White Woman Dies Handcuffed at Airport

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      Woman arrested at airport later found dead
      Passenger was related to New York City official
      Probe starts into woman's airport death

      Investigators are examining the death of a
      woman in police custody at Phoenix's main airport
      Peter Alexander - NBC
      Oct. 1, 2007
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21054442/ - NBC News video

      NEW YORK - A traveler who may have "accidentally choked herself to
      death" while handcuffed in an airport holding cell was a "wonderful"
      woman and mother, according to New York City's public advocate, who is
      her relative.

      Carol Anne Gotbaum, 45, was arrested Friday at Sky Harbor
      International Airport in Phoenix after she became irate when gate
      crews refused to let her board a flight for which she was late,
      officials said.

      "She was a wonderful mother; she was sweet and kind and loving," said
      public advocate Betsy Gotbaum, the woman's stepmother-in-law. "It's
      obviously very, very difficult for us; we are dealing with it as best
      we can. My No. 1 focus is those children and my stepson."

      She also pleaded with the press for privacy.

      The events that led to Gotbaum's death began when she became irate
      over not being allowed on a US Airways flight, though she was rebooked
      on a later flight, officials said.

      Officers handcuffed her and took her to the holding room, where she
      kept screaming, authorities said. They checked on her when she became
      quiet and found her unresponsive, said Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill.

      It appears Gotbaum may have tried to get out of her handcuffs, which
      ended up around her neck, Hill said. A medical examiner will determine
      the cause of death.

      Neither a stun gun nor pepper spray was used on the woman, authorities
      said.

      The New York City public advocate helps solve residents' problems with
      government and acts as a watchdog over city agencies.