Native Tribes Secede from US

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2008
      Descendants of Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse break away from US
      http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iVC1KMTOgwiSoMQyT2LwZc9HyAgA

      "We are no longer citizens of the United States of America and all
      those who live in the five-state area that encompasses our country are
      free to join us," long-time Indian rights activist Russell Means told
      a handful of reporters and a delegation from the Bolivian embassy,
      gathered in a church in a run-down neighborhood of Washington for a
      news conference.

      The new country would issue its own passports and driving licences,
      and living there would be tax-free -- provided residents renounce
      their US citizenship, Means said.

      The treaties signed with the United States are merely "worthless words
      on worthless paper," the Lakota freedom activists say on their website.

      The treaties have been "repeatedly violated in order to steal our
      culture, our land and our ability to maintain our way of life," the
      reborn freedom movement says.

      Withdrawing from the treaties was entirely legal, Means said.

      "This is according to the laws of the United States, specifically
      article six of the constitution," which states that treaties are the
      supreme law of the land, he said.

      "It is also within the laws on treaties passed at the Vienna
      Convention and put into effect by the US and the rest of the
      international community in 1980. We are legally within our rights to
      be free and independent," said Means.

      ===

      Freedom! Lakota Sioux Indians Declare Sovereign Nation Status
      Threaten Land Liens, Contested Real Estate Over Five State Area in U.S.

      West Dakota Territory Reverts back to Lakota Control According to
      U.S., International Law
      http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/newsprint.cgi?file=/news2007/1220-02.htm

      WASHINGTON, DC - December 20 - Lakota Sioux Indian representatives
      declared sovereign nation status today in Washington D.C. following
      Monday's withdrawal from all previously signed treaties with the
      United States Government. The withdrawal, hand delivered to Daniel
      Turner, Deputy Director of Public Liaison at the State Department,
      immediately and irrevocably ends all agreements between the Lakota
      Sioux Nation of Indians and the United States Government outlined in
      the 1851 and 1868 Treaties at Fort Laramie Wyoming.

      "This is an historic day for our Lakota people," declared Russell
      Means, Itacan of Lakota. "United States colonial rule is at its end!"

      "Today is a historic day and our forefathers speak through us. Our
      Forefathers made the treaties in good faith with the sacred Canupa and
      with the knowledge of the Great Spirit," shared Garry Rowland from
      Wounded Knee. "They never honored the treaties, that's the reason we
      are here today."

      The four member Lakota delegation traveled to Washington D.C.
      culminating years of internal discussion among treaty representatives
      of the various Lakota communities. Delegation members included well
      known activist and actor Russell Means, Women of All Red Nations
      (WARN) founder Phyllis Young, Oglala Lakota Strong Heart Society
      leader Duane Martin Sr., and Garry Rowland, Leader Chief Big Foot
      Riders. Means, Rowland, Martin Sr. were all members of the 1973
      Wounded Knee takeover.

      "In order to stop the continuous taking of our resources – people,
      land, water and children- we have no choice but to claim our own
      destiny," said Phyllis Young, a former Indigenous representative to
      the United Nations and representative from Standing Rock.

      Property ownership in the five state area of Lakota now takes center
      stage. Parts of North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana
      have been illegally homesteaded for years despite knowledge of Lakota
      as predecessor sovereign [historic owner]. Lakota representatives say
      if the United States does not enter into immediate diplomatic
      negotiations, liens will be filed on real estate transactions in the
      five state region, clouding title over literally thousands of square
      miles of land and property.

      Young added, "The actions of Lakota are not intended to embarrass the
      United States but to simply save the lives of our people".

      Following Monday's withdrawal at the State Department, the four Lakota
      Itacan representatives have been meeting with foreign embassy
      officials in order to hasten their official return to the Family of
      Nations.

      Lakota's efforts are gaining traction as Bolivia, home to Indigenous
      President Evo Morales, shared they are "very, very interested in the
      Lakota case" while Venezuela received the Lakota delegation with
      "respect and solidarity."

      "Our meetings have been fruitful and we hope to work with these
      countries for better relations," explained Garry Rowland. "As a
      nation, we have equal status within the national community."

      Education, energy and justice now take top priority in emerging
      Lakota. "Cultural immersion education is crucial as a next step to
      protect our language, culture and sovereignty," said Means. "Energy
      independence using solar, wind, geothermal, and sugar beets enables
      Lakota to protect our freedom and provide electricity and heating to
      our people."

      The Lakota reservations are among the most impoverished areas in North
      America, a shameful legacy of broken treaties and apartheid policies.
      Lakota has the highest death rate in the United States and Lakota men
      have the lowest life expectancy of any nation on earth, excluding
      AIDS, at approximately 44 years. Lakota infant mortality rate is five
      times the United States average and teen suicide rates 150% more than
      national average. 97% of Lakota people live below the poverty line and
      unemployment hovers near 85%.

      "After 150 years of colonial enforcement, when you back people into a
      corner there is only one alternative," emphasized Duane Martin Sr.
      "The only alternative is to bring freedom into its existence by taking
      it back to the love of freedom, to our lifeway."

      We are the freedom loving Lakota from the Sioux Indian reservations of
      Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana who have traveled to
      Washington DC to withdraw from the constitutionally mandated treaties
      to become a free and independent country. We are alerting the Family
      of Nations we have now reassumed our freedom and independence with the
      backing of Natural, International, and United States law. For more
      information, please visit our new website at www.lakotafreedom.com.