Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Iran on high alert

Expand Messages
  • World View
    Four foreign boats seized on Iran waters Thu, 03 Jul 2008 http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=62384§ionid=351020101 The police commander of Iran s Bushehr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2008
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Four foreign boats seized on Iran waters
      Thu, 03 Jul 2008
      http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=62384§ionid=351020101


      The police commander of Iran's Bushehr province says four foreign
      fishing boats with 17 crew onboard were seized in Persian Gulf
      waters.

      "Bushehr sea-guard patrols stopped four foreign fishing boats on the
      strength of border violation and illegal fishing on Iranian waters,"
      Reza Mohmmadi-Yeganeh told reporters.

      The official pointed out that the boats were from Saudi Arabia and
      had 17 Indian nationals onboard.

      The documents of the boats were confiscated and the vessels are
      being held in Bushehr's naval police headquarters in Southern Iran,
      he added.

      ===

      Iran ready to strike at Israel's nuclear heart
      Uzi Mahnaimi in Tel Aviv
      June 29, 2008
      The London Times
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article423202
      1.ece?Submitted=true


      Iran has moved ballistic missiles into launch positions, with
      Israel's Dimona nuclear plant among the possible targets, defence
      sources said last week. The movement of Shahab-3B missiles, which
      have an estimated range of more than 1,250 miles, followed a large-
      scale exercise earlier this month in which the Israeli air force
      flew en masse over the Mediterranean in an apparent rehearsal for a
      threatened attack on Iran's nuclear installations. Israel believes
      Iran's nuclear programme is aimed at acquiring nuclear weapons. The
      sources said Iran was preparing to retaliate for any onslaught by
      firing missiles at Dimona, where Israel's own nuclear weapons are
      believed to be made.

      Major-General Mohammad Jafari, the commander of the Revolutionary
      Guard, told a Tehran daily: "This country [Israel] is completely
      within the range of the Islamic Republic's missiles. Our missile
      power and capability are such that the Zionist regime – despite all
      its abilities – cannot confront it."

      Related LinksSarkozy pledges to block nuclear Iran North Korea
      removed from US 'axis of evil' An editorial in a government
      newspaper, Jomhouri Eslami, said: "Our response will hit right at
      their temple."

      The sabre-rattling coincided with a visit to Israel yesterday by the
      chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Michael Mullen,
      for talks with his Israeli opposite number, Lieutenant-General Gabi
      Ashkenazi. This intensified speculation that Israel was seeking US
      approval for a possible attack on Iran.

      "Although the visit had been planned well in advance, we got the
      feeling he was coming to make sure we'll obey the strict timetable
      agreed with the US," said an Israeli defence source. He refused to
      elaborate.

      President George Bush has approved the linking of Israel to a US
      infrared satellite detection system that could spot Shahab missile
      launches within seconds.

      This should enable the Israeli air force to destroy such missiles in
      the booster stage. The system will also give the Israelis about 15
      minutes to seek shelter before any warhead hits.

      ===

      Letter tells 5+1 Iran ready to negotiate: MP
      Tehran Times Political Desk
      July 7, 2008
      http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=172542


      TEHRAN -- Iranian Foreign Minister Manuchehr Mottaki's letter to the
      foreign ministers of the 5+1 group and EU foreign policy chief
      Javier Solana was the expression of Iran's readiness to negotiate on
      the nuclear issue, said Alaeddin Borujerdi, the Majlis National
      Security and Foreign Policy Committee chairman, here on Sunday.

      Responding to a question on how Mottaki's letter was delivered to
      U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, he said, "Ordinarily, Iran-
      U.S. connections are through the Swiss Embassy."

      Saeed Jalili, Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC)
      secretary and chief nuclear negotiator, is set to meet Solana in the
      next two weeks for nuclear negotiations.

      Stressing that Jalili and Solana's talks will be "preliminary",
      Borujerdi went on to say "Since both parties have (presented)
      packages, the negotiations are balanced and there are many common
      points.

      "In contrast to the current propaganda campaign, the atmosphere is
      ready to enter into a serious debate with a positive approach."

      An EU spokeswoman said on Saturday Solana is willing to meet Iran's
      chief negotiator soon.

      She said EU foreign policy chief held first telephone consultations
      on Saturday on Iran's written response to a letter he delivered to
      Tehran last month on behalf of the United States, Britain, France,
      Germany, Russia, and China.

      "One of the things to decide is to meet Jalili, and if so when. In
      principle, the position is to respond favorably," Solana's
      spokeswoman, Cristina Gallach, told Reuters.

      She said Jalili had requested such a meeting in a telephone call
      with Solana on Friday in which he stressed "common ground".

      Gallach declined to give details of the content of the Iranian
      reply, saying the major powers were still studying the four-page
      letter from the Iranian foreign minister and holding consultations.

      The Islamic Republic insists its nuclear program is purely for
      civilian energy purposes and has said it will never give up what it
      regards as its legal right to enrichment.

      ===

      Enemies of Iran should know that they would face Iranians' iron fist
      in case of making any mistake against the country,' Revolutionary
      Guard's Deputy Commander Hejazi says


      Iran says will decide scope of retaliation if attacked
      Dudi Cohen
      06.30.08, 18:37
      Israel News
      http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3562273,00.html


      Mohammad Hejazi, deputy commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guard,
      said Monday his country will be the one to determine the gravity and
      scope of a military reaction if Iran is attacked.
      Revolutionary Guard

      Iran says will dig hundreds of thousands of graves of 'invaders' /
      Dudi Cohen

      Senior Revolutionary Guard commander quoted in Iranian media warning
      Tehran will begin digging 320,000 grave plots on country's borders
      for slain soldiers of enemy armies, should they attack Islamic
      Republic.

      "The era of hit-and-run is over. Possible beginners of any threat
      against Iran should notice that Iran reserves the right to determine
      the scale and scope of response to any threat," Hejazi was quoted by
      the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) as saying during a ceremony
      of the Revolutionary Guards in the city of Isfahan.

      The deputy commander added that Tehran would hold the White House
      and the US administration responsible for any threat against Iran.

      "Enemies of Iran should know that they would face Iranians' iron
      fist in case of making any mistake against the country," Hejazi
      said. "Iranians would destroy enemies' glass palace with their fire
      balls if they even think of playing with the fate of Iranian youth.

      "The US and its Zionist allay are mired in Afghanistan and Iraq,"
      said the deputy commander, adding that the US and Zionist regime's
      threats against Iran were a result of their "desperation".

      Iran's rhetoric regarding a possible Israeli attack has become
      increasingly fiery since the New York Times reported recently of an
      Israeli Air Force drill simulating an attack against the Islamic
      Republic. A senior Revolutionary Guards commander announced on
      Sunday that Iran would dig 'some 320,000' graves for the bodies of
      the slain enemy soldiers killed in a hypothetical military campaign
      against the Islamic Republic of Iran.

      Brigadier General Mir-Faisal Baqerzadeh, whose title was given by
      the Iranian FARS news agency as 'the Head of the Foundation for the
      Remembrance of the Holy Defense,' said that every border province
      would dig 15,000 to 20,000 graves.

      ===

      Iran to ready thousands of graves for enemy soldiers
      http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gvzKq9RB7EKl5o0yjM9QNPsqPPRw


      TEHRAN (AFP) — Iran is to dig 320,000 graves in border districts to
      allow for the burial of enemy soldiers in the event of any attack on
      its territory, a top commander said on Sunday.

      "In implementation of the Geneva Conventions... the necessary
      measures are being taken to provide for the burial of enemy
      soldiers," the Mehr news agency quoted General Mir-Faisal
      Bagherzadeh as saying.

      "We have plans to dig 15,000 to 20,000 graves in each of the border
      provinces or a total of 320,000," the general said, some of them
      mass graves if necessary.

      Bagherzadeh said Iran was keen to "reduce the suffering of the
      families of the fallen in any attack against our country... and
      prevent any repetition of the long and bitter experience of the
      Vietnam War."

      His comments came as the United States continued to refuse to rule
      out an eventual resort to force against Iran over its contested
      nuclear programme, which the West fears is cover for a drive to
      build an atomic weapon.

      They also came as Israeli officials spoke of their determination to
      prevent Iran developing a nuclear capability at all costs.
      A former head of Israel's Mossad foreign intelligence agency said in
      comments published on Sunday that the Jewish state had one year to
      destroy Iran's nuclear programme or face the risk of coming under
      nuclear attack.

      Shabtai Shavit told a London weekly that the "worst-case scenario"
      was that Tehran would have a nuclear weapon within "somewhere around
      a year".

      "The time that is left to be ready is getting shorter all the time,"
      he told the Sunday Telegraph.

      Israel is the only, if undeclared, nuclear armed power in the Middle
      East.


      *********************************************************************

      WORLD VIEW NEWS SERVICE

      To subscribe to this group, send an email to:
      wvns-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      NEWS ARCHIVE IS OPEN TO PUBLIC VIEW
      http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/wvns/

      Need some good karma? Appreciate the service?
      Please consider donating to WVNS today.
      Email ummyakoub@... for instructions.

      To leave this list, send an email to:
      wvns-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.