wwbc] Aaargh!

                                Lomax803

                              • Judith Randolph
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                                  Elliot,
                                  Oh heck lets face it you can't just spend all your time learning and
                                  memorizing, don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs...what else is
                                  there...Hey I am finding that just bantering about sex can has a beneficial
                                  affect...been on match.com since July and have so much fun...jrpetite50...if
                                  you care to take a gander...and sometimes I even learn something new once in
                                  awhile...
                                  JR

                                • elliott.bignell@t-online.de
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                    No, no - it's always on the right. I can only afford to replace the
                                    prosthetic arm so many times a week, and anyway, my teeth are getting worn
                                    down.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                      How did it go?

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                        Well I used every relaxation technique I could think off, but the filling
                                        was to high, 24 hours later with a migraine from my bite being off, they
                                        fixed it. Ok now...wasn't able to use the pleasure to extinguish pain
                                        thing.

                                        Till the next time...
                                        JR

                                        > I intend to employ a few techniques myself tomorrow, as I visit the
                                        cursed
                                        > dentist...my pain nightmare!

                                        > To unsubscribe via email: From your email program, send a blank message
                                        to:

                                      • Lomax803
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 4, 2002
                                          Umut,

                                          >Yes, Yes, all true, but I am sure you all are aware of
                                          STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). I think a very
                                          nice relaxing activity might turn into a
                                          disaster.(syphilis, AIDS etc.) Please let me also
                                          mention that safe sex does not bring 100% protection…
                                          So, you go on your own rix. Is this really relaxing?

                                          Yes, yes is correct. Don't forget herpes and human paponoma
                                          virus(genitle warts) YUCK! With HPV, a certain strain can
                                          give you cancer within one to ten years after contact.
                                          Just the thought of contracting one of these viruses
                                          makes me say no to all men-except Oleg.<sigh>

                                          Lomax803

                                          > Wrom: UTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGD
                                          > Date: 2002/10/04 Fri AM 10:24:51 EDT
                                          > To: wwbc@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Subject: [wwbc] Re: Aaargh!
                                          >
                                          > Hi all,
                                          >
                                          > Elliott is still keeping us busy with his sense of
                                          > humor. I do agree that sex can be (actually is) very
                                          > relaxing, however there are a couple of things that I
                                          > have to disagree.
                                          >
                                          > Judith wrote:
                                          >
                                          > 1. Sex is a beauty treatment. Scientific tests find
                                          > that when woman
                                          > make love they produce amounts of the hormone
                                          > estrogen, which make
                                          > hair shiny and skin smooth.
                                          >
                                          > 4. Sex is one of the safest sports you can take up. It
                                          > stretches and
                                          > tones up just about every muscle in the body. It's
                                          > more enjoyable than
                                          > swimming 20 laps, and you don't need special sneakers!
                                          >
                                          > Yes, Yes, all true, but I am sure you all are aware of
                                          > STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). I think a very
                                          > nice relaxing activity might turn into a
                                          > disaster.(syphilis, AIDS etc.) Please let me also
                                          > mention that safe sex does not bring 100% protection…
                                          > So, you go on your own rix. Is this really relaxing?
                                          >
                                          > I guess the first issue needs a slight correction as
                                          > well! Yes sex is a beauty treatment, however there are
                                          > some incurable cases (goes for both sexes and I do not
                                          > mean only physical appearence). I am almost sure that
                                          > some people, in this group as well, woke up, at least
                                          > once in their life, realizing what a mistake they have
                                          > made, after glancing on their left side(sometimes
                                          > right)…
                                          >
                                          > So, one can add or argue more about this issue. It
                                          > would be unjust to say, at least in my opinion, that
                                          > sex is not relaxing and helpful. Nonetheless, like any
                                          > other thing it is not a magical wand, and not only it
                                          > does not solve every problem, but also it might create
                                          > some problems as well.
                                          >
                                          > Regards, Umut.

                                        • Judith Randolph
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 5, 2002
                                            Ok, Ok, Ok,
                                            Just when I decided to try out the waters again, a come back from 3 years of
                                            celibacy, studying, memorizing, and learning, you all have to muck up the
                                            water with large doses of reality...Oh well back to the books, maybe I'll
                                            try a PhD in something?? That ought totally delete my libido...
                                            So Sad...What do you think Elliott?
                                            JR

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 5, 2002
                                              Hi, JR,

                                              I mainly don't think - I just tend to react. My reaction is, firstly, surprise that I'm not the only one to suffer multiyear periods of celibacy and, secondly, horror that you should even suggest reinforcing the habit. Don't even consider it - go out right now and jump on the first cantilever you see. Make sure it's a catenary by the time you're finished with it. STD's may be a public health issue, but in the West depression is a bigger one, and sex is the best antidepressant you'll never be prescribed. (My ex up in Osnabrueck proves this rule almost to destruction, but that's life...) Despite my habitual defensive resort to humour, everything you wrote on the subject conforms to my convictions - sex keeps you happy, healthy, sane and good-looking. (Hence my tendency to go "Aaargh!" and bite the ankles of my detractors with my remaining teeth.) Celibacy sucks - but only on its thumb.

                                              See "Head First" by TB on this subject. Sexual Intelligence is a valid part of the mental armoury and an important part of a healthy attitude to life. Go for it.

                                              Cheers...
                                              Elliott