We all are prisoners now

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      We all are prisoners now
      By Paul Craig Roberts
      Dec 28, 2007, 00:20
      http://onlinejournal.com:80/artman/publish/article_2783.shtml

      "They're locking them up today
      They're throwing away the key
      I wonder who it'll be tomorrow, you or me?"
      The Red Telephone (LOVE, 1967)

      At Christmas time it has been my habit to write a
      column in remembrance of the many innocent people in prisons whose
      lives have been stolen by the US criminal justice [sic] system that is
      as inhumane as it is indifferent to justice. Usually I retell the
      cases of William Strong and Christophe Gaynor, two men framed in the
      Commonwwealth of Virginia by prosecutors and judges as wicked and
      corrupt as any who served Hitler or Stalin.

      This year is different. All Americans are now
      imprisoned in a world of lies and deception created by the Bush Regime
      and the two complicit parties of Congress, by federal judges too timid
      or ignorant to recognize a rogue regime running roughshod over the
      Constitution, by a bought and paid for media that serves as
      propagandists for a regime of war criminals, and by a public who have
      forsaken their Founding Fathers.

      Americans are also imprisoned by fear, a false fear
      created by the hoax of "terrorism." It has turned out that headline
      terrorist events since 9/11 have been orchestrated by the US
      government. For example, the alleged terrorist plot to blow up
      Chicago's Sears Tower was the brainchild of a FBI agent who searched
      out a few disaffected people to give lip service to the plot devised
      by the FBI agent. He arrested his victims, whose trial ended in
      acquittal and mistrial.

      Many Europeans regard 9/11 itself as an orchestrated
      event. Former cabinet members of the British, Canadian and German
      governments and the chief of staff of the Russian Army have publicly
      expressed their doubts about the official 9/11 story. Recently, a
      former president of Italy, Francesco Cossiga, said in an interview
      with the newspaper, Corriere della Sera [ Osama-Berlusconi, November
      30, 2007,] that "democratic elements in America and Europe, with the
      Italian center-left in the forefront, now know that the 9/11 attack
      was planned and executed by the American CIA and Mossad in order to
      blame the Arab countries, and to persuade the Western powers to
      undertake military action both in Iraq and Afghanistan."

      It is unclear whether Cossiga was being sarcastic
      about the opinion of skeptics or merely reporting what people think. I
      have written to him asking for clarification and will report any reply
      that I receive. Apparently, the Italian media has not offered a
      clarification.

      Cossiga's statement has not been reported by a US
      newspaper or TV channel. Raising doubts among Americans about the
      government is not a strong point of the corporate media. Americans
      live in a world of propaganda designed to secure their acquiescence to
      war crimes, torture, searches and police state measures, military
      aggression, hegemony and oppression, while portraying Americans (and
      Israelis) as the salt of the earth who are threatened by Muslims who
      hate their "freedom and democracy."

      Americans cling to this "truth" while the Bush regime
      and a complicit Congress destroy the Bill of Rights and engineer the
      theft of elections.

      Freedom and democracy in America have been reduced to
      no-fly lists, spying without warrants, arrests without warrants or
      evidence, permanent detention despite the constitutional protection of
      habeas corpus, torture despite the prohibition against
      self-incrimination -- the list goes on and on. [See Bill of Rights
      Under Bush: A Timeline]

      In today's fearful America, a US senator, whose elder
      brothers were (1) a military hero killed in action, (2) a president of
      the United States assassinated in office, (3) an attorney general of
      the United States and likely president except he was assassinated like
      his brother, can find himself on the no-fly list. Present and former
      high government officials, with top secret security clearances, cannot
      fly with a tube of toothpaste or a bottle of water despite the absence
      of any evidence that extreme measures imposed by "airport security"
      makes flying safer. [ No proof airport security makes flying
      safer:study, Reuters, December 20, 2007]

      Elderly American citizens with walkers and young
      mothers with children are meticulously searched because US Homeland
      Security cannot tell the difference between an American citizen and a
      terrorist.

      All Americans should note the ominous implications of
      the inability of Homeland Security to distinguish an American citizen
      from a terrorist.

      When airport security cannot differentiate a US Marine
      general who is a recipient of the Medal of Honor from a terrorist ,
      Americans have all the information they need to know.

      Any and every American can be arrested by
      unaccountable authority, held indefinitely without charges and
      tortured until he or she can no longer stand the abuse and confesses.

      This predicament, which can now befall any American,
      is our reward for our stupidity, our indifference, our gullibility,
      and our lack of compassion for anyone but ourselves.

      Some Americans have begun to comprehend the tremendous
      financial costs of the "war on terror." But few understand the cost to
      American liberty. Last October a Democrat-sponsored bill, "Prevention
      of Violent Radicalism and Homegrown Terrorism," passed the House of
      Representatives 404 to 6.

      Only six members of the House voted against tyrannical
      legislation that would destroy freedom of speech and freedom of
      assembly and that would mandate 18 months of congressional hearings to
      discover Americans with "extreme" views who could be preemptively
      arrested.

      What better indication that the US Constitution has
      lost its authority when elected representatives closest to the people
      pass a bill that permits the Bill of Rights to be overturned by the
      subjective opinion of members of an "Extremist Belief Commission" and
      Homeland Security bureaucrats? Clearly, Americans face no greater
      threat than the government in Washington.

      Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the
      Treasury in the Reagan Administration. He is the author of Supply-Side
      Revolution : An Insider's Account of Policymaking in Washington;
      Alienation and the Soviet Economy and Meltdown: Inside the Soviet
      Economy, and is the co-author with Lawrence M. Stratton of The Tyranny
      of Good Intentions : How Prosecutors and Bureaucrats Are Trampling the
      Constitution in the Name of Justice . Click here for Peter Brimelow's
      Forbes Magazine interview with Roberts about the recent epidemic of
      prosecutorial misconduct.