JACK ABRAMOFF AS A KID

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2007
      JACK ABRAMOFF AS A KID
      http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/

      RICHARD SILVERSTEIN - If only Jack Abramoff had known the kid he beat
      up in high school was going to win a Pulitzer Prize and "out" him on
      This American Life. . . The victim in this case was Jonathan Gold, who
      won the Prize for his amazing food writing for the L.A. Times and L.A.
      Weekly. . . Gold [recounts] his humiliation at Abramoff's hands and
      the latter's pleasure in physical intimidation of his victims. . . The
      child was father to the man:

      Ira Glass: Jonathan remembers him [Abramoff] as a glad-hander, someone
      who has lots of friends.

      Gold: A jock, he hung out in the weight room. He squatted something
      over 500 lbs. when he was in high school. . . He was the sort of
      person who would walk across the street to be unpleasant to somebody
      or in my most notable instance I was walking down the hall to history
      class and he hip-checked me-I was carrying my cello-and I went sailing
      down the stairs with my cello. You'd be surprised how many times a
      cello and its case can bounce. It was a lot of money in repairs.

      He was laughing about it to his friends. I suspect he forgot about it
      five minutes later. I didn't. . .