Canopy Signals End of Mosque's Plight

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2007
      A crane lowered the 5,000-pound copper cap onto the 140-foot minaret
      of the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center.
      (JOHN TLUMACKI/GLOBE STAFF)

      Canopy's rise signals end of mosque's plight
      By Brian R. Ballou, Globe Staff
      June 10, 2007
      http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/06/10/canopys_rise_signals_end_of\
      _mosques_plight/

      As a crane hoisted a 5,000-pound, copper canopy toward the top of a
      red brick tower in Roxbury yesterday afternoon, thousands of area
      Muslims looked upward, some with tears running down their cheeks.

      "This is the moment we have been waiting for for two decades," yelled
      Yousef Abou-Allaban , chairman of the Islamic Society of Boston .

      In the crowd of several thousand, many people held up cellphones and
      cameras to snap pictures of the topping-off.

      Traffic on nearby Malcolm X Boule vard came to a stop. The top,
      adorned with an American flag waving in the cool breeze, was finally
      set in place at 1 p.m.

      The capping of a mosque's minaret has special significance in Islam,
      signaling that the building is completed, said Abou-Allaban. But the
      capping of the 140-foot tower at the Islamic Society of Boston
      Cultural Center had even more significance for local Muslims because
      of the controversies that had dogged the project.

      "Allah . . . was probably testing us to see how much perseverance we
      had," Abou-Allaban said. "There were all kinds of tests, and who
      knows, we may have tests coming in the future," he said.

      A lawsuit dismissed earlier this year questioned the sale of the land
      to the Islamic Society in 2003, contending that the Society had bought
      the land from the city at an unfairly low price. The Society dropped
      its own lawsuit last month, alleging that media outlets and others had
      defamed it in an attempt to derail the mosque project.

      The daylong ceremony yesterday started with a 1-mile march beginning
      at Washington Park and ending at the mosque, a red-brick structure
      with a large dome near the intersection of Tremont Street and Malcolm
      X Boulevard.

      The march, slated to start at 10:30 a.m., got off to a late start. At
      the beginning, there were only about 20 people holding white placards,
      huddled under trees to avoid a constant drizzle. About an hour later,
      the crowd had grown to about 300, and the parade began.

      As boys passed out green and yellow fliers with information on the
      day's events to onlookers, men in flowing robes were followed by women
      pushing strollers or hand-in-hand with children. All chanted, "Allahu
      akbar" [God is great].

      About a half-hour after it started, the parade reached the
      70,000-square-foot mosque, where organizers estimated about 2,500
      people were waiting.

      The crowd included local Muslims who hail from countries in Africa and
      the Middle East, as well as American-born black Muslims. Most people
      took off their shoes and sat cross-legged on a large blue tarp
      covering an expanse of gravel that is soon to be paved over to become
      the mosque's parking lot.

      Bilal Kaleem, associate director of the Boston chapter of the Muslim
      American Society, was enthusiastic about the diversity of the crowd.

      "This shows the blessing and mercy of Allah, and this is that beauty
      of universal brotherhood and unity."

      ===

      After forgiveness, celebration in Roxbury
      The Muslim Observer
      www.muslimobserver.com

      Boston--June 9--The Islamic Society of Boston (ISB) decided to settle
      with the David Project, with both parties agreeing to drop all
      lawsuits including the suit filed by James Policastro to attempt to
      get the Roxbury mosque torn down. No future litigation can be brought
      against the mosque.

      Interfaith director Jessica Masse said, "The ISB has made its point,
      which was never about monetary gain, and was always about standing up
      for the right of its community to worship freely. We will now focus on
      strengthening our ties with the broader community, and in particular,
      the interfaith community."

      Masse thanked the interfaith community for having the courage to the
      stand with the ISB when no one else would.

      ISB Director, Dr. Yousef Abou-Allaban stated, "We have achieved
      multiple victories in court… The decisions of the Massachusetts judges
      who issued rulings in these cases affirming our rights should be read
      by all citizens. But now we want to move forward."

      The ISB held a press conference on Wednesday, May 30 at the mosque
      site in Roxbury and on June 9 held a "Faith and unity march" and
      "Minaret Capping festival" attended by over 2000 visitors, including
      James Policastro!

      Policastro said it was a beautiful ceremony, reported the Boston Globe.

      A copper cap, affixed with an American flag, was lifted by crane and
      attached by workmen to the top of the minaret in front of the crowd as
      a symbol for the Muslim community's addition to the American melting pot.

      Imam Basyouny Nehala called the adhan from the minaret for the first
      time.

      The 70,000-square-foot mosque, which has taken two decades to
      complete, plans to open this Ramadan.

      Muslim American Society Boston's executive director Bilal Kaleem
      expressed his joy.

      "The settlement was achieved a couple weeks ago," Kaleem said, "but it
      didn't hit home until I saw the 5,000-pound cap of the minaret coming
      down slowly with thousands of people praying and crying. It was
      beautiful, emotional, and a time of great thankfulness."

      Sufia Hassan, whose husband heads Masjid Alhamdulillah in Roxbury,
      said their mosque was not originally built as a house of worship.

      "This is the first built from the ground up," Hassan said
      enthusiastically. "What's nice is that it will bring Muslims from this
      country and other countries together."

      The New England community has achieved a great milestone in their
      dream to build the largest Islamic Center in Greater Boston.

      ===

      Muslims were involved in mosque plot
      http://muslimmedianetwork.com/mmn/?p=995

      Boston--May 12, 2007--New evidence has surfaced, which indicates
      efforts to enlist professional critics of Islam, including Muslim
      collaborators, in the conspiracy against the Islamic Society of Boston
      (ISB). Attorney Jack Fainberg, who previously helped construct a legal
      case against their mosque, volunteered discovery materials to the ISB.

      The ISB shared with TMO a June 1, 2004 opposition email, which refers
      to an unnamed "pro-Jewish Muslim ally in Boston," who used Roxbury
      Community College connections to help conspirators investigate parking
      infractions the mosque might have committed inadvertently, that could
      be used in a legal attack.

      Khaleel Mohammed, an academic who advocates "Islamic reform" to right
      wing audiences was also mentioned in the anti-mosque correspondence.

      An October 1993 Boston Herald article linked a quotation from Mohammed
      about mosque financing with two succeeding anonymous quotations so
      that he would appear to accuse the ISB of connections to
      "fundamentalist Islamist politics."

      ISB director Jessica Masse claims to be in possession of emails in
      which Mohammed discusses with professional Israel advocates the
      allegedly "Wahhabi" content of library materials at the ISB. TMO asked
      Mohammed to comment about his involvement with the anti-mosque group.

      "I am sad to find out that organizations are now using government
      funds to combat the building of mosques." Mohammed began.

      "I have imparted no `secret' information to anyone…I don't know any of
      the people in the Boston Mosque. I would at most say that if they are
      into radical Islam, I would be against their building a mosque."

      Mohammed informed TMO that he verified "some translations [of
      statements by] someone on the mosque board" for a good friend at the ADL.

      According to the ISB, Islamic scholar Dr. Jamal Badawi claimed under
      oath that the pro-Israel Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI)
      misrepresented a political comment made in Arabic by ISB Board of
      Trustee member Dr. Walid Fitaihi.

      In April 2007, Dr. Walid Fitaihi returned from Saudi Arabia to offer
      "an apology without condition" to Jewish leaders in Brookline,
      Massachusetts for his words, which "he recognized were offensive to
      Jews."

      Fitaihi was on a list of twenty Muslims compiled by the David Project,
      the ADL and Steve Emerson.

      On February 3, 2005 at a synagogue in Newton, Massachusetts, Jihad
      Watch director Robert Spencer summarized their broad and
      unsubstantiated allegations in a PowerPoint presentation entitled
      "The Boston Mosque: Do Tolerance and Diversity go both ways?"

      Original emails:
      http://members.aol.com/tprovoni/DavidProject/FainburgDiscovery.pdf