McCain Should Explain About Liberty Killings

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2008
      McCain Should Explain About Liberty Killings
      By RAY HANANIA
      October 17, 2008
      Southwest News-Herald
      http://www.swnewsherald.com/news_inside/2008/10/101708cs_rh_liberty.ph

      If Barak Obama's association with 1960s radical William Ayers is a
      critical issue in this campaign, then Sen. John McCain's role in
      protecting the actions of his father in the deaths of 34 American
      sailors is an issue, too.

      While most Americans know all about the Ayers controversy, few know
      that McCain's father, Navy Admiral John McCain Jr., was involved in
      the cover-up of the Israeli assault on the U.S.S. Liberty on June 8,
      1967.

      On that day, Israeli fighter jets, torpedo boats and helicopter
      assault ships killed 34 sailors and wounded 174 others during the
      Arab-Israeli war.

      McCain and pro-Israel activists insist the attack was an "accident."
      But eyewitnesses on the ship, American veterans in uniform who went
      into the Mediterranean Sea as champions of Israel, insist Israel
      wanted to sink the ship to force the United States to join the war
      against Egypt, then a Soviet client.

      Phillip Tourney was a young officer on the Liberty working in the
      security and communications room. In an interview on Radio
      Chicagoland on WJJG last week, which is online at
      RadioChicagoland.com, Tourney described what really happened.

      "The Israeli Air Force had been flying around us for seven hours.
      They knew exactly who we were," Tourney said. "The Israeli planes
      left and a dozen unmarked planes returned and began firing on us."

      Tourney said the planes put more than 800 holes in the ship, dropped
      napalm and strafed the ship with gunfire, killing 10 sailors.

      "We were waving an American flag from the deck that was 7 by 13 feet
      in size. They knew we were American and they shot at the soldiers
      carrying the flag," Tourney said.

      The Liberty sent an SOS to Capt. Joseph Tully, the commander of the
      U.S.S. Saratoga, which was a part of the 6th Fleet. Tully's order to
      help was reversed by 6th Fleet Rear Admiral Lawrence Geiss. Geiss
      received his orders not to protect the Liberty directly from Admiral
      McCain.

      Five clearly marked Israeli torpedo boats returned and one of the
      torpedoes hit the ship and immediately killed 24 young men.

      That means 24 American soldiers died after McCain intervened and
      prevented the 6th Fleet from responding to help the besieged American
      soldiers.

      As the attack intensified, the Israelis sent several assault
      helicopters filled with assault soldiers to finish the job.

      "They planned to come on board and kill every one of our men. They
      wanted to wipe us out," Tourney said. "If they would have sunk our
      ship and killed all our men, everyone would have thought the ship had
      been sunk by the Egyptians and the United States would have attacked
      Egypt. I believe the Israelis wanted to drag the United States into
      the war."

      The Israeli strike force only withdrew when it became clear that
      Israel had been identified as the attacking force, not Egypt.

      Several books by Liberty survivors were written documenting these
      events. But Admiral McCain's son, Senator John McCain, decided a few
      years ago to endorse a book written by a pro-Israeli activist who
      insisted the attack was a "mistake."

      If Obama must answer to his friendship with Ayers, doesn't McCain
      have an obligation to explain his father's role in the deaths of 34
      American soldiers?

      Doesn't Senator McCain have an obligation to explain his subsequent
      actions to protect his father's name, rather than stand up for the
      dignity of our soldiers?

      We need a real, open investigation. The survivors and the families of
      those who died deserve it.

      (Ray Hanania can be reached at rayhanania @ comcast.net.

      ===

      Nader Presses McCain on Liberty Attack:
      October 31, 2008
      Knight Ridder
      http://www.military.com/news/article/nader-presses-mccain-on-liberty-
      attack.html?col=1186032310810

      Adding to his usual criticisms of the "corporate candidates" from the
      two major parties, independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader
      yesterday introduced a wrinkle, calling on John McCain to come clean
      about Israel's 1967 attack on the USS Liberty.

      "He doesn't like to have his character impugned. I'm challenging his
      character on this point," Nader said in a news conference at the
      Statehouse.

      McCain was not involved in the incident, which killed 34 American
      sailors amid the Six-Day War between Israel and several Arab nations.
      Israel said the attack was a case of mistaken identity, and McCain's
      father, Adm. John S. McCain Jr., approved an investigation that
      determined the incident was a mistake.

      Nader is among those who think the report was a cover-up. He's
      dragging McCain into it because the senator wrote a positive note on
      a 2002 book, The Liberty Incident, that also concluded the attack was
      an accident.

      "He has been asked again and again by these Sailors and their
      families to come clean," Nader said. "Instead, he endorses a
      propaganda book that says it was accidental. That reflects on his
      character."

      The McCain campaign declined to respond