Rev. Ted Pike: TORTURE IN ISRAELI PRISONS

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      Satanic torture of Palestinians by Israel
      By Rev. Ted Pike
      8-29-7
      http://www.rense.com/general78/tort.htm

      Today, more than 8,000 Palestinians are locked in Israel's prisons,
      most without due process. For the majority, their crime is resisting a
      nation that violently stole 90 percent of their parents' and
      grandparents' land and possessions and expelled them to wretched
      detention camps in Gaza, the West Bank, and Lebanon. (See,
      <http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/mideaststrifeexplanation.html>The
      Simple Explanation for Mid-East Strife) These sons and grandsons were
      imprisoned for crimes ranging from stone-throwing at Israeli tanks to
      violent terrorist activity. As prisoners, they have virtually no
      rights. Many are held without charge or trial. They can be legally
      tortured without restraint.

      Since at least 1967, the government of Israel has vehemently denied
      that it uses torture, and Israel signed the 1987 Landau Agreement
      banning most forms of torture. 1 But in 1995 a secret government
      report (not released until 2000) admitted Israel does torture. 2 In
      1999 Israel's Supreme Court ruled that torture can be employed as a
      "necessity" in exceptional cases when officers have reason to believe
      they can prevent a crime. This has created a loophole, exempting
      interrogators/torturers from punishment as long as they claim they
      tortured in the national interest. 3

      Since every Palestinian prisoner may be viewed as possessing
      information valuable to preventing terrorist attacks, virtually all
      have been tortured. The Palestine Monitor
      (<http://www.palestinemonitor.org/>www.palestinemonitor.org) reports
      that since 1987 the Israeli Security Agency has tortured at least 850
      Palestinians a year during interrogations. Since the Supreme Court
      ruling in 1999, according to the Israeli human rights organization
      B'Tselm, 85 percent of Palestinian prisoners are still subjected to
      torture. The Monitor asserts that during the first Intifada
      (1987-1993), Israeli security "interrogated approximately 23,000
      Palestinians." The Public Committee Against Torture (PCAT) estimates
      that almost all suffered some torture during interrogation. 4

      The Palestine Monitor says that methods of interrogation and torture
      frequently used by Israeli security service include:

      . Tying up detainees in painful positions for hours or days.

      . Containment in tiny cramped spaces (for days, prisoners have been
      stuffed in boxes about 2 feet square and 5 feet high, often with
      spiked floors).

      . Prolonged beatings.

      . Enclosing the detainee's head in a sack (often soaked with urine
      and feces).

      . Violent "shaking" (Physicians for Human Rights says this has caused
      brain damage, even death). 5

      . Bending body in extremely painful positions.

      . Prolonged exposure to extreme cold or heat.

      . Sexual, verbal, and psychological abuse.

      . Threats against the individual's life or family members' lives.

      . Playing extremely loud music.

      . Choking and pulling out hair (prisoners have been forced to swallow
      hair).

      . Intentional tightening of handcuffs (According to Amnesty
      International, the handcuffs used by the Israeli Security forces are
      in themselves a form of torture, "the plastic handcuffs tighten on the
      detainee's wrist, causing intense pain; former detainees describe
      their wrists becoming blue as a result of their tightening and adult
      men screaming with pain as they begged to be taken off."

      . Putting head of prisoner in toilet bowl. 6

      Some prisoners are guilty of terrorist acts, including attempted
      suicide bombings. As victims of injustice, they have also committed
      injustice. Yet international law forbids torturing prisoners, military
      or civilian, even to obtain vital information. The Old Testament,
      ostensibly respected by Israel's government, also gives no sanction to
      torture, even of Israel's bitterest enemies. The implicit message of
      the Old Testament is that torture is barbaric, unthinkable among God's
      chosen people. 7

      ISRAELIS CRITICIZE TORTURE

      For five months in 1977, the London Sunday Times investigative team
      worked inside the West Bank, Gaza, and surrounding areas to
      investigate evidence of torture. The team recorded 110,000 words of
      testimony and found proof of torture "'through the ten years of
      Israeli occupation since 1967'." 8

      The Times presented the cases of 44 tortured Palestinians. Some of
      these cases are included in three chapters of the Encyclopedia of the
      Palestine Problem, p. 593-672. 9 They confirm that the following forms
      of torture have existed in Israel's prison system since 1967.

      Prisoners were:

      . hung by their wrists for long periods.

      . beaten extensively, over periods of days and months.

      . struck in the genitals, and testicles twisted, squeezed, and
      crushed; testicles compressed around an iron ball placed between them.

      . sexually abused - sometimes through "anal assaults," including
      homosexual rape and pushing of bottles up rectums.

      . attacked by dogs.

      . beaten on soles of feet.

      . hosed with icy water, forced to sit in blazing sun for hours.

      . penetrated in the penis with a ballpoint pen; metal rods up
      urethra, rupturing it.

      . exposed, blindfolded, to the wrath of a raging public, pelted with
      rocks and bottles at Israeli football games.

      . forced to drink urine and allow soldiers to urinate in their mouth.

      . forced to grasp barbed wire and endure electric shock, having
      electrodes attached to various parts of the body and enduring shocks
      so powerful they lift the victim off the ground; forced to stand in
      electrically charged water.

      . hung in crucified position for up to four days in the scorching sun.

      . hung by feet and used as punching bags for boxers.

      . forced to sit for up to a week with hands over head.

      . forced to "run the gauntlet" of beatings by 8 to 10 soldiers.

      . laid on the floor and jumped on by guards.

      . dragged by rope around neck.

      . beaten and tortured in front of family members, commanded to rape
      their daughters.

      . crushed under bulldozers.

      . blindfolded and hung from helicopter.

      . In addition, they had:

      . their teeth torn out with pliers; false teeth were smashed.

      . shards of glass pushed deeply into nostrils.

      . a tube pushed up nose with salt water forced into stomach; batons
      were jammed in mouth, rupturing throat.

      . ribs, bones, and teeth deliberately broken.

      RED CROSS DESCRIBES TORTURE

      In Prisoners of Israel, Israeli civil libertarians Ralph Schoenman and
      Mya Shone confirm:

      the pattern of torture repeated by the Sunday Times is similar to that
      found in the hundreds of testimonies published by Israeli lawyers,
      Felicia Langer and Lea Tsemel, by Palestinian lawyer Walid Fahoum, as
      the accounts we have heard from former prisoners.

      this pattern is documented in the West Bank as early as 1968, one year
      after the occupation began. Although the International Red Cross does
      not make public declarations, it had prepared in 1968 a finding of
      torture. Its "Report on the Nablus Prison" concludes:

      "A number of detainees have undergone torture during interrogation by
      the military police. According to the evidence, the torture took the
      following forms:

      1. Suspension of the detainees by the hands and the simultaneous
      traction of his other members for hours at a time until he loses
      consciousness.

      2. Burns with cigarette stubs.

      3. Blows with rods on the genitals.

      4. Tying up and blindfolding for days.

      5. Bites by dogs.

      6. Electric shocks at the temples, the mouth, the chest and testicles." 10

      A report by Amnesty International of August 9, 1982 estimated the
      number of detainees in the large prison camp of Ansar at 10,000.
      According to the Israeli League for Human and Civil Rights, the total
      number of prisoners amounted to approximately 15,000, including
      children and elderly persons"

      As a result, the Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem tells us "there
      are many thousands of Palestinians and Lebanese who are disabled as a
      result of long years of imprisonment and torture." (p. 599)

      WOMEN DON'T ESCAPE TORTURE

      After 1967, the number of women incarcerated and tortured grew
      dramatically.

      One such prisoner, Rasmiya Odeh, says: "The first time they stripped
      me and threw me on the floor, the room was full of men -- civilians
      and soldiers. They laughed at my nakedness and kicked me, beat me with
      sticks, punched me all over, especially on the breasts; my body was
      covered with bruises. Then they got a wooden stick, not a smooth one,
      and pushed it into me to break the hymen. They brought my father and
      fiancé to see me. I lost consciousness

      One time, an interrogator, Abu-Hani, sat me on a chair and sat himself
      opposite. He put his legs on the chair on either side of me and boxed
      me on the ears until I couldn't hear anymore and brought in my father
      and told him to strip and make love to me. "She isn't your daughter,
      she's your wife, go on, sleep with her." My father screamed and they
      beat him till he lost consciousness. Blood was pouring from my mouth
      and nose and I couldn't hear anymore. They dragged him unconscious
      from the room. Another time, they stripped me and took me to a room
      where men were suspended from the ceiling. They handcuffed me to the
      hooks in the ceiling -- it was a pulley system which could be raised
      and lowered- and then chained my feet to the ground, wide apart, and
      raised me so only the tips of my toes touched the ground. They said
      they had been going to rape me, but I was too dirty for them and they
      would instead get some prisoners who hadn't seen a woman for a long
      time." 11

      The Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem says, "The tortures
      recounted in this chapter [such as the above] have been duplicated en
      masse on thousands of Palestinian women detainees of all ages." (p. 671)

      Isn't it significant that a number of Israeli torture experts
      instructed US interrogators at the US military base of Abu Ghraib in
      Iraq several years ago? They taught American soldiers the same torture
      techniques used in Israeli prisons. 12 It is also chilling that the
      Bush administration, allowing "coercion" torture of Muslim prisoners
      at Guantanamo, uses virtually the same evasive language as Israel.
      Bill Quigley, professor of law at Loyola University in New Orleans,
      says 44 detainees in Iraq and Afghanistan have died in U.S. captivity,
      having been hooded, strangled, gagged, or beaten with blunt objects. 13

      All civil liberties/humanitarian groups that monitor Israeli torture
      indicate that the Israeli government at every level, from the premier
      and Shin Bet (equivalent to our FBI) down to the military police,
      colludes with torture. As a result, Ha'aretz says, "It is no surprise
      that no Shin Bet interrogators have been found guilty of torturing a
      suspect" 14

      Why Should We Care?

      In Nazi Germany, Hitler's SS tortured people "inferior" to the "master
      race." Similarly, Israel's torture of Palestinians is fueled by
      Talmudic teachings which assert that Gentiles are inferior to the
      "chosen race" Jews. (See,
      <http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/talmudscalpel.html>The Talmud:
      Scalpel that Bleeds the Mideast)

      Should torture in Israeli prisons concern us as Americans? What about
      the millions of evangelical Christians who staunchly support Israel?

      The Bible says someday Christians will also be incarcerated in Israeli
      prisons. Describing the events of the last days before His second
      coming, Christ said, "They will lay their hands on you and will
      persecute you, delivering you to the synagogues and prisons" (Luke
      21:12) During this future worldwide Jewish persecution of Christians,
      the same penal hellholes that now muffle the screams of thousands of
      tortured Palestinians will also cage Christians.

      Why would Israel imprison Christians?

      For anti-Christian Jewish activists, there is no greater criminal in
      history than Jesus Christ. Such Jews believe that, by vilifying the
      Pharisees (modern Judaism's greatest guiding lights), Jesus began an
      evil trend of suspicion toward Judaism, a movement that New Testament
      writers and later church fathers magnified through "anti-Semitic"
      depiction of Jews as "Christ killers." Many Jews believe that
      anti-Semitism comes from Christianity; they believe the New Testament
      "blood charge" that Jews had Christ crucified spawned nearly 2000
      years of living hell for the Jewish people, culminating in the
      Holocaust. (See, <http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/ntantisemitic.html>
      ADL's Foxman: New Testament is Anti-Semitic)

      When Sarah Silverman in her film Jesus is Magic said, "I hope the Jews
      did kill Christ. I'd f---ing do it again in a second," she expressed a
      historic Jewish point of view: If Jesus had been smothered in His
      cradle, a world of Jewish suffering would have been avoided. Activist
      Jews of ADL/B'nai B'rith consider the accusation that the Jews had
      Christ murdered so evil they have included it as one of the 14
      criteria of anti-Semitism published by their Office of Global
      Anti-Semitism in the US State Department. (See,
      <http://www.truthtellers.org/alerts/gestapobeingcreated.html>Global
      Hate Crimes Gestapo Being Created) Such "anti-Semitism" is now a hate
      crime punishable by the B'nai B'rith hate laws in Canada with huge
      fines and even prison. 15

      Already, Jewish activists in high places can deport and imprison those
      who offend them. At the insistence of B'nai B'rith International,
      historians and Holocaust reductionists Ernst Zundel and Germar Rudolph
      were extradited from Canada and America and imprisoned in Germany for
      violating Germany's B'nai B'rith-inspired "anti-hate" laws.

      The Knesset can now demand from any nation extradition of those who
      publicly question the accuracy of the six-million figure of the
      Holocaust. 16 If nations accept this request and deport citizens to
      Israel, such victims may be tried there for "crimes against the Jewish
      people" and sent to Israeli prisons where they may be tortured
      alongside Palestinians.

      The Knesset is also deliberating legislation that would make it a
      federal crime for visiting evangelicals, and even resident Jewish
      Christians, to witness publicly for Christ in Israel. 17 Penalty: a
      year in an Israeli prison, again possibly facing the same tortures
      meted to Palestinians. In the book of Acts, Christians who publicly
      witnessed for Christ in the streets of Jerusalem faced imprisonment
      and possible flogging (torture). The same is becoming true today.

      Ultimately, Christians may be "delivered" from the nations to Israel
      for the "crime" of supporting those who caused the Holocaust -- Jesus
      and the New Testament writers.

      Time for Christians to Suffer

      Today, few evangelical Christians have sympathy for Arab suffering.
      "Israel first" evangelicals view Palestinians as Satanically driven
      opponents to God's chosen people, Israel. They consider Israel the
      apple of His eye, blessed and intimately guided from above, especially
      in military victories. One pastor frankly told me God is really
      interested only in the Jews. "He's pretty much written off the whole
      Arab world." Reflecting this mentality, most evangelicals pledge
      themselves to unconditionally support Israel.

      Yet when Christ's words are fulfilled and the church suffers
      imprisonment and torture at the hands of Jewish leaders, a few
      believers will suffer with a clear conscience. They did not assist,
      but resisted, the rise of the anti-Christ system that now oppresses
      them. They had compassion on its first victims, the Palestinians, as
      would the gentle Jesus.

      Most imprisoned evangelicals will not have this consolation. They will
      remember how they and their fathers blindly encouraged the ascent of
      the Great Harlot, Israel, and stopped their ears from hearing the
      cries of her victims.

      The Palestinians have suffered without mercy or justice from most
      evangelicals for at least 60 years. Someday it will be the turn of
      evangelicals to scream from undreamed of tortures in Israeli prisons
      and also be unheard by a hostile and indifferent world.

      Endnotes:

      1. In his 50-page report, the UN special investigator on torture,
      Nigel Rodley said Israel told him, "that its law forbade all forms of
      torture or maltreatment and it was in full conformity with the 1987
      Convention Against Torture which it has ratified." Yet, he goes on to
      relate how his investigations confirmed that practices amounting to
      torture, such as sleep deprivation, hooding, and violent shaking, were
      going on at the same time. Reuters, March 23, 1997, "UN Investigator
      Says Israel Tortures Palestinians."

      2. "Israel Admits Torture,"
      <http://www.news.bbc.co.uk/>www.news.bbc.co.uk,
      Feb. 9, 2000.

      3. Human Rights Watch, <http://www.hrw.org/>www.hrw.org, "Memorandum:
      Israel's Second Periodic Report to the Committee Against Torture," May
      1998.

      4. <http://www.palestinemonitor.org/>www.palestinemonitor.org, Fact
      Sheet of Torture of Palestinians, Aug. 17, 2007. The Monitor says,
      "According to Amnesty International, since 2001, Israeli authorities
      '.have actually continued and intensified implementation of a policy
      of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, and collective
      punishment against Palestinians'"

      5. "Israel and the Occupied Territories: Shaking as a Form of Torture.
      Death in Custody of Abdal Al-Samad Harizat. A Medicological Report by
      Physicians for Human Rights, October 1995,"
      http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/library/documents/reports/israel-and-the-occupied.pdf.

      6. <http://www.palestinemonitor.org/>www.palestinemonitor.org, Fact
      Sheet of Torture of Palestinians, Aug. 17, 2007.

      7. The altruism of the Old Testament toward one's vanquished enemies
      is revealed in II Kings 6:22: "Would you kill those you have taken
      captive? Set bread and water before them that they may eat and drink
      and return." As a result of Israel's kindness to a captured invading
      foe, "marauding bands of Arameans did not come again into the land of
      Israel."

      8. Schoenman and Shone, Prisoners of Israel, Santa Barbara, CA,
      Veritas Press, 1984, p.13.

      9. Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem, Intercontinental Books,
      Nov. 1991. Edited by Christian Palestinian lawyer and diplomat Dr.
      Issa Nakhleh, this 2-volume work is available at most university
      libraries.

      10. Prisoners of Israel, p. 594.

      11. Encyclopedia of the Palestine Problem, p. 646.

      12. Columnist Wayne Madsen writes, "According to a political appointee
      within the Bush administration and U.S. intelligence sources, the
      interrogators at Abu Ghraib included a number of Arabic-speaking
      Israelis who also helped U.S. interrogators develop the 'R21'
      (resistance to interrogation) techniques. Many of the torture methods
      were developed by the Israelis over many years of interrogating Arab
      prisoners in the occupied West Bank and in Israel itself."
      <http://www.counterpunch.org/>www.counterpunch.org, "The Israeli
      Torture Template: Rape, Feces and Urine," August 17, 2007.

      13. "Priests Expose Secret Cycle of U.S. Torture," Brenda Norrell,
      <http://www.counterpunch.org/>www.counterpunch.org, Aug. 13, 2007.

      14. <http://www.haaretz.com/>www.haaretz.com, "Torture in Israel Has
      Again Become Routine," Aug. 18, 2003. The Palestine Committee against
      Torture concludes, ".not a single GSS interrogator has been brought to
      trial since 1994," PCAP, Sept. 2004, cited by the Palestinian Monitor.

      15. I asked a friend in Toronto what would happen if he publicly
      stated that the Jews had Christ killed. "Ted," he replied, "I'd be
      playing with fire. The police might come and arrest me."

      16. On June 20, 2004 the Jerusalem Post reported that Israel's Knesset
      empowered the State of Israel to criminalize anyone in the world who
      publicly reduces the six-million figure. The government is now
      authorized to request extradition to Israel of such alleged "hate
      criminals" from any nation. Israel can also seize, prosecute, and
      imprison them should they set foot in Israel.

      17. Since 1977, Israel's anti-missionary law has decreed 5 years in
      prison for any non-Jew who attempts to convert a Jew from his
      religion, making use of a material enticement (tract, cup of coffee,
      etc.). This law has not been strictly enforced out of fear of losing
      evangelical favor and tourist dollars. Israeli law also requires a
      6-month prison term for anyone, Gentile or Jew, encouraging conversion
      of a Jewish minor. This spring, the Shas party (equal in votes to
      Likud) proposed that attempts to convert a Jew of any age in Israel
      should be punished by 1 year in prison. "Shas Seeks Harsher Penalties
      for Missionaries," Mar. 14, 2007,
      http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3376215,00.html.