Gaza Women Demand Border Opening

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4 3:05 PM
      Gazan women demand Rafah reopening
      Sun, 02 Nov 2008

      See the video :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtYXRF3_NU

      Palestinian women take part in a protest in front of the Rafah border
      crossing on Saturday. They called on Egypt to open the border with
      the impoverished Gaza Strip.

      Hundreds of Palestinian women have staged a protest march, calling on
      Egypt to reopen the Rafah border crossing to relieve Gaza suffering.

      Protestors took to the streets on Saturday following a call to action
      by the Hamas movement ; the women said the border crossing must be
      opened to relieve the suffering of the Palestinians in Gaza.

      "The Arabs are watching us in apathy. We say to them that we need
      their help and that the Rafah border crossing must be reopened. The
      Palestinian people are in dire need of their help," protest organizer
      Amal Ali told Press TV correspondent Ashraf Shannon.

      The demonstrators blamed Egypt and Arab League countries for failing
      to act against the 17-month-long Israeli embargo on the Gaza Strip.

      Israel has restricted the entry of vital goods, including food, fuel,
      medical supplies and construction materials to the coastal strip.

      The angry protestors also called Arabs to action, suggesting that
      their indifference may indicate their inability to respond to Israel.

      "It seems the international activists can break the embargo. Then why
      can't the Arabs do it? I say to Arab leaders, presidents, kings and
      emirs that they can break the embargo, if they want and that they
      don't need Israeli or American permission," said another protester.

      The nearly 1.5 million Palestinians residing in Gaza have been
      subject to an Israeli blockade since June 2007. Tel Aviv has
      restricted the entry of vital goods, including food, fuel, medical
      supplies and construction materials to the coastal strip.

      Israel has been condemned by peace activists worldwide over its human
      rights violation in the Gaza Strip.

      In August, two Greek boats -- carrying high-profile campaigners
      including Lauren Booth, sister-in-law of former British premier Tony
      Blair and Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein -- arrived in the Gaza and
      broke the Israeli blockade for the first time.

      A third boat, the SS Dignity, carried 27 activists from the Free Gaza
      Movement to the strip in defiance of the Israeli blockade on

      Tortured in West Bank Prisons, (by the PLO, not Israelis)
      By Ola Attallah – Ramallah
      Palestine Chronicle
      Oct 24, 2008

      Hamza Al-Qaraawi, a nursing student at An-Najah University, was
      sitting with his family when he heard knocks at their door.
      When he opened the door, a dozen of plain-clothed, grimed-faced
      people stormed their way into the house.

      "They beat me before taking me to an unknown destination," Qaraawi
      told IslamOnline.net.

      Qaraawi was taken to a Palestinian Authority-run prison, as he later
      discovered, where he reportedly suffered a new episode of assaults.
      "My body was bleeding from everywhere," he said, recalling his
      nightmarish experience.

      "They brought me a doctor, who asked them to stop hurting me but in
      vain," added Qaraawi, who was released nine days later.
      "They are using the same torture techniques used by Israeli
      occupation forces, such as Shabh and sleep deprivation."

      Shabh (Arabic for ghost) is a torture technique in which the prisoner
      is tied up for long periods so as to cause severe pain, especially in
      the hands and back.

      Hamas has accused security forces loyal to rival Fatah of carrying
      our a series of "political" arrests against its supporters in the
      West Bank since Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip last year.
      "My husband was badly tortured at Al-Janeed prison in Nablus," said
      the wife of Ismail Abdul-Kareem who was taken from his house by
      Palestinian security forces.

      "We kept asking about his whereabouts for weeks before we found out
      that he was held at Al-Janeed prison."

      Abdul-Kareem was released 40 days later.

      "He has since been admitted to hospital in a critical condition,"
      said his bewildered wife.

      Maltreatment of Hamas supporters has reportedly become a common
      practice in the West Bank.

      "Torture drives us crazy," a recently-released detainee told IOL,
      wishing not to be named.

      "They kept punching and kicking me. They never stopped though I was
      bleeding from my nose, mouth and head."

      Last February, Hamas supporter Sheikh Magd Al-Barghuthi died after
      being tortured at the Palestinian intelligence headquarters.

      Human rights campaigners say that there are nearly 270 "political
      detainees" in the West Bank prisons.

      "The arrests are being made on a daily basis," said Shawan Gabbarin,
      the head of Al-Haqq (Right) human rights group.

      Palestinian security officials deny having any "political" detainees
      in their jails, saying the issue was being "exaggerated".

      Last month, Palestinian human rights groups and MPs established a
      committee to monitor political detentions, but its work never got off
      the ground.

      Although the committee had the blessing of Palestinian President
      Mahmoud Abbas, the security services which he controls refused to

      "The committee held meetings with President Abbas, prime minister
      (Salam Fayyad) in Ramallah as well as Gaza-based interior minister
      Said Seyam and his security chiefs," said Khalil Abu-Shemalah, the
      head of Al-Dhamir (Conscience) human rights group.

      "While the Gaza government released a number of detainees, the West
      Bank-based government has been dragging its feet."

      (Originally published in IslamOnline.net)