Sudanese Ambassador Speaks to US

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 1:07 PM
      Sudanese Ambassador to U.S.:
      Beware 'Hidden Agenda' Behind Sanctions
      by Marcia Merry Baker and Doug DeGroot
      June 15, 2007
      Executive Intelligence Review

      The Ambassador to the United States from Sudan, John
      Ukec Lueth Ukec, is speaking out in press briefings
      and interviews, against the new sanctions imposed on
      his nation on May 29 by President Bush. Ukec described
      the harm of the unilateral U.S. economic sanctions at
      a National Press Club event May 30, and the duplicity
      involved in the United States attacking a nation
      already on the road to peaceful solutions. Then on
      June 2, he participated in an hour-long, live LaRouche
      Show radio discussion (larouchepub.com), giving
      in-depth background. Ukec focussed on the impact and
      "hidden agenda" involved in the geopolitical
      contrivance of the Darfur "single issue," being
      whipped up since 2003 as a bludgeon against Sudan, and
      against the principle of sovereignty of nations
      throughout Africa. What's required instead, he said,
      are resources for economic development. Appearing with
      him on The LaRouche Show were Lawrence Freeman (EIR
      Africa Bureau), Paul Mourino (LaRouche Youth Movement,
      Washington, D.C. Bureau), and host Marcia Merry Baker
      (EIR Economics Director).

      The new sanctions announced by Bush involve financial
      actions against 31 companies doing business in Sudan
      (see box), and against three Sudanese individuals—two
      Cabinet officials and one of the anti-government
      rebels. Bush gave as his reason, acting against the
      "genocide" in Sudan. The President further called for
      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to draw up a
      resolution for United Nations sanctions against Sudan,
      including military action.

      Within hours, Britain and France expressed support for
      Bush's actions. France's new Sarkozy government
      further called for military intervention in Chad, in
      the name of opening "humanitarian corridors" from Chad
      into Darfur, to be imposed by either unilateral French
      forces, or European Union troops. Government officials
      in Chad rejected the "offer." Opposition to the U.S.
      sanctions has been forthcoming from Russia, China, and
      South Africa.

      The following points and quotations are taken from the
      June 2 discussion with Ambassador Ukec on The LaRouche
      Show. Sudan, home to 39.4 million people, has the
      largest area of any nation in Africa, with 8% of the
      continental land area.
      Sanctions Are 'A Death Sentence'

      Ambassador Ukec described how the sanctions affect the
      most basic aspects of life in Sudan, especially given
      the numbers of displaced persons, seeking to return to
      their homes.

      "Those sanctions affect everything in my country. It
      actually destroys the peace which was built by the
      rest of the world, including us. It destroys the
      peace, because peace needs constructive development,
      and when you curtail the economic system of a
      country—let me give you one example. There is a large
      number of people displaced, due to the fighting in
      Darfur; there is a large number of southern Sudanese
      who have been in all the surrounding countries. Nine
      countries surround Sudan, these are our neighbors, and
      there were refugees in those countries for 10, 20
      years. They are flocking back to Sudan. Where do they
      get food?

      "Our most important food—staple food—-is sorghum,
      grown in the eastern Sudan, in a place called Gedaref,
      and in the northern part of southern Sudan, in a place
      called Rank...." Agricultural programs—including ones
      contributed to by the United States, have been buying
      the grain and "shipping it to Darfur, and to the South
      for newcomers, who have been displaced for 10, 15
      years. They don't have housing; they don't have food.

      "And all of a sudden ... these sanctions. Because our
      refugees are coming back from Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia,
      Eritrea, Democratic Republic of the Congo, also
      Central African Republic—all these people are coming
      back! They have no food, but these agricultural
      programs that produce grain, produce wheat, produce
      sugar—these are the ones targetted by [sanctions
      against] the 31 companies. So where do these people
      eat?

      "They say that they are putting the sanctions on the
      government," but it is the masses of the poor who will
      suffer. Look at sugar. The hundred or so government
      officials drink "high class coffee." But suger in tea
      is "very important to the average Sudanese. If you go
      to Sudan today, and go to the hospital, surrounding
      the hospital you get so many women, with kettles: They
      make tea. And then the workers, they come down from
      where they work, get a cup of tea, plus a small piece
      of bread—and they live on that! When the sugar is not
      there, the women—which is an informal economy, as we
      know that—they will lose their jobs. The people who
      are hungry will not get a cheap means of surviving.

      "Those who are in the [refugee] camps will not get the
      bread, because these companies are targetted by the
      sanctions. Those who are far away cannot be reached,
      because the spare parts for the trains or the vehicles
      we have, cannot be provided.

      "This is a devastation.... What I said is: They are
      crippling my government. They are crippling and
      killing my people. It is a death sentence to my
      people, at a time when we really need help so that we
      build democracy.

      "If we don't get that situation, we will go back to
      hatred, fighting, and all the rest, and we will be at
      square one again, looking for guns, going back to
      other countries—I said this, we might go back to
      Egypt, and you know that Egypt has a large population
      of refugees who left [Sudan]. They want to come back
      now. When they hear there are sanctions on Sudan, no
      jobs! The company will not be encouraged to go to
      Sudan!

      "I see the significance of this thing. It looks like a
      'token' to the American administration [sanctioning a
      few companies], but it is not! This is a death
      sentence to the growing, democratic Sudan. This is
      what they have done to my country, and it is very,
      very shocking to me."
      Sanctions Go Against the Peace Accords

      Over the past three years, two critical peace accords
      have been reached in Sudan. As Lawrence Freeman
      summarized, there was the "Comprehensive Peace
      Agreement, which was signed in February 2005, and this
      ended 20 years of civil war in Sudan, between the
      North and the South. This was a very important peace
      agreement, which could give the country the potential
      for development of the South economically, especially
      in terms of vital infrastructure categories." By
      mid-2006, a 7,000-person African Union peacekeeping
      force was in Darfur. Late in 2006, Sudan agreed to
      expand the AU force by 3,000, On May 3, 2007, Sudan
      and Chad (which borders on Darfur) signed a
      reconciliation agreement, pledging to cooperate with
      the UN and the AU to stabilize Sudan's Darfur region
      and the neighboring areas of Chad. At the time the
      sanctions were imposed, negotiations for what is
      called Phase Three of the peacekeeping forces—a
      substantial UN force under the command of the AU—was
      being negotiated.

      Now, the May 29 U.S. sanctions and threats of outside
      military intervention against Sudan have been
      announced, in the name of saving Darfur. Ambassador
      Ukec drew out the implications: "The message it sends
      to those who are rebels there, is to say, 'You know
      what? This government is going to fall soon.' And the
      warlords emerge in Darfur. And that is why—you know,
      on May 6, 2006, we signed the Darfur Peace Agreement,
      and America was central in drafting the Darfur Peace
      Agreement. Their representatives from the State
      Department, the think-tanks, all those guys that deal
      with Condoleezza Rice and all those: They were there!
      And the draft, if there was something wrong, they
      would have pointed out, 'This is injustice.' But it
      was purely something that brought people together. The
      largest group, the Minnawi group of the rebels, what
      they call SLA, Sudan Liberation Army, they signed onto
      it! And the number-four man in our power system now in
      Sudan, is from Darfur!

      "I don't see why this Darfur has become a big deal,
      forgetting the people of Southern Sudan in the
      Comprehensive Peace Agreement, which is the basis of
      sharing power, sharing wealth, and making security
      arrangements. These are the best protocols ever
      produced by any country which has been at war. Why are
      these things being ignored? Why should we not stick to
      what the Americans said? Why is America unilaterally
      targetting Sudan? The UN has not suggested that we be
      sanctioned; the African Union, which is working with
      us, has never been contacted; they have never even
      condemned us, by saying 'this is a genocide.' It's
      just making my government and my people think twice:
      'Maybe America has something on its mind. Something
      dubious, something which may be terrible to our
      people.' This is what it shows. Otherwise, it is
      unwanted, it is unwarranted, to do this, and put us
      under sanctions, when we need to be provided for and
      rewarded."

      Personally Shocked

      Ukec has expressed personal shock at the United States
      action, given the particulars of his own background.
      recounted his life story. He was born in Southern
      Sudan, where his Christian missionary parents lived.
      He was well-educated there as a youngster. A year
      after Sudan's independence from Britain in 1956, Ukec
      went into the bush, as an insurgent, at age 15,
      against the Sudan government. Subsequently trained in
      the military, and also in economics at Iowa State
      University, he ended up spending some years in the
      United States, fighting for Sudanese interests,
      including testifying to Congress. He then welcomed the
      2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement as an historic
      opportunity for all concerned. He was posted in
      October 2006 as Ambassador from Sudan to Washington,
      D.C. He explained on the June 2 LaRouche Show:

      "I came here to bring the American people, and the
      Sudanese people together, so that they have a good
      relationship. We hope that we will gain from the
      American people, their experience, increase our
      productivity, because this is the world whereby there
      is a lot of capital-intensive, in addition to
      labor-intensive products that can help my country.

      "This [the May 29 sanctions decision] is shocking. I
      never expected that the American administration would
      do this, especially President Bush. He knows better,
      because he signed the Sudan Peace Act, he signed the
      Comprehensive Peace Agreement, he was involved in it.
      And, he also—as I told you the other day in my press
      conference: The American money, taxpayers' money, has
      been used in Sudan. Was that just a window-dressing? I
      thought the American government and the American
      people were serious about our situation. But, how can
      you do one thing, see if it looks good—and then, come
      up with a big slam, which destroys the entire work
      which has been done over the last four or five years?"
      'Hidden Agenda' Against Sudan, Africa

      Lawrence Freeman addressed the underlying question to
      Ambassador Ukec. "What I've discussed with Mr.
      LaRouche, is: One of the things that we think is
      behind the Darfur policy, is in fact to topple or
      dismember the Sudanese government, and that this would
      violate the water agreement that Sudan made in 1959
      with Egypt, and then this would be used to squeeze
      Egypt, which depends on that water. What do you think
      is behind these attacks on Sudan? This is something I
      think people would want to know."

      Ambassador Ukec replied, "I believe the leadership of
      Sudan has become very ambivalent, and they have always
      said that 'there is a hidden agenda.' You know, all
      the things you have just said here, Larry, fit in,
      into what the leadership of Sudan says: that there is
      a hidden agenda. There is some powerful organization
      somewhere, that has picked on certain countries in
      Africa, especially those countries where the
      leadership has been strong, has been against any
      encroachment on their sovereignty. They are the
      targets of that hidden agenda. I do not want to go
      into details about it. I think they can be summed up
      by an intelligent think-tank of this country, and His
      Excellency LaRouche always goes into details about
      things like that, because he watches from afar and
      above the rest of the world. As a result, he might be
      more objective than those guys who are involved in
      devious arrangements, like Blair, and the President of
      the United States George Bush."

      Ukec elaborated, in response to an e-mail from a
      listener in Texas, about oil being targetted by those
      who are attacking Sudan. "I also think that there are
      a lot of things in Sudan that may be targetted, by
      people who are very much interested in oil. As I told
      you before in my history, I worked hard to evict
      Talisman Oil Co., the Canadian company, out of
      Southern Sudan. I believe also, there are large
      reserves of oil in most parts of the South, and also,
      Darfur.

      "So, there is a hidden agenda, and this is why my
      leadership thinks that it is our oil which is being
      targetted. They are going to split us, to make us
      weak, and then they may pick their stooges, like they
      have done in Iraq, got their stooges, pulled them into
      war under the pretext that there were weapons of mass
      destruction, which we never got. They even showed us
      certain things, 'these are mobile weapons of mass
      destruction,' fake things which never happened. They
      are faking those things now in Darfur!"
      What Is Happening in Darfur

      Ukec stressed the need for peace, food,
      infrastructure, and economic development in Darfur and
      throughout Sudan. What is particularly urgently needed
      is water. He implored the public, and especially the
      youth, not to be taken in by the "faking" of the
      Darfur lobby, which is attacking Sudan and Africa. "Go
      and look at the report by the AMIS [Africa Union
      Mission in Sudan] and also the UN reports on Darfur,
      and see how many deaths per month. You will not get 50
      per month! You will never get 50 per month. And you
      will always hear that the rebels have hijacked the
      vehicles of humanitarian workers, and they don't
      condemn them! The rebels also are being subsidized by
      some countries, and those countries have the French
      interests. They have oil in that country, and they
      want to extend their ring to Darfur and probably the
      entirety of Sudan. These are the things which are
      going on.

      "You young people, you lay American people who do not
      read any more than what you are fed by the media, do
      not know this. I'm here to open your eyes, so that you
      see the other side of the story. You know, this is
      what I want you to know, especially those you talk
      about, Paul, those youth who are being drifted away.
      Don't agree with the divestment! Divestment is a way
      to weaken us, so that individually, business people do
      not get into Sudan, only they who want to go there are
      those who are going to go: This is curtailing your
      freedom. The [free] enterprise they talk of, they
      don't want it....

      "Divestment: There's no apartheid in Darfur. These
      Darfuris are our brothers and sisters. They are the
      majority of the Sudanese Army. Seventy percent of the
      Sudanese Army are Darfuris! So, if the army is killing
      those, they are killing their own family! Just
      visualize these things, you don't know them. Come to
      us. We'll give you more....

      "[Young people] have to be careful about the
      consumption of media they get. I know resources are
      limited, and not everybody will go to Darfur to see
      for themselves, or go to Khartoum or Juba to see for
      themselves what is going on there. I believe most of
      the people in the United States are being misled.
      Because, as I say, I was a fighter against the
      government that existed before. And nothing could have
      brought me back from the United States to go back to
      Sudan, if I had not believed in the peace which had
      been agreed to. The situation in Darfur is not a
      genocide. A genocide is when you get innocent people,
      not armed, and kill them! This is not what is
      happening in Darfur.

      "What is happening in Darfur, is Darfuris are fighting
      among themselves. The herders, who are mobile, with
      their cattle, horses, camels, sheep, and all types of
      animals; and the farmers, who only live on their land,
      and cultivate grain, sorghum, millet, and those
      things. Now we have a large animal population, because
      they get medications, veterinary services from all
      over the world, and animals do not die as they used to
      die, to condition the situation. And you know, if you
      read history in the United States, you would have seen
      how the cowboys clashed with the farmers! Read your
      history, and you'll find the same thing....

      "This is what has happened also in my country. It came
      too late, and you cannot believe it, because you are
      so advanced, but this is what is happening in Sudan,
      now. And, I warn you, do not think that the people
      outside Sudan are more caring about our people than we
      are ourselves. That's not true: These are our brothers
      and our sisters. Even myself, my cousins are in Nyala,
      which is in Southern Darfur. Southern Darfur is very
      close to my home, that is, Aweil. We have the largest
      population in Darfur. The people from my state, called
      Northern Bahr El Ghazal State, 570,000, are in Darfur!
      Because, during the war, they left the South, running
      to the North....

      "There are people dying, because of clashes that
      occur—I cannot deny that. But it is not at the
      magnitude as it is shown here! You know, we used to
      fight as clan against another clan! It used to happen.
      It's not a new thing.

      "So, we know that we should stop that, and we are
      working to stop that. The administration of the United
      States should help us in that process, rather than
      escalating, or taking sides. As I say, the sanctions
      are on the Sudan government, the institutions of
      development in the Sudan, but you young people need to
      know that the rebels have it good. When the rebels
      have it good, the rebels are going to be fighting and
      fighting and fighting, and the peace which could have
      been close, is going to be very far away..."
      Elections Are at Stake

      Ukec laid special stress on the process toward
      elections. Mourino pointed out that the word
      "democratization" is in vogue in Congress about Sudan,
      even Russia, but it amounts to "a veiled term for
      'regime change.' " Ukec replied, "It's a puzzle to me,
      when people talk about democracy, and they curtail
      countries which are going toward democracy.

      "Democracy means people have to decide their own fate.
      They have to vote. I don't think what America is doing
      to Sudan, to Zimbabwe, and other places, is a sense of
      allowing people to be democratic. It's just curtailing
      our rights, subduing us from our national sovereignty.
      They do not understand, and if not, I believe they are
      actually undermining what they say. They say
      something, but they do something else. They talk about
      democracy, they kill democracy by what they do.

      "I let you know this: Why would they stop a process
      which has already been initiated? On Nov. 15, we will
      have a census, the UN will do it. The United States
      has volunteered to do it—I don't know whether they
      will curtail it. Then, after that, we will have
      constituencies. And at the end of 2008, when you have
      your Presidential election, we will have our
      elections, too! By January 2009, when you have a new
      President for this country, we will also have a fresh,
      democratically elected body, to rule my country.

      "Why are they against it? Why are they putting
      sanctions on a country which has been fighting for 50
      years, and is now in the process of doing everything
      that was asked of them! The Comprehensive Peace
      Agreement, the United States was advising it, its
      technical know-how has been applied to it. All those
      things have been applied. I don't think they really
      want democracy. They want a new imperialism."
      'Left Wing' Attack From Gore Crowd

      In addition to the blatantly right-wing attacks on
      Sudan, a question was posed to Ambassador Ukec, sent
      by LaRouche Youth Movement activist Ian Overton (from
      Alaska and Washington, D.C.), about the "left-wing"
      assault on Africa, coming from the anti-development
      global warming crowd. Baker pointed out that "there is
      the soft kind of attack, in the name of saving 'the
      environment.' The Al Gore crowd recently held a United
      Nations conference in Nairobi on this. It was said
      that there shouldn't be industry or modern agriculture
      in Africa. There shouldn't be high-tech development or
      infrastructure. Look at the Sudd [a large, swampy area
      in Southern Sudan]. If you have water management
      infrastructure there, you will hurt the mosquitoes and
      the liver flukes. Do you want to say something about
      that?"

      Ambassador Ukec: "Definitely. You know, I'm an
      economist and I've studied this very much, and I know
      what it means between the developed and developing
      countries. You guys have everything, you have done
      things, and now you want to keep us away from doing
      them. You want to keep us in the darkness. You don't
      want us to have roads, because the forests will be
      destroyed ... when you have destroyed your forests and
      now have roads! You don't want us to have bridges,
      'Oh, they're going to cause problems!' You don't want
      us to have refineries, because soon it will pollute
      the Earth.

      "You guys are powerful over us, now, because of all of
      these developments you have done before, and the
      forests you have cut down; we will know how to save
      our wealth. But we need to develop fast, so that we
      become equivalent, or close to equivalent.

      "I don't really have a tough opinion about global
      warming. If it is warm, why not—we in the Third World,
      we should warm our part also, so that if we go to
      Hell, we go together. If not, there is no problem! I
      don't see anything—let me build my power plants, let
      me get the nuclear plant to provide me with energy.
      Let me dig my oil which is there; it cannot come out
      if I say, 'Okay, it is going to pollute.' Why are they
      telling us that? And they are driving vehicles every
      day, every household has four, five—! You know, there
      are places in Sudan, where you've got over 10,000
      people, and there is not even a single vehicle! This
      Earth belongs to us, too! The West and the developed
      people claim that they have the right to pollute and
      we should not even make even a little dent of
      polluting, so that we can come up in the world. You
      know? That is ridiculous."

      Ukec also related the anti-development thrust to the
      "hidden agenda." There is a lot of talk about
      things—the environment, democratization, and so on.
      But the intent for destruction is behind it. He
      summarized:

      "So, we'll discover soon, what is behind all these
      conspiracies, and all these global warming things, and
      all these funny things. And saying we are bringing
      democracy to people, and then that democracy ends up
      with 600,000 being killed. You know? All these things
      are a terrible scenario."
      Give Us a Chance To Pollute a Bit

      In opposition, Ukec laid out a development perspective
      for Africa, in response to Marcia Merry Baker's
      question about his experience at Iowa State
      University, situated in the breadbasket of the United
      States. She pointed out that sorghum, the food and
      feed staple, originated in Africa, probably in Sudan.
      "What is your view, if you had the resources you're
      saying should be sent—not sanctions—but resources ...
      ?"

      He replied: "I come from that country. Iowa State, the
      Cyclones [football team], where we have the first
      veterinary hospital in the world; those who
      established and invented the fax machine, the anthrax
      vaccine from us, the first atomic bomb—all these! I am
      a breed of a very, very wonderful university. If the
      Americans give me this chance, I can develop Sudan in
      15 years! I can catch up with all the technology I
      have, and the knowledge of my friends and graduates of
      Iowa State. You know, engineering is our way of life.
      Engineering changes the life of people: Given that
      fact, we will develop the South, the North, the East,
      and the entire Sudan. And in doing so, we will provide
      the rest of the world with the food!

      "We have the breadbasket of the world! Animal
      population—nobody mentions us. The peanut, that
      Georgia has; the soybeans, the corn, and sorghum, they
      will thrive in Sudan. And when people are threatening
      us with global warming, and telling us to stop, they
      are going to stop us, they are going to keep us in the
      18th Century, while they go into the 21st Century:
      Give us the chance to pollute a little bit! Give us a
      percentage, you know?—a little a bit, so that we rise
      up.... [laughs]

      "And I know, I'm proud of being a graduate of Iowa
      State, and also being a graduate from this country. I
      want to tell the American people that you have a great
      country. Don't let some people steal your country.
      Don't let some people drive your country to be hated
      by other countries. We are one human race and we have
      to work together. And when you spot those guys who are
      destroying this country: Stop them! You have the
      power, using your vote. You have the power, speaking
      out. You have your Congressmen and Congresswomen, and
      Senate. These institutions are good for you. If you
      elect good people, you will have good government that
      will cater to sympathy, humanitarian help, rather than
      always fighting, fighting, and treading on others. Our
      countries are our countries. We are the children born
      there; we know what to do with it. We may need help,
      but not all the time. It doesn't mean that you should
      rule us. You should not tell us what to do. You may
      advise us, and when we say, 'no,' don't make us
      enemies."