Ilan Pappe: I'm not a traitor

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Controversial historian Ilan Pappe left Israel last year after his
      endorsement of an academic boycott of Israel exposed him and his
      family to death threats. Now a professor in England, Pappe maintains
      that a cultural boycott on his homeland is the only way to end the
      occupation

      Ilan Pappe: I'm not a traitor
      Ayelet Negev
      Israel News
      http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-3516193,00.html

      Last summer, the Pappe family packed its belongings, rented out
      [rented out??? -WVNS] its spacious house in Israel and moved to
      Britain. Ever since his support of an academic boycott on Israel's
      universities became public, historian Ilan Pappe, 54, has felt like
      public enemy number one. Pappe says he had received death threats by
      phone almost on a daily basis.

      Did it not occur to you that calling for an academic boycott on Israel
      might incite the public against you?

      "I supported the boycott because I believe that without pressure,
      Israel will not end the occupation. Even before then I reached the
      conclusion that the peace process enables Israel to stall for time.
      When in 2003 several international organizations approached me and
      asked whether I would support the boycott I replied positively.

      "I believe that things would change only if Israel receives a strong
      message that as long as the occupation continues it would not be a
      legitimate member of the international community, and that until then
      its academics, doctors and authors would not be welcome. A similar
      boycott was imposed on South Africa. It took 21 years, but it
      eventually led to the end of Apartheid."

      Do you also call for an economic boycott of Israel?

      "I am currently editing a book that compares the situation in Israel
      to the situation in South Africa, and I'm becoming convinced that
      there too, the economic boycott was less effective than the cultural
      one. As the son of German Jews, I know how important it is for our
      elites to be a part of Europe."

      Did you wholeheartedly support the boycott?

      "No, you can’t wholeheartedly recommend a boycott of your society,
      especially when it includes you place of work, the Haifa University…
      The last thing I enjoy is being the person that holds up a mirror to
      his society's face and says, 'Look how ugly you are.' Some people like
      to challenge and incite their neighbors. I'm not like that, I don't
      write in order to annoy and I certainly don't hate myself, and I also
      love many people in Israel. I did not commit treason.

      "But, I'm a historian, and this is the truth the way I see it: The
      story of a victim and a victimizer. And the victim is the
      Palestinians. Without idealizing the Palestinians -victims are not
      necessarily nice people, but they are still victims."

      Pappe claims that his promotion at Haifa University has been blocked
      due to his political activity. "Provincial Haifa was unwilling to
      grant me the rank of a professor. I left for England as a doctor and
      in two days I climbed two ranks and became a faculty professor at the
      University of Exeter," he states.

      However, Haifa University President Aharon Ben-Zeev claims that the
      university applied only relevant considerations in the question of
      Pappe's promotion. "We applied the regular criteria according to the
      university's constitution: Not only the list and quality of
      publications, but other considerations pertaining to the contribution
      to the university, teaching and so on," he explained.

      Claims of ethnic cleansing
      In an article published in the Israeli Mita'am Review for Literature
      and Radical Thought this week, titled "On the destruction of the
      Palestinian cities, spring 1948," Pappe maintains that the claim that
      the Arab residents fled or left their homes willingly during the war
      is false, and that a policy of "cleansing" the area from Arabs was
      employed as part of a plan to establish a Jewish-only state.

      Pappe made similar claims in his book The Ethnic Cleansing of
      Palestine, which was published in England in 2006, in which he also
      presented testimonies of alleged massacres of Palestinians by Jewish
      soldiers.

      These claims have been contested by many historians in Israel and
      abroad. Dr. Mordechai Bar-On, a research fellow at the Yad Ben-Zvi
      Institute and a former MK, calls Pappe "a propagandist, not a
      historian." Bar-On said that "the term ethnic cleansing is a vicious
      one, because it has never been used prior to the wars in former
      Yugoslavia. Indeed, there were places where Arab were expelled… but to
      say that there was an evil plan since the inception of Zionism for a
      forceful transfer â€" this is simply wrong and vicious."

      However, Pappe insists that allowing the Palestinian refugees to
      return to Israel is the only thing that could secure peace in the region.

      Would you be willing to vacate your home when they return to what used
      to be their villages near your house in Tivon?

      "After years of working with refugees around the world and attending
      conferences on the right of return, I believe that no such notion
      exists on the Palestinian side. They want to return while
      understanding that they will live alongside the Jews. They don't want
      to expel anyone. What turned me into a great lover of the Palestinians
      is the will of many among them to share the land with us. Even people
      in Hamas.

      "The reason most of my friends in the territories voted for Hamas
      wasn't because they didn't want to share the land with the Israelis,
      but because they thought Hamas would be more effective in the struggle
      against the occupation."

      By using terror?

      "They don't consider this to be terror. Fatah and Hamas employ the
      tools of the weak, because they don't have planes or tanks. They are
      as violent as the Israelis, no more or less, with only one difference:
      The difference between the violence of the occupier and the violence
      of those fighting occupation."

      An article you wrote titled "Genocide in Gaza, ethnic cleansing in the
      West Bank" was published in the Tehran Times about a month ago. Are
      you providing the enemy with weapons against us?

      "On the contrary, I wish to speak to the people in Iran. A Jordanian
      newspaper wrote in its editorial a year ago that absurdly, I am
      Israel's best ambassador in the Arab world, because they say â€" if such
      Israelis exist, maybe there's hope for peace with the Jewish state."

      Would you like your sons to serve in the army?

      "It's their decision, but I preferred it if they didn't. As long as
      Israel has an occupying army, a rather cruel army, I wouldn’t want
      them to be part of it… I don't think there is one moral person in the
      world that supports what Israel stands for. And it pains me to say
      this. I truly love the country, I would very much like to live in it,
      but I very much dislike my state. Everything related to its policy
      against the Palestinians makes me very angry."

      Pappe denies being more sensitive to the suffering of Palestinians
      than to that of Israelis. "I'm shocked when I see the child who lost
      his leg in Sderot, and I'm shocked when I see a child killed in Gaza.
      But as long as Israel maintains its stance that the Palestinian issue
      can be resolved by force, the Palestinian side will respond with force.

      "Once we realize that the only way is to relinquish some of out holy
      ideas, and once the Palestinians give up the idea of nationalism, and
      once they realize that there needs to be one state here that isn't
      Jewish nor Palestinian, but a state of all its citizens, like in the
      US, we will have peace."