Imam Elahi: America's Moral Tragedy

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2008
      Salaam Alaikum,

      Considering the continuity of the presidential campaigns in the US,
      political developments in the Middle East, war in Iraq and
      Afghanistan, agreement in Lebanon, rhetoric about attacks on Iran
      and the situation in Gaza, Imam Elahi was given a limited space in
      the Detroit News to express his thoughts. Here is another wise,
      honest and enlightening Op-Ed by the Imam published in today's
      newspaper! PLEASE send your comments to letters @ detnews.com

      [Letters to the Editior supporting peace with Iran are important.]

      Bush's Middle East foreign policy creates moral tragedies
      Imam Mohammad Ali Elahi
      The Detroit News
      Tuesday, June 3, 2008

      The archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, recently called the
      United States "a hegemonic power that has lost the high moral
      ground." Our politicians have ruined not only our economy but also
      our image and integrity. President George W. Bush didn't practice
      what he preached of a "humble foreign policy" but applied instead
      the attitude of "might is right."

      Our country, once a beacon of hope and freedom for the world, has
      squandered our prosperity to create conflicts and instigate civil
      wars among other nations by funding one group against another. This
      is a moral tragedy.

      The successful presidential election in Lebanon indicates the
      failure of the Bush foreign policy. The people of the region are
      searching for reconciliation. The United States should get on the
      right side of the struggle and be part of the triumph of peace.
      The president said he gave up golfing "in solidarity" with the
      families of soldiers in Iraq. I hope the president resumes his
      golfing soon. A more constructive display of solidarity would be to
      stop these wars, fix the mess in Iraq and Afghanistan and don't
      start yet another war in the Persian Gulf.

      There is no evidence that Iran is building nuclear weapons. United
      Nations atomic watchdog chief, Mohamed El-Baradei, accused the Bush
      administration of adding "fuel to the fire" with bellicose rhetoric.
      The national intelligence estimate in November 2007 confirmed that
      Iran's nuclear program has no military aspect -- it is not pursuing
      nuclear weapons. Under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, Iran,
      just like any other country, has the right to produce peaceful
      nuclear technology.

      To negotiate with North Korea and Israel, which already have nuclear
      weapons, while continuing this psychological war against Iran is
      another symptom of political illness.

      On Jan. 20, when George W. Bush has to vacate the White House, he
      also will leave behind his Israeli-Palestinian legacy. The
      president's speech to the Israeli parliament last month
      disingenuously called Israel "a free and modern society based on
      love of liberty, a passion for justice, and a respect for human
      dignity."

      Impressed with his unusual support for Israel, some lawmakers
      suggested that Bush is a better friend to Israel than Israel's prime
      minister. Ehud Olmert should "learn from the president of the United
      States what Zionism is," Knesset member Zvi Hendel remarked.

      Honestly, the best friends of Israel are those who say it like it
      is. Former President Jimmy Carter called the Israeli policy toward
      Gaza "one of the greatest human rights crimes on earth."

      Political scientist Ilan Pappe said it's possible for the
      Palestinians and Jews to live together, but Israel needs to
      acknowledge the crimes it committed against the Palestinian people
      and accept the Palestinian refugees' right of return, as required by
      international law.

      Our nation deserves truthful and trustworthy leaders who have enough
      courage and commitment to turn the anti-American resentment around
      the world into respect and love. This country needs leaders who can
      practice what they preach and what America needs -- "liberty and
      justice for all."

      Imam Mohammad Ali Elahi heads the Islamic House of Wisdom in
      Dearborn Heights. E-mail letters to letters @ detnews.com.