British Gitmo detainee wins documents
- British Gitmo detainee wins documents
Aug. 30, 2008
LONDON, Aug. 30 (UPI) -- British judges say Guantanamo Bay prisoner
Binyam Mohamed will receive U.S. documents that may support his
claim he was tortured into a false confession. Mohamed, an Ethiopian
of British resident, is accused of conspiring with al-Qaida to blow
up apartments in the United States. He is to be tried by a military
tribunal at Guantanamo Bay. His attorneys had asked the London High
Court to force British Foreign Secretary David Miliband to hand over
U.S. documents backing his claim to having been tortured, The Times
of London reported Saturday.
If his attorneys can show Mohamed's confession was obtained under
duress, it would be inadmissible under the tribunal's rules. Two
High Court justices said Friday that Mohamed, 30, had now achieved
everything that is "essential for a fair trial," the Times reported.
Citing unnamed sources, the British newspaper said the U.S. State
Department had agreed to give Mohamed's lawyers edited versions of
documents relating to his imprisonment at Guantanamo, with the names
of his interrogators blacked out.
Judges attack Home Secretary over Briton's claim of U.S. torture
By Daily Mail Reporter
31st August 2008
Held at Guantanamo Bay: Binyam MohamedJudges yesterday criticised
David Miliband for not treating seriously enough claims that a
Briton was tortured in Guantanamo Bay.
The comments come after a legal wrangle over whether the Government
will hand over secret documents relating to Binyam Mohamed, who is
facing a U.S. military trial for terrorism.
If convicted, he could face the death penalty. The legal team
representing the Ethiopian-born 30-year-old asked the High Court to
order the release of the material. They claim it provides evidence
he was kidnapped and subject to 'medieval' torture - including being
repeatedly slashed in the genitals with a razor blade.
But the Foreign Office said it would only allow Mohamed's lawyers to
see the papers if and when the U.S. puts him on trial.
Lord Justice Thomas and Mr Justice Lloyd Jones gave the Government a
further week to consider its position.
However, they highlighted 'insufficiencies' in Mr Miliband's reasons
for blocking the immediate disclosure of the documents.
They said the Foreign Secretary's argument that it was not in the
public interest to release the papers ignored the seriousness of the
claims that a Briton had been inhumanely treated.
They added that it 'failed to address the abhorrence and
condemnation accorded to torture'.
WORLD VIEW NEWS SERVICE To subscribe to this group, send an email
to:email@example.com NEWS ARCHIVE IS OPEN TO PUBLIC
VIEWhttp://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/wvns/ Need some good
karma? Appreciate the service?Please consider donating to WVNS
today.Email ummyakoub@... for instructions. To leave this
list, send an email to:firstname.lastname@example.org