Who's the real Hindu?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2008
      Who's the real Hindu?
      Karan Thapar,
      Hindustan Times
      http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=de847806-8ec0-\
      4ed2-aff5-e9317f5539d3
      <http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=de847806-8ec0\
      -4ed2-aff5-e9317f5539d3>

      Does the VHP have the right to speak for you or I? Do they reflect our
      views? Do we endorse their behaviour? They call themselves the Vishwa
      Hindu Parishad, but who says they represent all of us? This Sunday
      morning, I want to draw a clear line of distinction between them and
      everyone else. My hunch is many of you will agree.

      Let me start with the question of conversion — an issue that greatly
      exercises the VHP. I imagine there are hundreds of millions of Hindus
      who are peaceful, tolerant, devoted to their faith, but above all, happy
      to live alongside Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains and Jews.
      If any one of us were to change our faith how does it affect the next
      man or woman? And even if that happens with inducements, it can only
      prove that the forsaken faith had a tenuous and shallow hold. So why do
      the VHP and its unruly storm troopers, the Bajrang Dal, froth at the
      mouth if you, I or our neighbours convert? What is it to do with them?

      Let me put it bluntly, even crudely. If I want to sell my soul — and
      trade in my present gods for a new lot — why shouldn't I? Even if
      the act diminishes me in your eyes, it's my right to do so. So if
      thousands or even millions of Dalits, who have been despised and
      ostracised for generations, choose to become Christian, Buddhist or
      Muslim, either to escape the discrimination of their Hindu faith or
      because some other has lured them with food and cash, it's their right.

      Arguably you may believe you should ask them to reconsider, although I
      would call that interference, but you certainly have no duty or right to
      stop them. In fact, I doubt if you are morally correct in even seeking
      to place obstacles in their way. The so-called Freedom of Religion Acts,
      which aim to do just that, are, in fact, tantamount to obstruction of
      conversion laws and therefore, at the very least, questionable.

      However, what's even worse is how the VHP responds to this matter.
      Periodically they resort to violence including outright murder. What
      happened to Graham Staines in Orissa was not unique. Last week it
      happened again. Apart from the utter and contemptible criminality of
      such behaviour, is this how we Hindus wish to behave? Is this how we
      want our faith defended? Is this how we want to be seen? I have no doubt
      the answer is no. An unequivocal, unchanging and ever-lasting NO!

      The only problem is it can't be heard. And it needs to be. I therefore
      believe the time has come for the silent majority of Hindus — both
      those who ardently practice their faith as well as those who were born
      into it but may not be overtly religious or devout — to speak out.
      We cannot accept the desecration of churches, the burning to death of
      innocent caretakers of orphanages, the storming of Christian and Muslim
      hamlets even if these acts are allegedly done in defence of our faith.
      Indeed, they do not defend but shame Hinduism. That's my central point.

      I'm sorry but when I read that the VHP has ransacked and killed I'm not
      just embarrassed, I feel ashamed. Never of being hindu but of what some
      Hindus do in our shared faith's name.

      This is why its incumbent on Naveen Patnaik, Orissa's Chief Minister, to
      take tough, unremitting action against the VHP and its junior wing, the
      Bajrang Dal. This is a test not just of his governance, but of his
      character. And I know and accept this could affect his political
      survival. But when it's a struggle between your commitment to your
      principles and your political convenience is there room for choice? For
      ordinary politicians, possibly, but for the Naveen I know, very
      definitely not.

      So let me end by saying: I'm waiting, Naveen. In fact, I want to say I'm
      not alone. There are hundreds of millions of Hindus, like you and me,
      waiting silently — but increasingly impatiently. Please act for all
      of us.