Joachim Martillo: Justifying Incineration of Pakistan

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      Justifying Incineration of Pakistan
      Joachim Martillo
      Jan 2, 2008
      http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/justifying_intervention_in_pakistan_justifying_incineration_of_pakistan/0015391

      Pakistan's government claimed that al-Qaeda killed Benazir Bhutto
      without providing any evidence, but compared to other players in
      Pakistani politics al-Qaeda received quite small strategic or tactical
      benefits from the act.

      Nawaz Sharif now stands alone as the chief opposition leader and may
      receive many of Bhutto's votes.

      Parvez Musharraf can use the ensuing chaos as an excuse to cling to
      power and possibly make at least part of the Bush administration very
      happy.

      According to reports, Condi Rice pressured Benazir to return to
      Pakistan. Rice could even have threatened seizure of Benazir's wealth,
      for the USA has developed such capabilities, and outstanding
      corruption charges against Benazir and her husband would have made
      such action legal and possible under US law.

      In post-return interviews Benazir had certainly shown a willingness to
      be a good US puppet and to permit direct US military intervention in
      Pakistan. (Of course, she could have been trying to pull a Chalabi on
      the Neocons in the Bush administration.)

      watch video Frost Over the World. Video Description: Sir David
      speaks to former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto about her
      controversial return to Pakistan, who she thinks is behind the deadly
      bombing of her convoy in Karachi last month, and whether she and
      Musharraf can forge a power-sharing agreement.

      Factions within Pakistani ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence) might have
      considered Benazir's Nov. 2, 2007 interview with David Frost more than
      enough reason to kill her as would anyone that thought she might have
      fingered him in the October assassination attempt.

      The CIA has had a longstanding working relationship with ISI. If
      Benazir represented a threat to that relationship, the CIA might have
      taken her out.

      So far Neocons and the US Israel Lobby have orchestrated the
      incineration of Afghanistan and Iraq. They have increase the harshness
      of US policy toward Palestinians. They have provided political space
      for Israel to cluster-bomb Lebanon. They destroyed the best
      possibility for stability in Somalia in a decade. They are in the
      process of inciting attacks on Sudan and Iran on the model of the US
      invasion of Iraq. Adding Pakistan to the list of Arab and Muslim
      states to be destroyed would hardly be much of a stretch for
      politically influential ethnic Ashkenazi American extremists,
      fanatics, and racists.

      I spoke with David Frum after the overthrow of the Taliban in
      Pakistan. He considered the alliance with Pakistan a strategic
      liability and argued that the USA should be attacking Pakistan and not
      working with that country.

      I pointed out that good arguments identified Israel as an even greater
      strategic liability and that the USA should end its alliance with that
      state.

      Frum replied that Americans had already decided on that issue. I asked
      when. We have had no genuine public debate on Israel and certainly no
      public vote. He had no answer, but I was more impressed that already
      in December 2001 a representative Neocon was already gunning for
      Pakistan. From the Neocon standpoint, a Pakistan under Benazir Bhutto
      working closely with the USA might diminish the importance of Israel
      to the USA. Neocons control US army intelligence and could have
      ordered a hit on Benazir.

      By similar logic Israeli Mossad might have decided to knock her off.

      From the Neoconservative and Israeli standpoint, however friendly
      toward Neoconservative policy and Israeli interests Benazir might have
      been, she may be more valuable as a victim with whom Americans might
      identify because of her physical attractiveness, her perfect English
      and her Harvard education. A dead Benazir would serve exceptionally
      well as the focus of a marketing campaign into manipulating the USA to
      intervene in Pakistan. (Is it surprising that Hillary Clinton, who
      along with Angela Merkel has been heavily funded and supported by
      Israeli-American billionaire and arch-Zionist manipulator Haim Saban,
      was among the first to call for an independent international
      investigation of the murder of Benazir?)

      The early reports on the assassination indicated the possibility that
      there might have been two or even three independent simultaneous
      attempts to kill Benazir. One attempt might have involved close
      associates of Benazir.

      Any police officer knows that a competent investigation must check out
      family and friends. Benazir's son Bilawal and her husband Asif Ali
      Zardari have benefited directly from the assassination by taking
      control of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP), which she headed.
      Benazir also has many personal enemies including family members as the
      article Aunt Benazir's False Promises indicates.

      Benazir and her family do not fit the profile of idealistic democracy
      advocates as they have sometimes been portrayed in US media.

      The French, Polish, Spanish, and Swiss governments have provided
      documents that indicate the involvement of Benazir and Zardari in
      corruption totalling more than $1 billion, and the couple was ordered
      to pay millions of dollars back to the Pakistani government. Benazir
      asserted that all the charges were politically motivated.

      The Bhutto family were part of the old feudal elite in Sindh.

      I overlapped with Benazir's younger sister Sunny (Sanam) when we were
      undergraduate students at Harvard.

      One of my friends was a singer in a rock band and good friends with
      Sunny's boyfriend Joe Incagnoli. I became acquainted with Sunny. (I am
      astounded that there was actually serious discussion for a time about
      bringing Sunny back to Pakistan to run the PPP.)

      From personal acquaintance and from reading about the Bhuttos, I
      simply do not have the impression of much genuine commitment of the
      part of the Bhutto family to democratization, but I never had any
      acquaintance with her brothers Shahnawaz or Mir Murtaza. Mir
      Murtaza's daughter Fatima seems to be exceptional in her progressive
      politics.

      While the problem of Zionist and extremist ethnic Ashkenazi American
      domination of academic discourse in important areas of politics and
      foreign policy constitutes a serious threat to the USA by imposing a
      sort of Gramscian hegemonic blocking on American political debate, in
      many regards the issue is less immediate and far more subtle than the
      dangers that Pakistan faces. Yet, Fatima, who is a Columbia alumna,
      was willing to take the time to investigate the conflict over Nadia
      Abu el Haj's tenure application at Columbia and to sign the web
      petition in support of Nadia Abu el Haj. (See Jacob Lassner and Nadia
      Abu el Haj, Nadia Abu el Haj and the Truth about the Wizard of Oz, and
      Long Version of Tenure Wars.)

      I also have to give Sunny credit for hanging out with a Boston townie,
      who was accepted at Harvard and also was trying to make it on the
      Boston rock scene.