Pat Buchanan: Who started WWII?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      Who Started Cold War II?
      by Patrick J. Buchanan http://buchanan.org/blog/2008/08/pjb-who-
      started-cold-war-ii/

      The American people should be eternally grateful to Old Europe for
      having spiked the Bush-McCain plan to bring Georgia into NATO. Had
      Georgia been in NATO when Mikheil Saakashvili invaded South Ossetia,
      we would be eyeball to eyeball with Russia, facing war in the
      Caucasus, where Moscow's superiority is as great as U.S. superiority
      in the Caribbean during the Cuban missile crisis. If the Russia-
      Georgia war proves nothing else, it is the insanity of giving erratic
      hotheads in volatile nations the power to drag the United States into
      war.

      From Harry Truman to Ronald Reagan, as Defense Secretary Robert Gates
      said, U.S. presidents have sought to avoid shooting wars with Russia,
      even when the Bear was at its most beastly. Truman refused to use
      force to break Stalin's Berlin blockade. Ike refused to intervene
      when the Butcher of Budapest drowned the Hungarian Revolution in
      blood. LBJ sat impotent as Leonid Brezhnev's tanks crushed the Prague
      Spring. Jimmy Carter's response to Brezhnev's invasion of Afghanistan
      was to boycott the Moscow Olympics. When Brezhnev ordered his Warsaw
      satraps to crush Solidarity and shot down a South Korean airliner
      killing scores of U.S. citizens, including a congressman, Reagan did —
      nothing.

      These presidents were not cowards. They simply would not go to war
      when no vital U.S. interest was at risk to justify a war. Yet, had
      George W. Bush prevailed and were Georgia in NATO, U.S. Marines could
      be fighting Russian troops over whose flag should fly over a province
      of 70,000 South Ossetians who prefer Russians to Georgians.

      The arrogant folly of the architects of U.S. post-Cold War policy is
      today on display. By bringing three ex-Soviet republics into NATO, we
      have moved the U.S. red line for war from the Elbe almost to within
      artillery range of the old Leningrad. Should America admit Ukraine
      into NATO, Yalta, vacation resort of the czars, will be a NATO port
      and Sevastopol, traditional home of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, will
      become a naval base for the U.S. Sixth Fleet. This is altogether a
      bridge too far. And can we not understand how a Russian patriot like
      Vladimir Putin would be incensed by this U.S. encirclement after
      Russia shed its empire and sought our friendship?

      How would Andy Jackson have reacted to such crowding by the British
      Empire? As of 1991, the oil of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and
      Azerbaijan belonged to Moscow. Can we not understand why Putin would
      smolder as avaricious Yankees built pipelines to siphon the oil and
      gas of the Caspian Basin through breakaway Georgia to the West?

      For a dozen years, Putin & Co. watched as U.S. agents helped to dump
      over regimes in Ukraine and Georgia that were friendly to Moscow. If
      Cold War II is coming, who started it, if not us? The swift and
      decisive action of Putin's army in running the Georgian forces out of
      South Ossetia in 24 hours after Saakashvili began his barrage and
      invasion suggests Putin knew exactly what Saakashvili was up to and
      dropped the hammer on him.

      What did we know? Did we know Georgia was about to walk into Putin's
      trap? Did we not see the Russians lying in wait north of the border?
      Did we give Saakashvili a green light? Joe Biden ought to be
      conducting public hearings on who caused this U.S. humiliation. The
      war in Georgia has exposed the dangerous overextension of U.S. power.

      There is no way America can fight a war with Russia in the Caucasus
      with our army tied down in Afghanistan and Iraq. Nor should we.

      Hence, it is demented to be offering, as John McCain and Barack Obama
      are, NATO membership to Tbilisi. The United States must decide
      whether it wants a partner in a flawed Russia or a second Cold War.
      For if we want another Cold War, we are, by cutting Russia out of the
      oil of the Caspian and pushing NATO into her face, going about it
      exactly the right way.

      Vladimir Putin is no Stalin. He is a nationalist determined, as ruler
      of a proud and powerful country, to assert his nation's primacy in
      its own sphere, just as U.S. presidents from James Monroe to Bush
      have done on our side of the Atlantic. A resurgent Russia is no
      threat to any vital interests of the United States. It is a threat to
      an American Empire that presumes some God-given right to plant U.S.
      military power in the backyard or on the front porch of Mother
      Russia.

      Who rules Abkhazia and South Ossetia is none of our business. And
      after this madcap adventure of Saakashvili, why not let the people of
      these provinces decide their own future in plebiscites conducted by
      the United Nations or the Organization for Security and Cooperation
      in Europe? As for Saakashvili, he's probably toast in Tbilisi after
      this stunt.

      Let the neocons find him an endowed chair at the American Enterprise
      Institute.