Arab American University in Jenin Boycotts Israel

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2008
      Interview: Boycotting Israel at the Arab American University in Jenin
      http://aaron.resist.ca/node/181

      ---> To download the recorded version of this interview, visit:
      http://www.ncra.ca/exchange/dspProgramDetail.cfm?programID=69960

      Ashraf is from Tulkarem, Palestine. He graduated from the Arab
      American University in Jenin (www.aauj.edu) in the summer of 2007 with
      a degree in computer information technology. With the student group
      Green Resistance at his university, he organized a successful boycott
      campaign which saw Israeli products banned from the campus.

      In this interview, Ashraf talks about boycotts as a highly effective
      tool of non-violent resistance against the occupation, and also
      reflects on the campaign as part of an international campaign of
      Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) against Israeli apartheid.

      Interview conducted by Aaron Lakoff in Ramallah, Palestine on April
      19, 2008.

      Aaron: I wanted to talk about the boycott campaign at your school.
      Can you start from the beginning and tell me what kind of Israeli
      products were being sold there, and why you and other students decided
      to start a boycott campaign.

      Asrhaf: Well first of all, in general, Israeli products are almost
      everywhere, inside every single Palestinian shop inside the West Bank
      and Gaza. In our situation at the Arab American University, we had
      almost no Palestinian products. It was only Israeli juice and Israeli
      water. So first we started by studying how many students buy Israeli
      juice and water. At the beginning we thought of focusing on one
      product which has an alternative, like water or juice, so that this
      would be more effective. And also for students to understand and buy
      the other alternative.

      So we found out that everyday, 5-6 thousand shekels ($1580 US) goes to
      Israel only by buying only Israeli juice, which is called Tapuzina.
      And so if you take the sales taxes, you come up with around 360
      shekels which goes directly to the Israeli army. Basically half of
      the Israeli government's budget goes to the army, so we did a lot of
      research and tried to find out how to come up with exactly how many
      shekels goes to the Israeli army so that we could create an awareness
      amongst students.

      So by gathering information and statistics from 2005-2006 on how much
      Palestinian buy Israeli liquids like water and juice, and we used
      these figures in our campaign.

      Aaron: And when did the AAUJ decide to stop selling Israeli products?

      Ashraf: They stopped about a year ago.

      Aaron: What were some of the tactics for this campaign? How did you
      convince other students to get involved?

      Ashraf: One of the big powerful ways to create awareness amongst
      students is statistics and figures on the ground, because most
      Palestinians are not aware of how much money we're giving Israel
      through buying their products. And we don't know how much that can
      really change things, when we know that the first market for Israel is
      the Palestinians, we can use that as a powerful weapon to change the
      policy of Israel against Palestinians as a part of the non-violent
      resistance. And it actually has been used in places like South Africa
      and India, and it worked. And definitely, 100%, it can work here.

      Aaron: What were some of the names of Palestinian companies whose
      products you could find at your school?

      Ashraf: You could find the Israeli juice, Tapuzina. You could find
      the Israeli water, Ein Gedi. You could find some other products like
      ice cream, citruses, but we mostly focused on juice or water.

      Aaron: I know with some of these Israeli products, sometimes they are
      manufactured in settlements, or using Palestinian "cheap labour". Was
      that the case with any of these products?

      Ashraf: Definitely with Tapuzina, on the label of the product, it
      doesn't say exactly where it comes from. It just says "Israel". And
      there has been a court hearing, and at the court they wanted to say
      exactly where it comes from, because it does come from a settlement.
      So far it still says Israel, but it doesn't say where it comes from.
      The same thing with Ein Gedi.

      Aaron: What was the outcome of the campaign? How was it won in the end?

      Ashraf: Well, our main focus was on the students. Our future plan or
      goal was of course to make the university stop brining Tapuzina and
      Israeli products on campus.

      But at the same time, you can have only Palestinian products on
      campus, but the students can buy Israeli products outside. So
      basically we were focusing on students and trying to educate them with
      statistics and numbers – trying to make them see that we are actually
      supporting our occupier, supporting the Israeli army by giving them
      our money. And according to Palestinian statistics in 2005,
      Palestinians spend around 800 million dollars only on liquids – juice
      and water. 800 million dollars goes directly to Israel. So focusing
      on this number, if we can stop giving Israel 800 million dollars every
      year just from their water… it's actually water from settlements which
      has been confiscated and stolen from Palestinian villages… so by
      stopping giving this amount of money, 100% it will change something.

      Aaron: How many students are at the AAUJ?

      Ashraf: This year there were around 4 000.

      Aaron: And what are the conditions for people going to school there?
      What are some of the obstacles that the Israeli occupation has put in
      place for students?

      Ashraf: At the beginning of the first uprising, the first Intifada,
      most universities were closed. For example, Birzeit University was
      closed for 6 years. Hebron University was closed as well. This is
      why I chose to study at the AAUJ. Because when I finished high
      school, that was the only university that was sort of available, or
      easy to access. Other universities I would have had to go through
      checkpoints, or find an apartment. Even at our university we had
      curfews. The army comes to the universities and sets up checkpoints
      in front of the gate and stops students from getting their education.
      So yes, the education system in Palestine has been widely affected by
      the occupation.

      Aaron: So now that Israeli juices and water aren't sold at your
      university, are their Palestinian products which are being sold in
      their place? What are the alternatives?

      Ashraf: Well, now they are selling Egyptian and Palestinian juice.

      Aaron: This boycott campaign at your school is in a wider context of a
      very large movement here in Palestine for Boycott, Divestment, and
      Sanctions (against Israel). Can you talk a bit about how you see the
      campaign at your school, and how it fits in with this larger,
      worldwide campaign to boycott Israeli apartheid?

      Ashraf: Our university was not the only example. At Birzeit
      University they had a boycott campaign. At some other universities,
      like An-Najah University, they started a boycott campaign recently.
      And also in villages like Beit Sahour in the 1980's they had a boycott
      campaign as well.

      I personally feel it's a very powerful way to resist the occupation in
      a very non-violent way. Obviously everything is about the economy. If
      the Israeli economy is down, they have to think about that before they
      do anything else. And if we are the main market for Israel, that's
      something we can use to resist the occupation.

      And the same thing abroad, in other countries in Europe or America or
      Canada, definitely the boycott and divestment definitely can create
      some pressure.

      --->For more information on the global BDS campaign against Israeli
      apartheid, see:
      www.pacbi.org
      www.stopthewall.org
      www.caiaweb.org

      [Aaron Lakoff is an independent journalist from Montreal, Canada. He
      is currently volunteering with the International Middle East Media
      Center, www.imemc.org, in Beit Sahour, Palestine. He previous reports
      can be found on his blog at http://aaron.resist.ca]