“Farewell Israel”: Myth and Reality

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2008
      "Farewell Israel": Myth and Reality
      By Alan Hart

      With his political documentary FAREWELL ISRAEL, Bush, Iran and The
      Revolt of Islam, American director Joel Gilbert has launched what
      could be described as Zionism's propaganda weapon of last resort.

      The film is described by its promoters as "An historic journey, from
      the birth of Islam, through its 1,200 year reign over the civilised
      world, to the last 300 years of Islamic decline, overtaken and
      dominated by the West - then humiliated by a Jewish state… In this
      groundbreaking film, the total rejection of Israel by Muslim states
      since its inception in 1948 comes to light as a religious duty for
      Believers." (My emphasis added).

      According to the same promotional script: "The Iranian agenda for
      acquiring strategic weapons to eliminate Israel comes clearly into
      focus. Today, at the direction of Iran, Islamists are preparing for
      a fateful war for Islam - and Israel is the number one target and
      obstacle in the path of Islamic revival for Muslims."

      For the sake of discussion, let's suppose that sometime in the
      foreseable future Iran does have nuclear weapons. Would it then go
      for a nuclear first strike against Israel? The answer, I assert, is
      no. Never! So what really is all the Zionist and American neo-con
      fuss about?

      Perhaps without realising that he has let a great, big cat out of
      the bag, Joel Gilbert has provided the answer. He says (my empasis
      added): "Even without attacking Israel, the mere capabilty of
      Iranian missiles to lay waste to Tel Aviv would create a `strategic
      umbrella,' preventing Israel from using its superior strategic
      assets in a conventional war. With Israeli missiles neutralised,
      Muslim countries could overwhelm Israel with their superior numbers,
      conventional armor and short range missiles."

      And that's the real point. Israel's military leaders and their
      political yes-men don't believe, and never have believed, that Iran,
      if it possessed nuclear weapons, would unleash them in a first
      strike against the Zionist state. The real problem for its leaders
      is that the moment Israel ceased to be the only nuclear-armed power
      in the region, would be the moment it lost its ability to impose its
      will on the region. And actually the world.

      I don't doubt that Joel Gilbert is "one of the few Western scholars
      of historic Islamic-Jewish relations", but that has not prevented
      him from closing his mind to the reality of events and the truth of
      history. The statement that Muslim states have totally rejected
      Israel from its birth in 1948 is nothing but a manifestation of
      Zionist propaganda nonsense. As documented in THE IRON WALL, Israel
      and the Arab World by Professor Avi Shlaim, one of the two leading
      Israeli "revisionist" (which means honest) historians of our time,
      de-classified Israeli state papers and the diaries of departed
      leaders leave no room to doubt that it was Israel, not the Arab
      states, which never missed an opportunity to close the door to peace.

      And still today the impotent but pragmatic regimes of the Arab and
      wider Muslim world are prepared, with the consent of the
      overwhelming majority of their citizens, to make peace with an
      Israel inside its pre-1967 borders. It's true that Zionism is not
      interested in a genuine two-state solution because it's mission was
      and is to take for keeping the maximum amount of Arab land with the
      minimum number of Arabs on it; but that doesn't change the fact that
      most Arabs and other Muslims would, even now, accept an Israel
      withdrawn from all the territory it grabbed in the 1967 war.

      The main message of FAREWELL ISRAEL, Bush, Iran and the Revolt of
      Islam is addressed in particular to the present and the next
      occupant of the White House. It, the message, is something like
      this: "Don't push Israel to do things it doesn't want to do because
      it's facing the real danger of annihilation, and that being so, it's
      prepared to tell the world to go to hell if necessary." (If
      necessary means in the event of the major powers led by America
      requiring Israel to be serious about peace on terms virtually all
      Palestinians and most other Arabs and Muslims everywhere could
      accept).

      From reading between the lines of what Zionists and other supporters
      of Israel right or wrong have been saying and writing for the past
      year and more, it's clear that at least some of them do believe that
      the day is coming when an America administration will conclude that
      the Zionist state is more of a liability than an asset, and will be
      prepared to apply all necessary pressure in an effort to cause it to
      make peace on terms the overwhelming majority of Palestinians and
      other Arabs and most Muslims everywhere could accept.

      And that's the context in which I suggest that Joel Gilbert's
      documentary could be described as a Zionist propaganda weapon of
      last resort. Its purpose is to explain in advance why Israel might
      one day tell an American President to go to hell.

      On the subject of Joel Gilbert's vision of Israel one day being
      overwhelmed, I recall the words spoken to me many years ago by Golda
      Meir, Mother Israel, when she was prime minister. At a point during
      an interview I did with her for the BBC's Panorama programme, I
      interrupted her to say: "Prime Minister, I want to be sure I
      understand what you're saying… You are saying that if ever Israel
      was in danger of being defeated on the battlefield, it would be
      prepared to take the region and the whole world down with it?"

      As stated on the second page of Waiting for the Apocalypse, the
      Prologue to Volume One of my book Zionism: The Real Enemy of the
      Jews, Golda replied, without the shortest of pauses for reflection,
      and in the gravel voice that could charm or intimidate American
      Presidents according to need, "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying."

      Within an hour of that interview being transmitted at eight o'clock
      on a Monday evening, The Times (pre-Murdoch and not then a cheer
      leader for Zionism) had changed its lead editorial. Its new one
      quoted what Golda had said to me and then added its own opinion -
      "We had better believe her."

      I did and still do.

      Alan Hart, author of Zionism: The Real Enemy of the Jews