ARGUE, CROMARTIE, EID, AND LEO APPOINTED TO COMMISSION

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2007
      ARGUE, CROMARTIE, EID, AND LEO APPOINTED TO COMMISSION
      http://uscirf.org/

      Contact: Judith Ingram,
      Communications Director, (202) 523-3240, ext. 127

      WASHINGTON-President George W. Bush today appointed Dr. Imam Talal Y.
      Eid and Leonard Leo to the United States Commission on International
      Religious freedom, an independent, bipartisan federal agency, and
      reappointed Michael Cromartie. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid
      (D-NV) appointed Dr. Don H. Argue as a Commissioner.

      The terms of Messrs. Argue and Eid will run from May 15, 2007 to May
      14, 2009. Messrs. Cromartie and Leo will serve the remainder of terms
      ending May 14, 2008.

      "We welcome these new appointments, which will enable the Commission
      to continue its unique efforts to advance freedom of thought,
      conscience, religion and belief worldwide," said Felice D. Gaer,
      USCIRF Chair. "Michael Cromartie has been an active member and officer
      of the Commission, and we look forward to his continued participation.
      We look forward to the contributions and insights of Dr. Argue, Imam
      Eid, and Mr. Leo, each of whom brings important experience to the
      Commission's deliberations.

      "On behalf of the Commission, allow me to thank departing
      Commissioners Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, Bishop Ricardo Ramirez,
      and Dr. Khaled M. Abou El Fadl for their service. Bishop Ramirez and
      Archbishop Chaput, in particular, actively participated in the
      Commission's work, contributed to our studies and reports, and gave
      generously of their time and wise counsel. Dr. El Fadl provided
      valuable perspectives.". . .

      Imam Eid is Founder and Director of Religious Affairs at the Islamic
      Institute of Boston. A native of Lebanon, he served as Imam at the
      Al-Nasir Mosque in Tripoli for seven years and as Imam and religious
      director of the Islamic Center of New England from 1983-2005. In
      addition to his work at the Institute, he currently serves also as
      Muslim chaplain at Massachusetts General Hospital and at Brandeis
      University.