Hamas remains firm on trade for Shalit

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2008
      Hamas remains firm on trade for Shalit
      http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=64244§ionid=351020202

      Hamas leader Ismail Haniya says Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit will
      not be released until Israel frees hundreds of Palestinian
      prisoners.

      Haniya said on Saturday that his movement demands that hundreds of
      Palestinians in Israeli jails be released in exchange for Shalit.

      "We as Palestinians and as a resistance movement in Hamas holding an
      Israeli prisoner in our hands, we definitely are committed to the
      release of our prisoners and those serving life sentences in Israeli
      jails," Haniya said.

      "We are committed to our demands, and there will be no concessions
      on the issues regarding the prisoners," he added.

      While Israel is trying to secure the release of Shalit, more that
      11,500 Palestinians including women and children are suffering under
      harsh conditions in Israeli detention facilities.

      Recently, Israel exchanged five Lebanese prisoners and the bodies of
      Lebanese and Palestinians fighters with the bodies of its two dead
      soldiers.