Gaza's 6 millennia history

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Gaza a City with six millennia history
      By: Dr. Saeb Shaath
      http://www.amin.org/look/amin/en.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=7&NrArticle=44470&NrIssue=1&NrSection=3

      Gaza held to be of major strategic importance; the only overland route
      between Africa and Asia, which led predynastic Egypt to establish in
      3500 B.C. the citadel of Tell Sakan on the banks of the Wadi Ghazzeh,
      some twelve kilometers from the modern city. In the second millennia
      BC, The Egyptians lost control of the city to the "Hyksos", who
      expanded Gaza nearer to the sea front and built "Tell al Ajjul".
      Hyksos people marched southward and captured the Great Egyptian
      Empire, about 1650 BC. They lasted around 100 years, before the
      Egyptian army chasing them out to the outskirts of Gaza "Tell al
      Ajjul", the Egyptian besieged Gaza for over of 3 years. History
      informs us that the Egyptian then failed to crack Gaza and retreated,
      200 years later Gaza however fell once again under the domination of
      Egypt, an event marked in History as the conquest by Thutmose III on
      25 April 1468 B.C.

      Gaza's history has been shaped by its strategic location; in 734 B.C.,
      the Assyrian empire took complete control of Gaza. The Persian Empire
      in 539 B.C. expanded and annexed Gaza. In Gaza there is the ancient
      Greek city of Antidon dated to around 520 B.C a port and settlement
      four kilometers from Gaza city. In 332 BC, Alexander the Great
      besieged Gaza, the last city to resist his design, for the control of
      the ancient world. Most of the old Babylonian domain, including Egypt,
      swiftly crumbled into Alexander's hands.

      Gaza dared to resist; nevertheless, a siege of two months followed by
      a ruin as complete as that of Tyre. The defenders, mostly local Arabs,
      fought to death, the women and children were taken captive. In 145 BC
      Gaza was conquered by Jonathan the Hasmonean (Brother of Judah the
      Maccabee) who destroyed the suburbs of Gaza by fire .The Jewish king
      Alexander Jannaeus after a siege of a year, brought destruction and
      massacres around 96 BC. Neither Alexander the Greta's bloody conquest
      in 332 B.C. nor the brutal one by Alexander Janneus in 96 B.C. could
      vanish Gaza who endured and rose again.

      Around 50 B.C. Gaza became magnificent and so luxurious under the
      Romans. Gaza would reach the peak of civilization; Gaza's exports in
      the 5th century A.D _Byzantine empire era, reached as far as England,
      Ireland and Geneva, Gaza's Schools graduated leading theologians such
      as Barsanuphius, John of Gaza and Mark the Deacon, whose writings
      profoundly influenced Christianity at its very early stages. According
      to the Jewish Encyclopedia : Famous Gazan Jews have included the
      medieval liturgical poet Israel Najara, who is buried in Gaza's local
      cemetery, the Sabbatean prophet Nathan of Gaza as well as rabbi
      Abraham Azulai who lived in Gaza in 1619, it was there that he wrote
      the book for which he is remembered, his cabalistic work "Hesed
      le-Avraham".

      The arrival of the Islam in 637 A.D. would not change its unique
      character. Gaza remained a central crossroad. From the 8th century
      sheltered the most highly celebrated school of law in all of Islam,
      founded by Muhammad al-Shafi. The Crusaders under Baldwin I fought
      hard the Arabian armies to control Gaza. In the 1170 the Crusaders
      lost Gaza to Saladin.

      Gaza became a prosperous city under the Mameluks _ Between the 13th
      and 16th century, "A city so rich in trees it looks like a cloth of
      brocade spread out upon the land," wrote the 14th-century Syrian
      scholar al-Dimashqi of his extensive view of Gaza City. In1516, at the
      battle of Khan Yaunis _Gaza's Southern major Town, Turkish forces
      under the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha defeated the Mameluks in
      KhanYaunis, Gaza falls under Turkish control. In 1660, Hussein Pasha
      made Gaza the capital of Palestine. Napoleon captured Gaza city In
      February 1799, when his forces entered the city terrible plague
      engulfed them and forced Napoleon to retreat from Gaza. In 1832
      Mohammad Ali made Gaza part of Egypt ,soon it becomes part of the
      Ottoman Empire who fought the British three Battles in defence of
      Gaza. The Ottomans lost it to the British in the Third Battle of Gaza
      on 7 November 1917 during the First World War. Sir Archibald Murray
      who led the first and the second Battle of Gaza in 1916 - 1917 was
      dismissed and replaced by "the Bull" -General Edmund Allenby, who
      deceived the defenders by attacking Beersheba and then besieging Gaza.
      Gaza fell, Allenby's road to Jerusalem opened up. On September 12,
      2005, the Israeli cabinet formally declared an end to military rule of
      Gaza; the IDF dismantled the settlements and retreated behind the
      walls and electric fences. It was another astonishing reminder of
      Gaza's history and defiance.

      ===

      Gaza: Apocalypse now!
      By: Dr. Saeb Shaath
      http://www.amin.org/look/amin/en.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=7&NrArticle=44438&NrIssue=1&NrSection=3

      Long before our Great Samson and teasing Delilah, Gaza lived for
      millenniums in which it played a major role in shaping the ancient
      world fate. The living ancient cities of the world are very few, Gaza
      has been described as one of the world's oldest living cities, the
      name Gaza means "strength and prevalence", many Layers of civilisation
      lie beneath its busy streets. To uncover part of the ancient history
      of Gaza visit the Israel Museum, or the private collections of the IDF
      generals they have Gaza's history on display in their villas. When we
      ride "Salh el Deen"- Saladin road, which connect Gaza's cities towns
      and villages ; we are riding a road had been ridden before us by the
      greatest leaders, generals, Assyrian, Persian, prophets , Pharaohs,
      Alexander the Great, the Crusaders, Napoleon Bonaparte, the Turks, the
      British, even American presidents and chiefs of the CIA. Gaza held to
      be of major strategic importance; the only overland route between
      Africa and Asia, which led predynastic Egypt to establish in 3500 B.C.
      the citadel of "Tell Sakan" on the banks of the Wadi Ghazzeh, from
      Gaza "Tell al Ajjul" In the second millennia BC, the Hyksos people
      marched southward and captured the Great Egyptian Empire, about 1650
      BC. We discovered how rich and sophisticated Gazan's way of life has
      been pre-historic times. Gaza's exports in the 5th century A.D
      _Byzantine empire era, reached as far as England, Ireland and Geneva,
      Gaza's Schools graduated leading theologians such as Barsanuphius,
      John of Gaza and Mark the Deacon, whose writings profoundly influenced
      Christianity at its very early stages. Gaza is still with us on planet
      earth and tells us, armies have come and armies have gone and ancient
      Gaza has endured and risen repeatedly. Villains failed to send it in
      orbit to mar or sink it in the Mediterranean Sea; there is a lesson to
      be learned. The Ottomans lost Gaza to the British in the Third Battle
      of Gaza on 7 November 1917 during the First World War. Sir Archibald
      Murray who led the first and the second Battle of Gaza in 1916 - 1917
      was dismissed and replaced by "the Bull" -General Edmund Allenby, who
      deceived the defenders by attacking Beersheba and then besieging Gaza.
      Gaza fell, Allenby's road to Jerusalem opened up.

      The British Political elite designs for Palestine became more obvious,
      it was a true copy of Napoleon Bonaparte's falling vision for
      Palestine. By imposing, the British mandate on Palestine, the British
      began in implementing Bonaparte's plan in creating Palestine as Jewish
      state, to control by proxy the whole of the Arab world and to solve
      the "eastern problem" -the Jewish problem in Europe. The Holocaust
      began in earnest in Palestine, against Arabs by Jewish terrorist
      groups who have been brought into Palestine trained and supplied by
      the British forces. In Germany and Poland, another Holocaust took
      place against Jews and many other people. New waves of Jewish refugees
      arrived to Palestine; the newly arrived refugees began in taking their
      revenge on the Germans by killing the Arabs! European guilt complex of
      what took place in Europe made them to ignore the Holocaust taking
      place in Palestine. As a direct result, today there are over 8
      million Palestinian refugees and a new style of incarcerations for
      whole nation is taking place, whole cities surrounded by massive walls
      100 feet tall 20 feet thick, imprisoning the whole population of every
      town and city.

      Sometimes dividing them in quarters, the walls are supported by 650
      military checkpoints, in or out of them, high military authority
      permits are required, they are bounties, given to the selected few.
      Sometimes they just forget about whom inside for month Gaza is
      startling example. They have huge numbers of high-tech spying cameras
      to watch every single move of everyone, spying satellite systems,
      nukes and endless arsenal of secrete WMDs. The knowhow from the west
      and all paid for by the western tax payers, from the interest of that
      money their lobbies buy the support of western politicians, that is to
      say smart!

      In unique Gaza that has again honoured its past by defeating the IDF
      who is armed by the most sophisticated American war machines. The IDF
      retreated and sealed Gaza by massive walls, electric and electronic
      fences, the IDF's companies continued sucking Gaza's water out, and
      they are selling it back to the Gazan's people! Aren't they are so
      smart? Armed by Paris protocol, nothing gets in or out without the IDF
      approval, any goods in or out have to go through security
      examination, that by itself is a unique process since it destroy most
      of the goods, but who dares to object? Apart from the high taxes,
      their service to the little Palestinian producers whose exports meanly
      vegetables fruits and flowers, is to keep the fresh produce in the
      checkpoints for weeks. The large Agro Israel companies come to the
      scene, they take what Western super markets chains need, and sell it
      for a very nice price; for fresh mint or flat leaf parsley we pay one
      GBP or two USD dollars, for a small little bag of it. How much do you
      suppose the Israel's fat cats pay the little farmer in Palestine, for
      that bag, around two cents, that if he is lucky to sell in the first
      place. That is to say, the happy scenario, the alternative is what
      happing now in Gaza, utter devastation. Israeli military actions since
      2000, according to the Israeli civil rights group B'Tselem, have
      killed four times as many civilians and eight times as many children
      as the number of Israelis killed by Palestinian violence.

      Israeli factories got special production lines for the Palestinians;
      God knows why? Since they can consume only what the IDF allows them
      to, they are easy money for greedy capitalist in Israel. They spare
      nothing at all from the Palestinians, to the extent of dumping
      industrial toxic fluids on the north of Gaza. As all of us watched
      recently on CNN, BBC and Aljazeera news networks, Gaza was subjected
      to a new style of Holocaust, what the Gazan's people have to counter
      the IDF's state of the art high-tech weapons with? They have their
      right to resist, and they improvise in making their primitive
      missiles, after all, they are imprisoned by the IDF. Gazan's are
      denied the necessities of existence, why is that? Don't we campaign
      for animal's protection, and demand not to be subjected for scientific
      labs experiments, don't we argue with the Japanese over whaling, we
      passed laws against foxhunting? Why then ignoring what is happening to
      millions of refugees from Palestine? They are under attack on daily
      bases, for demanding the Implantations of the UN resolutions that
      definitely granted them the right to return to their homes, the irony
      here is that, the same resolutions gave birth to the State of Israel!
      What would we do if someone kicks us out of our home and told us that
      God gave it to them? What would you do? How would you deal with that?
      When the bullies and law enforcers sides with them; that is the
      position, every Palestinian found themselves in. Israel and its
      British sponsors then blocked the implantation of the resolutions and
      furthered their attacks on the Neighbouring Arab countries_1956 attack
      on Gaza and Egypt. The new kid on the block, the American, as a new
      world super power and Sponsor of Israel, added a new dimension to the
      conflict, their agenda suddenly matches those advocates of the
      apocalypse theories, they are using their religious visions to bring
      their prophesies to a swift conclusion. They are in a hurry after the
      utter dissemination of Iraq, seeking to attack Iran and Syria, using
      the same old pathetic scenario, "Hollywood style". Creating the
      stereotype demonised enemy, making sure to add bits and pieces, to
      frighten us more, they are good at it they do it so well, the Arab
      enemy got to have WMDs, they are so evil. Our so smart CIA, M5 and M6
      told us, they are ready to nuke us in minutes; its orange or read
      alert, they can get their extra funds now. Arabs have replaced the red
      evil empire, Islam as a religion replaced communism, in a wider
      context, the danger is greater when they define religion as an enemy,
      suddenly there are billions of suspects, or potential enemies' .No
      country is far from the battlefield, the new enemy lives among us.
      Bless your soul Alfred Hitchcock; you were original, but not so scary,
      now we know the real horror and the intense fear industry. Few weeks
      back, I watched a move which I seen before in 1996, it rang some
      bells inside, I assumed the planners for the new Armageddon, have
      adopted and implemented its scenario, or some parts of it. Its Geena
      Davis's "The Long Kiss Goodnight ", I heard they are going to make a
      sequel soon to it, so I plead with Samantha Caine (Geena Davis) and
      Mitch (Samuel L. Jackson) to make sure their scenario deals with
      villains from Mars, please, just in case.The new kid has a vision, to
      create a pure Jewish state, by transferring millions of Arabs
      Christians and Muslims outside of Israel, the concept sees Egypt,
      Saudi Arabia and the Arabian Gulf states sinks in sectarian turmoil;
      Lebanese style; Is that due to Oil or USA world hegemony? I believe
      the western Imperialists; have to have an enemy to stay united, so
      they can maintain their dominance over the world and its resources, to
      keep the gab so wide between the west and the rest. In this context,
      they keep shifting the enemy image from race to another, ideology to
      religion. Using terminology such as, the free world, civilized world,
      our way of life, our values, the others, evil empire, axis of evil,
      Islamic terrorism -few years back the Islamic terrorists were part of
      the Regan and Thatcher freedom fighters squads "Mujahedeen" who waged
      a Holy war –" Jihad", against the Red evil Empire, as both, Regan and
      Thatcher informed us, Ben Laden was their hero then, I wonder what
      really changed. The US political élite believes, the alternative to
      Islam as an enemy, would be turning on each other, the lesson they
      learned from 1st WW ,2nd WW and the cold war against Russia. Adding
      insults to injury some religious freaks pumping us up with, fear and
      obsession to bring the world to an end; I know for a fact there is
      over 60 million Americans, who became firm believers in apocalypse
      theories, the dangerous thing, is in the way American Media and news
      networks, Europeans to some extent, play on that fear and obsession,
      they introduce the Apocalypse preachers to us as Middle Eastern
      Political experts. I recall one of them analysing Hurricane Katrina's
      disaster, saying "this is punishment from Gad, because we have been
      pressurising Israel to make peace with Arabs", believe it or not, they
      got the congress and the white House full attention. We are life
      lovers; we pay green taxes to save our planet, so our kids would
      inherit a clean and beautiful earth, I wonder, why we pay taxes, to
      Governments who easily fulfil such freakish agendas? Why we call upon
      Pakistan to reform it Madrassas? When we have huge organizations and
      colossal Churches, who calls for a final showdown on the soil of
      Palestine. Where is the moral majority? Who stands for humanity and
      farness, it is about time for someone to calm them down, teach them
      the ethos of live and let live?

      There are 8 million Palestinian refugees that have been granted the
      right to return to their homes by International community, it is our
      duty to implement the UN resolution and enforce it on the ones who
      disrespect the UN and the International Community, like the state of
      Israel. Otherwise, the International community has to retract the
      resolutions, that generously gave birth to the state of Israel, by the
      same mandate, declare one state for all the residents, who lives or
      lived in historic Palestine. To establish a secular state which
      grantees, the rights of everyone to live and build their future in
      peace, one-man one vote, eradicate the racists state polices, South
      Africa is a perfect example for what can be done. There is no
      alternative to that right now, since Bush's vision and Blair's viable
      Palestine state, have vanished under the wall, the settlements,
      military checkpoints and electric barbwires. The exoduses of Gaza
      went southward this time, from here on who knows what would happen in
      the land of the merciless, are we waiting for another Samson to
      bringing down the whole of Palestine on himself and his captors?

      * Writer, thinker public speaker on Middle Eastern affairs, and a
      former diplomat. He is the co-founder of Irish Map (Medical Aid for
      Palestine)