Defamation is not protected speech

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2008
      Memo to The Lobby's media tyrants: defamation is not protected speech
      by Greg Felton
      http://usa.mediamonitors.net/content/view/full/52800

      "The Maclean's article, and others like it, are examples of
      [Islamophobia]. By portraying Muslims as all sharing the same
      negative characteristics, including being a threat to `the West',
      this explicit expression of Islamophobia further perpetuates and
      promotes prejudice towards Muslims and others. An extreme
      illustration of this is a 'blog' discussion concerning the article
      that was brought to the attention of the Commission which, among
      many things, called for the mass killing, deportation or conversion
      of Muslim Canadians."

      -- Barbara Hall, Chief Commissioner of the Ontario Human Rights
      Commission

      The tyrant, by his nature, exists in a state of war with the society
      he governs. The interests of the state, the government and the
      tyrant are collapsed into a singularity, so a challenge to any act
      of government is deemed to be a threat to tyrant's authority, and
      hence the state.

      Because the tyrant's right to rule is illegitimate, it must be
      maintained by constant application of coercive force. There is no
      respect for the public good or the rule of law, for that would
      presuppose the existence of a higher, objective moral and legal
      authority.

      When it suits the tyrant's purposes, though, he can feign respect
      for the public good. To discredit political dissent he can recast a
      protest as a moral attack on everyone, e.g.: "Enemies among us hate
      our freedoms!" "No group has the right to tell you what to
      do!" "Don't listen to conspiracy theories!" "Report suspicious
      people to the authorities!"

      By playing the victim and pandering to public insecurity, legitimate
      dissent is made to look criminal and the political issue that
      motivated the protest becomes lost amid the cacophony of moralism
      and demagoguery.

      What holds true for tyrants in general holds true for our media
      tyrants in particular. Since our media is transparently Zionist and
      anti-Muslim, the qualities of truth, story, and Israeli self-
      interest have been collapsed into a journalistic singularity. Any
      challenge to the integrity or honesty of such a story is a fortiori
      an attack on Israel; thus, any attempt to hold our media accountable
      to ethical standards of reporting must be resolutely rubbished lest
      the challenge engender critical thinking and informed debate.

      Thus it came to pass that a human rights case brought against
      Maclean's magazine for hatemongering has been drowned out by howls
      of hypocritical indignation and character assassination. Rather than
      report on the question of bigotry in the offending article, and give
      dispassionate analyses of it, tyrants on the Internet and in other
      media are busy manufacturing sympathy for the writer in question and
      misrepresenting the challenge as an attack on free speech.

      Background
      On Oct. 10, 2006, Maclean's published an article entitled "The
      Future Belongs to Islam," written by Mark Steyn. In the article,
      excerpted from his book America Alone (note the appeal to
      victimhood) Steyn presents a dystopian future of the Western world
      overrun by Muslims:

      "On the Continent and elsewhere in the West, native populations are
      aging and fading and being supplanted remorselessly by a young
      Muslim demographic. Time for the obligatory `of courses': of course,
      not all Muslims are terrorists -- though enough are hot for jihad to
      provide an impressive support network of mosques from Vienna to
      Stockholm to Toronto to Seattle. Of course, not all Muslims support
      terrorists--though enough of them share their basic objectives (the
      wish to live under Islamic law in Europe and North America) to
      function wittingly or otherwise as the `good cop' end of an Islamic
      good cop/bad cop routine. But, at the very minimum, this fast-moving
      demographic transformation provides a huge comfort zone for the
      jihad to move around in."

      Steyn's basis for this conclusion is…well, he doesn't give one. It
      is enough for him to depict Muslims as an alien people--hostile,
      violent, intolerant and a threat to our (gasp!) Western way of life.
      What weapon will these radicalized Islamic Europeans use to bring
      about the downfall of life as we know it? Sex--lots of sex. Having
      children, in Steyn's logic
      <http://www.gregfelton.com/media/2008_07_08_Steyn.gif>, is a hostile
      act of demographic conquest that will engender civil war.

      As a result of the article, the Canadian Islamic Congress helped
      launch a complaint with the Ontario Human Rights Commission against
      Maclean's for promoting group defamation and hate speech, contrary
      to Canadian law. In late June, the OHRC decided not to hear the
      case, because its code does not cover material printed in magazines.
      Nevertheless, in a rare public statement
      <http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/resources/news/en/resources/news/statement>
      statement, OHRC's chief commissioner Barbara Hall made some key
      observations that effectively supported the charge of hatemongering:

      "The Maclean's article, and others like it, are examples of
      [Islamophobia]. By portraying Muslims as all sharing the same
      negative characteristics, including being a threat to `the West',
      this explicit expression of Islamophobia further perpetuates and
      promotes prejudice towards Muslims and others. An extreme
      illustration of this is a 'blog' discussion concerning the article
      that was brought to the attention of the Commission which, among
      many things, called for the mass killing, deportation or conversion
      of Muslim Canadians."

      Given this finding, informal though it may be, the plaintiffs are
      expecting a positive outcome from the more jurisdictionally powerful
      B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.

      Media reaction and inaction
      Every journalism student learns that free speech must also be
      responsible speech. A person may not yell "fire" in a crowded
      theatre or violate laws against defamation. Hall's statement was a
      clear defence of this venerable precept, which Steyn violated in
      spades.

      As expected, Maclean's issued a statement praising the OHRC's
      decision to dismiss the case, but it did so in a way that betrayed
      its real motives. It added: "No human rights commission, whether at
      the federal or provincial level, has the mandate or the expertise to
      monitor, inquire into, or assess the editorial decisions of the
      nation's media…We enthusiastically support those parliamentarians
      who are calling for legislative review of the commissions with
      regard to speech issues."

      Translation: "We arrogate to ourselves the right to whatever we want
      and no oversight agency can tell us otherwise."

      This "Maclean's-as-victim" schtick has become the staple of media
      coverage, as did vitriolic attacks upon the Human Rights Commission.
      One might have sympathy for Maclean's and other media tyrants if
      they showed as much concern for the free expression rights of those
      with whom they disagree.

      Germany and France, for example, can prosecute anyone who merely
      dissents from official zionist dogmata about the Nazi holocaust.
      German-Canadian immigrant Ernst Zundel, who wrote a tract taking
      issue with the number of Jews killed during World War II, was
      kidnapped from the United States and illegally sent back to Germany
      to stand trial for heresy. Today, his name is a term of the worst
      opprobrium, yet all he did was express an opinion. The B'nai Brith,
      Canadian Jewish Congress and other zionist agents had no problem
      deciding to "monitor, inquire into, or assess the editorial
      decisions" of his work.

      The Lobby also went out of its way to vilify Professor Norman
      Finkelstein of DePaul University for exercising his intellectual
      freedom. I was even defamed twice in two separate CanWest organs by
      media tyrant Terry Glavin
      <http://www.gregfelton.com/media/2008_04_14.htm> because I chose to
      exercise my right to free expression at the Vancouver Library.
      Much of the emptiness of the zionist free-press argument consists in
      the fact that news critical of Israel or sympathetic to Muslims is
      systematically censored.

      We don't read, for example, how settler thugs tied up a Palestinian
      to a pole and beat him. Front pages aren't apoplectic over the
      Israeli security forces' beating and torture of journalist Mohammed
      Omer. The fact that Israel tortures 10-year old Palestinian
      children, and forces 70 percent of Gazans to live below the poverty
      line is similarly invisible to us, because the right to free speech
      is itself not free.

      When groups like the Canadian Islamic Congress
      <http://www.gregfelton.com/media/2008_07_08_Closing_Submission.pdf>
      take action against Maclean's or any other zionist medium, they do
      so, not to limit free speech, but to ensure that it is not used
      instrumentally by tyrants.

      The ghost of bigotry past

      The essence of Steyn's bigotry is that Muslims are a threat to
      Europe because of who they are, not what they do:

      "The larger forces at play in the developed world that have left
      Europe too enfeebled to resist its remorseless transformation into
      Eurabia and that call into question the future of much of the rest
      of the world… Some European countries will not be living formally
      under sharia, but—as much as parts of Nigeria—they will have reached
      an accommodation with their radicalized Islamic compatriots, who
      like many intolerant types are expert at exploiting the `tolerance'
      of pluralist societies."

      As you contemplate Steyn's fearmongering for the fate of European
      civilization, and disdain for tolerance, I submit this nearly 86-
      year-old apocalyptic warning for your consideration:

      "Internationalization today means only Judaization. We in Germany
      have come to this: that a 60-million people sees its destiny to lie
      at the will of a few dozen Jewish bankers. This was possible only
      because our civilization had first been Judaized. The undermining of
      the German conception of personality by catchwords had begun long
      before. Ideas such as `Democracy,' `Majority,' `Conscience of the
      World,' `World Solidarity,' `World Peace,' `Internationality of
      Art,' etc., disintegrate our race-consciousness, breed cowardice,
      and so today we are bound to say that the simple Turk is more man
      than we are. No salvation is possible until the bearer of disunion,
      the Jew, has been rendered powerless to harm."
      (Adolf Hitler, Munich, Sept. 11, 1922).

      Small wonder that Muslims have become the new Jews of Europe, but
      you won't find this point of view discussed in the media. The Lobby
      ensures that some types of expression are freer than others.

      My book The Host and the Parasite--How Israel's Fifth Column
      Consumed America is available exclusively from
      <http://www.gregfelton.com/> until I can find an honest publisher.