Indonesia to Inspect US Bio-Lab

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2008
      US Navy research lab under microscope in Indonesia

      JAKARTA (AFP) — The future of a major US Navy research laboratory in
      Indonesia is in doubt amid allegations, dismissed as "crazy" by US
      diplomats, of espionage and secret experiments.

      Negotiations between Washington and Jakarta over the renewal of the
      operating contract of US Naval Medical Research Unit-2, or Namru-2,
      have stalled over a range of issues including diplomatic immunity for
      its US staff.

      Established in Indonesia in 1970 and charged with researching
      infectious diseases of military importance, the facility employs 19
      Americans and more than 100 Indonesians and is based in Indonesian
      health ministry grounds.

      Its operations have attracted suspicion from a number of quarters in
      the world's largest Muslim country, from anti-US religious hardliners
      to outspoken Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari and Defence Minister
      Juwono Sudarsono.

      "We'll conduct some checks on their presence in Indonesia," Vice
      President Jusuf Kalla said after Friday prayers last week.

      Supari, whose ministry has worked with the US laboratory on projects
      including malaria research and bird flu early warning systems, has
      thrown fuel on to the diplomatic fire.

      "Until today there have been no significantly useful results for the
      people (from Namru-2's research)," she said last month.

      "Problems with contagious diseases such as malaria and dengue fever
      are still relatively the same... My people ask me why is there a
      health laboratory working together with a foreign military?"

      Some parliamentarians have demanded the laboratory's operating
      contract, which expired in 2005, be torn up and its facilities taken
      over by Jakarta.

      Parliamentary foreign affairs commissioner Mutamimul Ula called
      Thursday for an "investigation into allegations that Namru-2 staffers
      were involved in intelligence operations."

      "There is this flavour of intelligence activities... This can't be
      avoided in the eyes of the public. It is part of the defence organism
      of a foreign country," Ula said.

      The controversy and the delays in the renewal of the contract appear
      to be causing a degree of angst among US officials in the departments
      of health and state, reflecting the importance Washington attaches to
      the facility.

      Namru-2 has been a major point of US-Indonesian cooperation over the
      years, including times when relations over other issues were strained.
      US President George W. Bush mentioned the facility in a joint
      statement with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono when he
      visited Jakarta in 2006.

      Apparently stung by the latest whirlwind of allegations, some of which
      stretch back several years, the US embassy has issued a statement
      entitled "The Truth About Namru-2."

      "There's been rumours over the last 10 years that we had to respond
      to," US embassy deputy chief of mission John A. Heffern told AFP.

      "It's just crazy," he said of the allegations of spying and secret
      experiments, adding that Namru-2 was "totally unclassified, totally

      "If the Indonesian ministry of health wants the raw data, it's totally
      open to them," he said.

      "Hopefully we will resume our negotiations. This doesn't help."

      Sticking points in the negotiations have included the US's insistence
      that all American staff at the laboratory be given diplomatic immunity.

      Complicating matters is a separate dispute between Washington and
      Jakarta over bird flu samples.

      Jakarta is insisting on "the recognition of sovereign rights of states
      over their biological resources," and fears the flu samples will be
      used by foreign companies to make vaccines, which will be too
      expensive for Indonesians.

      US officials have slammed the position, with US Secretary of Health
      and Human Services Michael Leavitt recently stressing the importance
      of international cooperation to tackle the bird flu threat.

      "The United States has very important relationships here in Indonesia,
      that involve joint work in laboratories in various levels of research,
      and we have pledged to continue that," Leavitt said after meeting
      Yudhoyono last month.

      Indonesia has the highest number of human bird flu victims, with 108
      people known to have died in the sprawling archipelago from the disease.

      The World Health Organisation, which has designated Namru-2 as a
      Collaborating Centre on disease research, has warned that Indonesia is
      putting its own population in danger by failing to share its samples.