Tracking the journey of the jeans

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      The story of the blues: Tracking the journey of the £9 pair of jeans
      Thursday, 28 February 2008
      http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/the-story-of-the-blues-tracking-the-journey-of-the-1639-pair-of-jeans-788460.html

      Fred Pearce wanted to know where his £9 jeans really came from. So he
      travelled to Bangladesh, where he found the disturbing (and
      surprisingly complex) answer

      Fred Pearce with the pair of cheaply produced jeans - Terry Pengilley

      Five women lived in the room altogether. Three of the women, Aisha,
      Akhi and Miriam, lined up on one bed. I sat on the other.

      The room had corrugated iron for roof and walls. There was a
      black-and-white television flickering in the corner and a fan overhead
      to make the hot evening bearable. "We've lived here for two years,"
      said Akhi, the most talkative of the women. They worked shifts of 11
      hours, and sometimes more, in a nearby garment factory in Dhaka, the
      capital of Bangladesh.

      I had travelled to Dhaka to find where the jeans I was wearing came
      from, and the numerous other cheap garments labelled "Made in
      Bangladesh" on sale across Europe. I anticipated finding the
      unacceptable face of Bangladesh's garments industry, and discovering
      where sweatshop labour was even cheaper than in India. I was right on
      both counts. But I also discovered a strange flowering of female
      emancipation. These three young women, and hundreds of thousands more
      in this teeming city, were the first in many generations of their
      families in conservative, rural, Muslim Bangladesh to have any sort of
      economic independence, or personal rights beyond those allowed by
      their husbands. Life here was better than in the rice paddies and
      prawn farms. It was freedom and wealth, of a sort.

      I had found the women by ducking beneath a flyover in the Mohakhali
      district of Dhaka, one of the city's many garment manufacturing zones,
      then taking a dark lane down beside the railway tracks towards a food
      market and entering a warren of alleys through an unmarked door. There
      were 84 families packed in here, each occupying a single room. This
      was typical of where the seamstresses and occasional male co-workers
      of Dhaka's huge garments industry live.

      Aisha, Akhi, Miriam and the two other absent women each paid 500 taka
      a month for their room. Or £3.70. You wouldn't expect much for that
      money. But on wages of 1,660 taka a month, it was all they could
      afford. The overcrowding was severe.

      I could not visit their factory, but I saw others. Dark, dingy
      sweatshops up narrow flights of stairs, often with bars on the windows
      and blocked fire exits. The noise of sewing machines could be
      deafening; the managers could be intimidating; the drudgery unimaginable.

      One of the women hemmed trousers, another sewed collars on to shirts,
      the third put in zip fasteners. Day in and day out. "Officially, we
      get one day off a week, but if there is extra work we have to carry on
      working," Akhi said. In Bangladesh, there is a legal maximum of 50
      hours a month overtime, and employers are not allowed to require women
      to work after 8pm. But sometimes, she said, they work all night and
      could clock up a 120-hour week. I had no way of checking these
      figures, but no reason to dispute them.

      Whom do they cut and sew and press shirts and jeans for? You and me,
      of course. The biggest customer at the factory where two of the women
      worked was H&M, or Swedish fashion company Hennes & Mauritz. My
      daughter buys a lot from H&M. And H&M buys around half of its cotton
      textiles from Bangladeshi garment-makers. Most analysts believe the
      company is the biggest European customer in the whole of Bangladesh.
      So my daughter will very likely have something from this factory in
      her wardrobe.

      I asked these women what they thought about H&M, expecting an angry
      reply. But no. The garment workers constantly swap notes about working
      conditions, and H&M has a better than average reputation. The company
      pays more attention to their needs, they felt. So it was disturbing to
      hear claims that even H&M, for all its goodwill, was being hoodwinked.

      The buyers – the brands' representatives in Bangladesh – make regular
      inspections of the factory, the women said. But "they always inform
      the owners first. Before they come, the managers come through the
      factory with megaphones. We are told to prepare the factory, to clean
      up. And they instruct us what to say about working hours and holidays
      and conditions. We have to lie about holidays especially." I asked
      about other brands. Of one, they said, "they are only concerned about
      the product." There was one factory where that company was the only
      customer. "That is the worst factory in Mohakhali."

      Most of the 4,000-plus garment factories in Dhaka have English names.
      They have uplifting names. Harvest Rich and Sunman Sweaters, Glory
      Garments and Niagara Textiles. Some companies do their best, I am
      sure. But overall, this is a world of corner-cutting, subterfuge and
      threats. In recent times, the women said, buyers have threatened to
      withdraw business after reports of workers being sacked without
      reason. So the factory managers found a way round the problem. "They
      demanded that we sign a resignation letter. If they later decide to
      sack us for any reason, and if there is a protest about it, they will
      show the resignation letter to the buyer."

      I heard dozens of similar stories, both scandalous and petty. Some
      said that if they took a day off sick, they would be refused
      admittance to the factory and then fired for non-attendance. One was
      excluded for taking five days off work when her husband died. Others
      had no contracts of employment at all. They reeled off the brand names
      that their employers contracted for: Wal-Mart and Gap, H&M and M&S,
      Sears and Asda.

      But the women also told me about their former lives in rural
      Bangladesh. The three women in the Mohakhali slum all came from
      villages around Dhaka. Akhi had seven brothers and sisters. Back home
      there wasn't enough land, and certainly not enough work, to support so
      many. So the families sent their young women to find jobs in Dhaka.
      Aisha and Miriam, sisters-in-law, together sent home 4,000 taka a
      month (about £30). The alarming truth was that these women, for all
      their pitiful surroundings, were the rich ones in their families.

      Aisha and Akhi both had children back in their villages. They said
      they hoped to go back one day. But that seemed an idle hope.

      Most don't go back, and these women already seemed caught between two
      worlds. I noticed a cheap bag on a hook at the back of the room.
      "Gucci," it said in large letters on the front. It was a fake, of
      course. But unlike their mothers and sisters back in the village,
      these women had heard of Gucci. They aspired. What else was there to
      dream of when making clothes for Western consumers than of joining them?

      But the economic gap between their world and ours is huge. In 2006,
      the Bangladeshi government raised the minimum wage across the country
      for the first time in a decade. It was now 1,662 taka a month – or 5
      pence an hour. No wonder the likes of M&S are moving here. Why pay 18
      or even 36 pence an hour when you can pay 5 pence instead?

      Child labour is largely banished now from the factories that Western
      buyers know about. But it persists on a small scale among the
      subcontractors that the factories call on to meet customers'
      deadlines. During my visit to Dhaka, I saw a locked-up building next
      to a non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Shyamoli, a middle-class
      suburb. My host said it was a garment factory that operated
      occasionally. The workers appeared to be children. He often heard
      their voices amid the sound of machinery, in the middle of the night.
      He seemed nervous about intervening, and didn't know whom the children
      worked for.

      Nazma Akter, the founder of the Awaj Foundation, said some buyers were
      sympathetic about the obvious exploitation of both children and adult
      workers, but "in the end they are not serious. Price comes first.
      Every time the buyers make another order, they want lower prices."

      One top manager at a garment company told me: "These big-brand
      companies have corporate social responsibility departments, but the
      people who make the orders don't talk to them. We see it here all the
      time. The CSR people come in and stipulate basic standards. Then the
      next day the buyers come in and drive down prices and bring forward
      deadlines." The truth is that retailers talk about little else but
      price. And the "race to the bottom" in the mass marketing of cheap
      clothes is intensifying.

      Nazma Akter dismissed Western hand-wringing, and said she thought that
      it would be pressure from within that would ultimately clean up the
      industry. But she pleaded with customers in Europe not to respond with
      boycotts. The jobs, poor as many were, empowered women. Western
      consumers, she said, should be demanding better conditions for the
      women of Dhaka, and above all should be willing to pay higher prices.
      And retailers should stop competing on price. But please, she said,
      "don't stop buying". Most of the garment workers I spoke to agreed.
      They had a good sense of their worth, and how they were being let down
      by the obsession of Western consumers with ever lower prices.
      Shuktara, who came to Dhaka eight years ago, told me, "Our pay in a
      month is less than the price that you pay for a pair of jeans."

      "We just want the customers in Europe to know that we would like them
      to pay more for their clothes so that maybe we will get paid more
      too," said one garment worker. I can't imagine myself being so sanguine.

      Caught up in the human stories, I had lost track of the story of my
      jeans. I had bought a pair of Blue Horizon jeans for £9 in Marks and
      Spencer a few months before. Made in Bangladesh. M&S bought them from
      a company called Spencer's Apparel, part of the large Medlar Group.
      The fabric that made the jeans came from the Nassa Group, which was
      Wal-Mart's "International Supplier of the Year" in 2002. But M&S
      didn't want to give me an introduction to the company, and without
      that the companies weren't interested in talking to me. So I asked
      Khorshed Alam, who writes reports on garment companies for Western
      NGOs and retailers alike, about them. They weren't the worst, he said,
      but not the best either. Just one of the pack in the race to the bottom.

      This is an edited extract from Confessions of an Eco Sinner – Travels
      to Find Where My Stuff Comes From by Fred Pearce, published by Eden
      Project Books, £12.99. To obtain copies for the special price of
      £11.69 (including free P&P), call Independent Books Direct on 0870 079
      8897, or visit independentbooksdirect.co.uk