Charley Reese: Iraq is Not Our Country

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2007
      A Few Reminders: Iraq is Not Our Country
      Charley Reese
      http://www.lewrockwell.com/reese/reese358.html

      A few reminders: Iraq is not our country. Our invasion and occupation
      are illegal, being in violation of both international law and our own
      traditions. We were lied into war. We are still being lied to. Both
      the Bush administration and the Democrats intend to maintain American
      troops in Iraq indefinitely.

      The catchy little phrase "If you break it, you own it" might apply to
      unpurchased merchandise, but it definitely does not apply to
      nation-states. You don't gain title to your neighbor's house just
      because you blow it up. We definitely broke Iraq, but that only gives
      us the burden of sin. It does not entitle us to the country.

      It's easy to forget that when you listen to American politicians in
      both parties talk about what Iraq has to do or ought to do or should
      do. The Iraqi government does not have to do anything we tell it, and
      so far it hasn't, despite promises to the contrary.

      The phrase now being heard most often around Baghdad is "Iraq is
      finished." That's according to Pepe Escobar, a correspondent for Asia
      Times Online. I urgently recommend his piece "Baghdad: Up Close and
      Personal." He and two Iraqi journalists toured the "Red Zone," which
      is all of Baghdad except the heavily fortified Green Zone. Compare
      what he saw and heard with what you hear from the talking heads in
      Washington.

      And, by the way, they traveled in a plain car without armored
      vehicles, troops and helicopters hovering overhead, which is how
      American big shots travel. They got shot at and arrested but otherwise
      survived.

      We need to get out of Iraq right now. This folly has already cost us
      3,300 American lives, $500 billion in tax money, 30,000 wounded, and
      there is not so much as a faint glow at the end of the tunnel.

      The reason I say both Democrats and Republicans intend a long-term
      military presence is because that's what they say if you listen
      closely. The so-called withdrawal deadline of the Democrats stipulates
      some troops left in country. To quell an insurgency, if you can do it
      at all, usually requires about 10 years.

      You can see by the casualty figures – overwhelmingly Iraqi – that we
      are not doing the main fighting. We lose people daily, but so far in
      the single digits. And we will go on losing people no matter what
      tactics we employ as long as we stay there while the Iraqis fight a
      civil war. We can, with our sick devotion to legalese, say it is not
      an occupation, but the Iraqis call it an occupation, and they don't
      like it worth a toot.

      When American politicians say if we leave, there will be chaos, that's
      a joke. There is chaos there now. Another joke is that we can
      democratize the Middle East. Still another joke is the belief that we
      can deal with terrorism without solving the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

      If I thought the people in Washington were smart enough, I'd say we
      intended to destroy the country and leave it in the wreck it is. I
      don't think they're that smart, though. I think they really believed
      we could waltz in, topple Saddam Hussein and waltz out. That's what
      happens when you let a bunch of pointy-headed intellectuals from
      universities and think tanks set policy. Only people who have worn
      muddy boots and heard the sounds of gunfire should be consulted on the
      issues of war and peace. Such people are darned scarce in Washington
      these days, even at the Pentagon.

      The present policy sins daily against the Iraqi people, wastes the
      lives of American military people, adds to the financial burden of
      future generations and demonstrates to the world that we are a nation
      led by fools.