Kadhafi warns US allies

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      Kadhafi warns US allies could suffer Saddam's fate
      Sat Mar 29, 2008
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080329/wl_mideast_afp/arabsummitkadhafi_080329143121DVERTISEMENT

      DAMASCUS (AFP) - Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi warned Arab allies of
      the United States that they could meet the same fate as former Iraq
      president Saddam Hussein, hanged in 2006 three years after the US-led
      invasion.

      "A foreign force occupied an Arab country and hanged its president and
      we stood by and watched," he told an Arab summit in the Syrian capital.

      Saddam was hanged in December 2006 after being sentenced to death for
      crimes against humanity over the mass killing of Shiites in the 1980s.

      "How can they execute a prisoner of war and the president of a member
      of the Arab League?" Kadhafi asked.

      He said Saddam had been a friend of the United States during the
      Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s "before they turned against him and
      executed him."

      "You could all suffer the same fate," he warned.

      "Even you, even we, who are considered friends of America, one day
      (America) can give the green light for our own hanging," said the
      Libyan leader whose country resumed ties with the United States in
      2004 after a 23-year break.

      Diplomatic ties between Washington and Tripoli were restored after
      Kadhafi announced that Libya had renounced efforts to acquire weapons
      of mass destruction.

      Full links were normalised last year with an exchange of ambassadors
      and Libya's removal from a US State Department list of states
      supporting terrorism.

      Kadhafi also deplored what he called a lack of unity among the
      22-member Arab League.

      "We insult each other and we plot against one another," he said. "We
      share the same blood and the same language, although it is threatened
      with disappearance, but apart from that nothing unites us."

      Half of the region's leaders boycotted the Arab summit, with many
      blaming Syria for the continuing political crisis in Lebanon.