Pakistan refuses to hand over terror suspects to India

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2008
      Pakistan refuses to hand over terror suspects to India:
      Dec 3, 2008
      http://tinyurl.com/5b4qxp

      Islamabad - Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari refused to extradite
      20 suspects identified in India's list of wanted criminals, saying
      they would be tried in Pakistan if New Delhi provided hard evidence,
      media reports said Wednesday.

      'I am definitely going to look into all the possibility of any proof
      that is given to us. At the moment, these are just names of
      individuals. No proof, no investigation, nothing has been brought
      forward,' Zardari said on CNN's Larry King Live program Tuesday
      night.

      If proof of criminal activity is provided, 'we would try them in our
      courts, we would try them in our land, and we would sentence them,'
      he added.

      Indian authorities on Monday gave a list of 20 suspected fugitives to
      Pakistani envoy in India demanding their repatriation. The list
      included Masood Azhar, a leader of the Islamic militant Jaish-e-
      Mohammed group, and Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Mohammed Saeed.

      It also included Mumbai crime lord Dawood Ibrahim, the alleged
      mastermind of the 1993 Mumbai bombings, and the Sikh leaders Wadhwan
      Singh, Ranjit Singh and Gajinder Singh, who are wanted in connection
      with an insurgency in Indian state of Punjab in the 1980s.

      India's demand came as tensions ran high between the two South Asian
      nuclear-armed neighbours following Mumbai terrorist attacks that
      killed more than 180 people last week.

      India say the lone surviving attacker, identified as Ajmal Amir
      Kasab, told police interrogators he was a Pakistani national.

      But Zardari doubted the claims. 'We have not been given any tangible
      proof to say that he is definitely a Pakistani. I very much doubt
      it,' the president told CNN.

      A report in Pakistan daily The Nation said there was nothing new in
      India's list of wanted men, saying it was the same list that New
      Delhi has been submitting to Pakistan after every terrorist attack on
      its soil during several years.

      'Since it contains nothing new there would be no response at all from
      Pakistan,' an official told the newspaper.