Israeli Army raids Hebron Orphanage home to 110 girls

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 1:42 PM
      Israeli Army raids Hebron Orphanage home to 110 girls
      Pennie Quinton, IMEMC
      Wednesday April 30, 2008

      At 1.00 in the morning on the 30th of April, the Israeli Army raids
      orphanage in Hebron, home to 110 girls, seizing all equipment from
      community sewing workshop.

      The Hebron Orphanage for girls is run by the Charitable Islamic
      Society,(I.C.S) and houses 110 children.

      The ICS is accused by Israel of funding the Hamas movement under the
      table, and in recent years, the ICS has been raided several times by
      the Israeli Army who seized computers and paper work from their
      offices. Now the Israeli government wants to take property owned by
      the ICS and has issued a court order to this effect.

      Bassim the director of the Hebron orphanage for girls says that the
      Israeli officials came and inspected a sewing work shop in the
      basement, a project set up to give local women whose husbands are in
      gaol a means of earning a living.The official forbade any one from
      working in the room he photographed and made an inventory of all
      sewing machines and related equipment in the basement.He forbade
      Bassim from moving the workshop elsewhere threatening him with a
      prison sentence of five years were he to do so, he then said that the
      army would come and remove the equipment after the 26th of April 2008.

      The Christian Peace Maker teams were concerned about the effects of
      such a raid on the children so began to sleep over night in the
      orphanage. At one in the morning on the 30th of April the army drove
      three trucks into the playground of the orphanage, one equipped with a
      winch for hauling heavy equipment.They sawed up the metal table for
      cutting fabric with an angle grinder, and seized everything from the
      workshop including the stock of clothes sewn by the women.They swept
      the floor and left taking everything leaving the room utterly void.The
      Christian Peace Maker Teams tried to speak with the soldiers about
      their actions, but they refused to engage and completely ignored them.

      ===

      Gaza sewage pumped into the sea over past three months
      By Akiva Eldar, Haaretz Correspondent
      Haaretz, Israel
      May 02, 2008

      The report prepared by Office of the Coordinator for Humanitarian
      Affairs (OCHA) raises concerns that the untreated sewage is carrying
      Escherichia coli (e. coli) bacteria into the sea which may affect
      those swimming in its waters.

      E. coli bacteria can cause infection in the urinary tract and the
      digestive system.

      The authors of the report also wrote that in areas where the sewage is
      pumped into the sea, the color of the water is dark brown and a strong
      odor emanates.

      Fishermen in Gaza bay claim the sewage has killed much of the fish in
      the area.

      Officials in the Gaza Strip said there were also concerns that the
      pumping station in the Zeitun area would not be able to handle the
      sewage that had accumulated and the treatment pools would overflow.

      The treatment plant requires constant electrical supply, and the OCHA
      report calls on Israel to lift its restrictions on fuel supplies to
      the Gaza Strip.

      OCHA says that unless electricity can run continuously it is
      impossible to make regular use of the sanitation equipment in the Strip.

      The UN is also calling on Israel to allow the transfer of materials
      and spare parts that are necessary to upgrade the sewage system, and
      which would allow the construction of three modern sewage treatment
      stations in the Strip.

      ===

      Human Rights Groups Issue Statement
      Gaza Community Mental Health Programme
      http://www.gcmhp.net/

      Palestinian and Israeli human rights groups today issued an urgent
      call to cease restrictions on Gaza's fuel supply and stop the
      unprecedented harm to Gaza's humanitarian needs. The human rights
      groups warned:

      "We express concern and outrage at the systematic dismantling of
      the Gaza Strip's vital systems by preventing the residents of Gaza, a
      territory under Israel's occupation, from obtaining the fuel they need
      to generate electricity, power hospitals, run transportation, pump
      water and sewage, and provide for basic social and economic needs.

      We call upon Israel, the occupying power in Gaza, immediately to
      end the six-month long restrictions on fuel supply that have paralyzed
      Gaza's infrastructure and endangered the health and well-being of
      Gaza's 1.5 million residents.

      We call on armed groups in Gaza to refrain from attacking
      civilians, including at the crossings that channel fuel, food, and
      other goods into the Gaza Strip.

      We call on Israel to refrain from attacking civilians and
      depriving them of basic rights and needs. We emphasize Israel's
      obligation as the primary duty bearer under the law of occupation to
      ensure the humane treatment of the civilian population, including with
      respect to the provision of fuel to the Gaza Strip, ensuring the
      maintenance of hospitals, public health services and food and medical
      supplies and refraining from rendering useless objects indispensable
      to the survival of the civilian population.

      We assert that acts of reprisals and collective penalties against
      civilians are unjustified and could be considered war crimes that must
      be investigated and stopped.

      We call on all parties to respect their obligations under human
      rights and humanitarian law, especially the obligation to distinguish
      between civilians and combatants".

      Background: For the last six months, Israel has restricted the
      amount of fuel that Gaza residents may purchase, draining reserves and
      leaving essential systems vulnerable to supply interruptions. Israel
      does not permit Gaza residents to obtain fuel except via the fuel
      depot at Nahal Oz, on the Israel-Gaza border. The restrictions on fuel
      supply were upheld by Israel's Supreme Court in January 2008, in a
      decision condemned by human rights groups as authorizing collective
      punishment. However, since an attack on the Nahal Oz crossing on April
      9 that killed two civilians, Israel has restricted fuel supplies to
      levels far below even the minimum, insufficient levels promised to the
      Supreme Court. It has transferred no diesel or petrol supply and just
      1/3 of the industrial diesel needed for Gaza's power plant.

      On April 7, Gaza's petroleum company owners began striking,
      refusing to deliver the minimal quantities of petrol and diesel on the
      Palestinian side of Nahal Oz in protest of the restrictions that have
      crippled their ability to deliver fuel. The strike does not affect
      supply of industrial diesel, which is delivered directly to Gaza's
      power plant.

      Shortages in petrol for aid trucks prevented food delivery by
      UNRWA to 650,000 for five days, and reserves are low. Fuel shortages
      for Gaza's water company have disrupted water supply and forced the
      pumping of 10-20 million liters raw sewage in the sea daily.
      Hospitals, schools and universities have been disrupted by absenteeism.

      ===

      An evil state that will disappear one day
      Comment by Khalid Amayreh in occupied East Jerusalem
      01/05/2008

      Just as Israel inaugurated its misbegotten birth with
      genocidal ethnic cleansing sixty years ago, the evil brat of Zionism
      is marking its 60th anniversary with yet another spate of bloodletting.

      On Sunday, 27 April, the Israeli "Defense" Forces (a more appropriate
      appellation would be the Jewish Wehrmacht) murdered a mother and her
      four children in Beit Hanoun, a northern Gaza suburb.

      The mother and her kids reportedly were having breakfast when an
      artillery shell fired from an Israeli Merkava battle-tank hit their
      home, killing them instantly and mutilating their bodies.

      The graphic, blood-splattered images of the mutilated children and
      their mother raised no eyebrows among Israeli leaders and the
      Zionist-Jewish public opinion. After all, these Nazi-minded and
      Nazi-hearted Zionists have been doing this for more than sixty years.
      And the world seems to be coming to terms with these crimes as a fact
      of life. This is at least how Israel views world reactions to its
      crimes against the peoples of the Middle East.

      Anyone familiar with the Zionist way of thinking would tell you that
      whenever a pornographic carnage is committed by the Israeli
      occupation army, Israeli leaders don't indulge in soul-searching over
      the barbarian behavior they engage in. Instead, they just activate
      their hasbara machine in order to control the resulting public
      relations damage and help exonerate Israel of any wrong doing before
      the eyes of the world.

      Thus, these evil child killers have told us that their victims were
      killed not by Israeli artillery shells, but rather by Palestinian
      explosives! Well, didn't these wicked liars claim that Muhammed Durra
      was killed by Palestinian snipers in order to tarnish Israel's image?

      This is of course not the first time the Israeli army murders an
      entire family in order to inflict "shock and awe" on a people as bent
      on living and surviving as Israel is bent on killing and murdering.
      Israel's history, after all, has been an uninterrupted concatenation
      of massacres and war crimes. In fact, one would exaggerate very little
      by saying that Israel itself is a crime against humanity, and for that
      matter a continuing crime against humanity.

      The latest carnage in Gaza didn't occur in isolation. The entire Gaza
      Strip has been languishing under a harsh blockade that has much in
      common with the Nazi blockade of the Warsaw Ghetto in Poland in 1943.

      This is a truth that many people in Europe and North America can't
      bring themselves to accept, at least openly, because it is not
      politically correct to do so. Well, does the West need to see a
      full-fledged holocaust in Palestine in order to cast the holocaust
      guilt off its shoulders? Must Palestinian children be slaughtered
      every morning and every evening in order to finally bring about the
      long-awaited recuperation of Europe from the holocaust complex?

      As a result of barring the estimated 1.5 million Gaza inhabitants from
      accessing food, work, medicine and fuel, the vast bulk of the
      population has been forced into abject poverty and virtual starvation.

      Ill people who can't find the needed medicine and required medical
      care in local health facilities, are left to succumb to their
      illnesses. It is believed that more than 200 innocent Gazan patients
      have so far died as a direct result of the callous Nazi-like siege.

      This happens as Israeli officials appearing on western TV screens keep
      assuring the mostly nonchalant or morally-apathetic western audiences
      that under no circumstances would Israel allow a "humanitarian crisis"
      to develop in Gaza. Well, what, apart from lies, do we expect from
      Zionism, a Godless, satanic ideology based on murder, theft and
      mendacity?

      What do we expect from a state that sends its crack soldiers to raid
      and terrorize orphanages and boarding schools in Hebron in the dead of
      night?

      What do we expect from a state that confiscates donated food for
      orphaned children whose parents had been murdered by the Israeli
      army…a state that orders its soldiers to raid inventory warehouses and
      steal shoes, clothes, even underwear, of orphaned children under ten
      years of age?

      What do we expect from a state whose soldiers murder 12-year-old
      school kids, and then verify the kill by emptying 20 more bullets
      into the small victim's body to make sure that the dead or dying
      little girl or boy doesn't pose a threat to the security and safety of
      the heroic soldier?

      What do we expect from a state whose army bulldozers crush peace
      activists to death and then tells the world that " the bulldozer
      driver acted in accordance with outstanding instructions and did
      nothing wrong."

      Obviously, a sate as such is a Nazi state par excellence.

      Well, I know that Israel has produced good scientists and built good
      hospitals and made impressive achievements in science, technology and
      other fields.

      But this doesn't mean much in moral terms. Nazi Germany, too, produced
      many good scientists, built many good hospitals and made impressive
      achievements in science and technology.

      Besides, what is the point of inventing advanced electronic devices
      and then using the technology in murdering and maiming sleeping
      children and women and other innocent civilians?

      Indeed, what is the point of building a prosperous state on a
      foundation of oppression, mass murder and ethnic cleansing?

      Israel may appear modern, vigorous and democratic to much of the
      outside world. But for us, the Palestinians, Israel is and will
      always be a murderer, a thief and a liar.

      Israel stole our country away from us, ethnically cleansed our people,
      destroyed our homes, bulldozed our towns and villages, poisoned our
      water wells lest we return, and then expelled the bulk of our people
      to the four corners of the globe…these are the very people Israeli
      leaders and spokespersons now shamelessly call "terrorists."

      Yes, Israel is militarily and economically powerful; it has a huge
      stockpile of nuclear weapons, and pro-Israeli pressure groups control
      the American government as well as much of the media and show business
      in the United States.

      So what?

      Evil states, like evil people, don not last forever.
      And Israel will be no exception.