Harvard Expels Star Student for Citing "Holocaust Denier"

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      Forget about the Israel Lobby, its the Jewish Lobby stupid!! To those who like to say criticize Zionists not Jews, I say criticize THIS!!! - Hesham Tillawi

      Harvard law school expels star student for "holocaust denial"

      CAMBRIDGE, Mass (AP) What began as a minor citation in a scholarly
      work ended up causing Noor Aljiem to be expelled from Harvard Law
      School. Aljiem, a third-year student majoring in criminal law,
      submitted a paper that examined Nazi travesties of criminal law, and
      received an `A' grade. She was set to graduate Summa Cum Laude at the
      end of this semester, but the university law school was forced to
      reconsider her status when criminal law professor Alan Dershowitz
      criticized Njiem's scholarship.

      "She could have used any number of sources for her paper," Dershowitz'
      explained, "but for some reason, one of her citations mentioned the
      book Did Six Million Really Die? by imprisoned Holocaust denier Ernst
      Zundel."

      "I admit there were misunderstandings," Njiem says. "But I did not
      actually quote the book. I quoted a German legal reference that
      happened to be cited in the book. Also, the citation was only one of
      three hundred miscellaneous citations in my paper, and I was commended
      for the thoroughness of my research. Furthermore the author of Did Six
      Million Really Die? was not Ernst Zundel, but Richard Verrall, whose
      pen name was Richard Harwood. Zundel merely helped Harwood to get the
      book published."

      Saul Rubin, Dean of Harvard Law School, submitted the matter to an
      academic review board. "The German legal reference was obscure, and
      Ms. Njiem could have citied it directly, or through some other work,"
      Rubin says. "That fact that her paper's bibliography mentioned
      Zundel's Did Six Million Really Die? is indicative of carelessness or
      maliciousness. Either way, we were forced to take Ms. Aljiem's status
      under advisement."

      A series of further misunderstandings ensued, at the end of which the
      review board ruled against Najiem. Harvard Law School was forced to
      revoke her academic status, which had the effect of expelling her.

      "Zundel's book has been outlawed in Canada, Australia, New Zealand,
      Israel, and most of mainland Europe," Dershowitz explains. "To take a
      hate-filled reference that has been outlawed in so many nations, and
      cite it in a scholarly work, strikes me as more than a coincidence."

      Alhiem, who is a Muslim, asked the law school if it would expel a
      student for citing Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, which has been
      outlawed in most Muslim nations.

      "They told me they would not, because Rushdie's book does not deny the
      Holocaust. They also objected to my use of a book that has been banned
      in several countries. My position is that many banned books turn out
      later to be literary classics. The Soviet Union banned Orwell's novel
      1984. England banned Orwell's Animal Farm, plus Adam Smith's The
      Wealth of Nations. America banned Harriet Beecher Stowe's anti-slavery
      book Uncle Tom's Cabin. Iran banned Vladimir Nabokov's novel Lolita.
      Is America the same as the Islamofascists?"

      "That's a clever argument," Dershowitz says, "but none of those books
      killed six million people. Moreover, a book like Rushdies' Satanic
      Verses merely questions theology and belief, while Zundel's book is a
      hate-filled assault on well-documented truth."

      Njiem submitted a formal apology, and offered to rewrite the paper
      without the citation, but dean Saul Rubin said the review board's
      decision was final, and was out of his hands.

      "I can see the board's point," Rubin explains. "When a person commits
      a robbery, do we excuse her merely because she says she's sorry? As an
      aspiring criminal attorney, Ms. Njiem surely realizes that all of us
      must take personal responsibility for our actions."

      After her expulsion, Njiem applied to other law schools in the hope of
      finishing her education, but she says they all rejected her because of
      the incident at Harvard.

      "Now I have no way to pay back my school loans. Harvard wants to make
      an example of me. They also want to separate Muslims from the rest of
      American society by creating the illusion that only Muslims deserve to
      be attacked. In reality, many people are attacked; not just Muslims."

      "That's a typical blame-the-victim response," Dershowitz says.
      "Whenever hate is exposed, its perpetrators claim that their people
      are singled out as a group for unfair treatment. This is only my
      opinion, but it seems to me that all Muslims over-generalize,
      especially about Jews. Also, it is absurd for Ms. Njiem to claim that
      only Muslims are held accountable. Is Zundel, the book's author, a
      Muslim? We see this kind of illogic and selective memory all the time.
      Frankly, I find it hypocritical."

      Aljiem plans to sue the university law school to reinstate her
      academic status. Representing the law school will be a team led Alan
      Dershowitz, who was not part of the review board.