variation on the Journey method

  • johncoghlan69
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2002
      Fellow Members,

      I have just thought of an elegant variation of the Journey method.
      Perhaps it has been written about already - as I doubt I'm the first
      to think about this.

      Instead of imagining a road or whatever one is walking on, with
      various sites along the road, one can do this: think of, say, ten
      important cities you've visited or want to visit. Then in each city,
      envision a rough map. Go clockwise from the West to the East then back
      to the West. Visit, say, ten landmarks. Ten cities with ten pegs could
      form the basis of an interesting system, especially if used with other
      methods.

      For example, one could think of Paris. One could start with the Eiffel
      Tower, go to the Place de la Concorde, go to the Louvre, then on to
      the Champs Elysees or the Arc de Triomphe. After that, there could be
      Place Pigalle and so on.

      As well, I'd like to know how people combine techniques to expand the
      Majors or Journey system using a secondary or tertiary system. For
      example, there is the SM3 system. I see each system as intermeshing
      gears. For example, one could use the Dominic system for 1-100, the
      Majors system for another list of 1-100, and the Journey system for a
      third. Then meshing the three together, one could conceivably build a
      system with 10,000 pegs. Have others tried such a thing? Is it
      worthwhile? What is the best way of doing this?

      All the best,

      John (Ottawa, Canada)
    • George Wade
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2002
        My journey would be by canoe or barge through some canals and along
        rivers through Europe. It might be necessary for me to undertake
        the trip to be able to use it, or to get photos and slap them on a
        map the size of our living room wall.

        A journey by car or bus would be negative and by plane would be
        "zero" - no emotion.

        Even better would be a long sailing cruise. I just can't get
        imagination going this year; it must be time to go on a real
        cruise: strictly for the work of recording the jouney, of course. A
        journey of 10,000 stopping points. Hmmm.

        I did my first new foreign language lesson on Saturday. It is
        satisfyingly difficult and will be a nice challenge.

        George

        On Sunday, September 8, 2002, at 05:27 , johncoghlan69 wrote:

        > Fellow Members,
        >
        > I have just thought of an elegant variation of the Journey method.
        > Perhaps it has been written about already - as I doubt I'm the first
        > to think about this.
        >
        > Instead of imagining a road or whatever one is walking on, with
        > various sites along the road, one can do this: think of, say, ten
        > important cities you've visited or want to visit. Then in each city,
        > envision a rough map. Go clockwise from the West to the East then back
        > to the West. Visit, say, ten landmarks. Ten cities with ten pegs could
        > form the basis of an interesting system, especially if used with other
        > methods.
        >
        > For example, one could think of Paris. One could start with the Eiffel
        > Tower, go to the Place de la Concorde, go to the Louvre, then on to
        > the Champs Elysees or the Arc de Triomphe. After that, there could be
        > Place Pigalle and so on.
        >
        > As well, I'd like to know how people combine techniques to expand the
        > Majors or Journey system using a secondary or tertiary system. For
        > example, there is the SM3 system. I see each system as intermeshing
        > gears. For example, one could use the Dominic system for 1-100, the
        > Majors system for another list of 1-100, and the Journey system for a
        > third. Then meshing the three together, one could conceivably build a
        > system with 10,000 pegs. Have others tried such a thing? Is it
        > worthwhile? What is the best way of doing this?
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > John (Ottawa, Canada)

      • jcwmbes
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2002
          Hi John
          Great ideas.
          I have used the major system (1-100) in seperate towns, and it is
          really easy to keep the hundreds seperate (easier than SEM3).
          Obviously context is important, and the towns I used were ones I know
          well. This would probably still not be so good for speed memory, as
          there will be a greater risk of interference than the good old
          journey system.
          There must be many ways of making routes or pegs more scalable, so
          that once you have learned one, it can be used in different contexts
          without having to spend too much time preparing.
          I like your clockwise major city idea. At least by learning the
          system, one can have a mental tour of 100 well organised and
          interesting places.
          Regards
          JohnC