Savage Loses in Court Against CAIR

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      Savage Loses in Court - Help CAIR Fight BigotryĆ¾
      From: The Staff at CAIR (info@...)
      Fri 8/01/08

      Dear CAIR Supporter,

      Over the years, Muslim radio listeners nationwide have complained to
      CAIR about talk show host Michael Savage's vicious attacks on Islam.
      You asked us to take action, and we did. In retaliation, Savage sued
      CAIR, but last week his lawsuit was thrown out of court. Today, CAIR
      is asking you to help us continue our fight on your behalf. Hate
      speech should not be accepted in our society, and Savage should not
      succeed in silencing our voices.

      We hope you will join us in celebrating what many are calling a huge
      victory for freedom of speech.

      Last year during a nationally-syndicated radio broadcast, host
      Michael Savage screamed attacks on Muslims, Islam and the Quran.

      Savage's anti-Muslim rant included: "I don't wanna hear anymore
      about Islam. I don't wanna hear one more word about Islam. Take your
      religion and shove it up your behind. I'm sick of you."

      To listen to Savage's anti-Muslim rant, click here

      http://www.cair.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?
      mid1=763&&ArticleID=23609&&name=n&&currPage=2

      As you know, CAIR's response to these attacks, coupled with the
      efforts of other like-minded organizations, cost Savage advertisers
      like Sears, Sam's Club and GEICO Insurance. He told reporters that
      he lost more than $1 million in revenue.

      that our replaying of his bigoted remarks infringed on
      his "copyright." We simply believed people had a right to hear and
      judge his hate-filled words for themselves.

      THE GOOD NEWS: In a ruling issued on Friday, Federal Judge Susan
      Illston dismissed Savage's lawsuit against CAIR.

      In her ruling, Judge Illston wrote that the lawsuit Savage filed
      was "a dispute about...the protections of the First Amendment,
      protections upon which plaintiff (himself) relies for his livelihood
      and the airing of his radio program." Judge Illston also implied
      that the lawsuit may have been brought in an effort to "harass" CAIR.

      See: District Court Spanks Michael Savage

      http://www.citmedialaw.org/blog/2008/district-court-spanks-michael-
      savage-suit-using-audio-clip-criticism-fair-use

      We could not have won this case without the help we have received
      from supporters like you. Despite this legal victory, our work
      continues. Savage's attorney has been quoted in the media as saying
      they plan to file another complaint against us.

      Freedom is not free. Justice does not defend itself. Lawsuits are
      costly. This case, part of defending the truth about muslims and
      their faith , has channeled resources away from our normal civil
      rights and advocacy work. Michael Savage's malicious words are not
      only directed at Muslims. He has issued on-air insults against
      immigrants, African-Americans, women, and most recently autistic
      children, who he called "brats" and "morons."

      See: In Wake of Protests, Advertisers Don't Want to Support 'Savage
      Nation'

      http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/story?id=5457991&page=1

      CAIR needs to continue shining a public spotlight on people like
      Michael Savage who do not speak for the majority of Americans, and
      who only serve to divide America along religious, ethnic and racial
      lines.

      Ahmed Rehab told the San Francisco Chronicle that CAIR will continue
      to stand up to Savage's bigotry and will not be bogged down by his
      knack for retaliatory fluff lawsuits.

      Such lawsuits are often a strategy designed to deplete our much
      needed funds and weaken our ability to defend the truth and fight
      for justice. Savage has had his say. Now you can have yours. While
      he tries to destroy your community organizations through frivolous
      lawsuits, you can redouble your efforts to help build them through
      your immediate action today. This is your fight.

      Your financial support TODAY will help ensure that CAIR is able to
      provide work on your behalf for many years to come.

      To donate:

      https://secure.cair.com/site/Donation2?
      idb=993512394&df_id=1180&1180.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr010=c7ec2
      a3rw2.app6a

      Sincerely,

      The Staff at CAIR

      P.S. We attribute this legal triumph over hate both to the support
      of people like you and other groups who believed in our work. We
      were represented in court by the well-respected law firm of Davis
      Wright Tremaine and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. We
      coordinated media coverage of this issue with organizations such as
      Hate Hurts America and Brave New Films.

      Donations to CAIR are tax-deductible and zakat eligible

      CAIR is a not-for-profit organization recognized as tax-exempt under
      U.S. Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3).

      Council on American-Islamic Relations
      453 New Jersey Ave, S.E., Washington, D.C., 20003
      Council on American-Islamic Relations

      http://www.cair.com/AboutUs/VisionMissionCorePrinciples.aspx