Physics That Don't Exist

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2007
      Another Opportunity to Understand Our Predicament

      Manuel Garcia Sees Physics That Don't Exist
      by KEVIN RYAN
      December 27, 2006
      http://stj911.org/ryan/garcia.html

      Over the years we've heard from a few educated people who claim to
      understand and support the latest story given by the US government for
      the unprecedented destruction of the WTC buildings. Unfortunately,
      those folks usually turn out to either work for the Bush
      Administration directly, like FEMA and NIST, or are in some other way
      profiting from the War on Terror. Some people accept what these Bush
      scientists say because they have PhDs in scientific fields, or because
      certain media sources promote the official myths. In a way, the
      curious behavior of these scientists and media sources allows us to
      better see the predicament we all face.

      With the case of Manuel Garcia, and his three recent, rapid-fire
      articles in Counterpunch, we appear to have another opportunity to
      examine the phenomenon of Bush science. Here we see a fully educated
      scientist making strong supportive statements of the Bush
      Administration's 9/11 theories, despite the fact that he must know
      those theories are based on false or unsubstantiated claims. For our
      own understanding, let's take a closer look at Manuel Garcia and his
      efforts.

      Garcia not only works for the government, he works for a very
      interesting organization in terms of the best hypothesis for what
      happened that day. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL),
      Garcia's employer, appears to be where explosive thermite was
      invented, and it continues to be a focus of research there. (1) At
      LLNL, government scientists have learned how to combine the exothermic
      power of the thermite reaction with organic moieties to produce a
      thermite reaction that can do pressure/volume work (i.e. turn massive
      quantities of concrete and other building materials into dust). From
      the research of Steven Jones, we know that the thermite reaction
      likely played a role in bringing the towers down, and it would not be
      surprising if technology developed by LLNL was involved. Could that be
      why Manuel Garcia is so intent on seeing Physics that don't exist, in
      order to avoid seeing links to technology developed by his employer?

      There may be more to it than that. Notice that there are many aspects
      about the official story of 9/11/01 that strain credulity, to say the
      least, but none more so than the "collapse" of the WTC buildings. As
      with the air defense failures, we've been given several contradictory
      stories about these events over the years, none of which have panned
      out. The first was an urban legend that grew, as a result of the long
      delays in official commitment, from media reports of extreme
      temperatures and melting steel. We were given other stories for the
      destruction of these buildings, but the Pancake Theory, which was the
      primary explanation offered by FEMA and was the central explanation in
      numerous media stories, lasted for a period of more than three years.
      The Pancake Theory recently died a quiet death with the FAQ responses
      offered by NIST, but as with the urban legend media stories, we have
      been offered no apologies from those who propped-up the ongoing 9/11
      Wars with these false claims.

      So when a US weapons scientist, like Manuel Garcia, offers more wild
      speculation in support of the Bush Administrations' ever-changing
      stories, we must first recognize that this is not really about serious
      researchers quibbling over minor details of physical evidence. We must
      realize that Garcia and his ilk have already given us several false
      stories for the destruction of these buildings, and those lies have
      resulted not only in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people,
      but have also supported the systematic conversion of America into a
      totalitarian state waiting to happen. What will become of those Bush
      scientists if honest people ever achieve the awareness and political
      will to call for a real investigation?i

      Quantum Behavior

      In his "Physics of 9/11", Garcia offered his new "twisted joints"
      theory, adding more conjecture to the miasma that NIST spent three
      years crafting. Garcia may have twisted a few joints himself before
      writing these articles, but it is clear that he did not put much time
      into reviewing NIST's WTC report before putting his reputation, and
      perhaps much more, on the line to defend it. NIST did not actually
      describe the all-important forces that supposedly pulled in the
      tower's external columns. In their computer model, these forces were
      phantom forces, applied to the external columns by sagging floors that
      had, paradoxically, been disconnected from those columns. Garcia's
      talk of twisting joints is, therefore, only imaginative conjecture at
      best.

      Garcia seems to admit his own sloppy dishonesty by claiming that high
      temperatures in the impact zone were sufficient to soften the steel,
      and that floors in the impact zone sagged. One only has to read the
      summary of the NIST report to know that the impact zones were far from
      where NIST says the buildings failed. However, there could be another
      explanation for this "spooky action at a distance." Garcia may have
      stumbled upon a new demonstration of the principle of Physics known as
      non-locality, one in which steel heated in one place causes steel
      located in another, far away place to soften and fail. That would be
      amazing if true.

      The greater part of this first article is simply wild speculation, a
      crime in itself at this point. Although NIST admits that many
      scientists, given millions of dollars and several years to work on it,
      could not describe the dynamics of collapse for the towers, Garcia
      makes a one-man job of it in order to put those silly conspiracy
      theorists in their place. He offers equations and terms like "wave
      trains" to ensure that those of us who need to "expand [our] range of
      rationality and hence [our] political maturity" can do so, if only we
      can follow his superior thought processes. In Garcia's dreamlike world
      of superiority, strange things happen. Floors vanish and buildings
      begin crashing to the ground, as a result of fire-softened steel, at
      an initial speed of 16 mph. That is, there is no zero point at which
      such a building begins to drop. These skyscrapers actually exhibit
      quantum behavior, as large multi-floor sections go from rest to a
      speed of 16 mph instantaneously! Garcia appears humble when describing
      this monumental discovery, telling us little about the "rippling
      wavelets" that make it so. He finally sums up his findings by simply
      stating that "The towers shattered, and the pieces fell to the
      ground." Perhaps someone should call the Nobel committee.

      The Energy Crisis Solved

      Garcia's second article, "The Thermodynamics of 9/11", does not
      improve upon the first. Here he repeats his ridiculous claim of the
      importance of high temperatures in the impact zone (far from the
      failure zone), and then states that the "fatal element in the WTC
      Towers story is that enough of the thermal insulation was banged off
      the steel frames by the airplane jolts…". Of course, those of us
      who have actually followed NIST's investigation know that they could
      not produce any "robust criteria" to establish that fireproofing was
      lost through forces of vibration. Instead, NIST performed a shotgun
      test to see if the fireproofing could have been lost through shearing
      forces.

      The shotgun test not only failed to support NIST's pre-determined
      conclusions, as was the case for all of their other physical tests,
      but it actually proved that the fireproofing could not have been
      sheared off because too much energy would be needed. This did not
      deter NIST, as they simply proceeded by filling their computer model
      with vague, sweeping assumptions like suggesting that the fireproofing
      was completely removed wherever the office furnishings were damaged
      (i.e. if a cube wall fell or a pencil was broken, thousands of square
      meters of fireproofing must have been sheared off too). (2) If it was
      not already clear that Garcia never read NIST's WTC report, we might
      think that he got his quantum leaps from them.

      Garcia's analysis of the WTC thermodynamics then begins with the
      removal of all of the fireproofing from all the steel, an unsupported
      assumption at best. In any case, to consider temperature increases, an
      honest scientist would take the materials and the energy sources
      involved, and perform some straightforward calculations to evaluate
      the available energies. In the case of the WTC towers, we know from
      FEMA and NIST that about 4,500 gallons of jet fuel were available to
      feed the fires on the impact and failure floors, giving an energy
      value of approximately 600 GJ, considering moderate combustion. And we
      know the buildings had a fire load of 20 Kg/m^2, which would provide
      an energy value of about 500 GJ for the furnishings on several floors
      in the vicinity of the failure zones. (3) These realistic values give
      a total energy of about 1,100 GJ that would be available to heat one
      building, but Garcia uses 8,000 GJ and 3,000 GJ, values NIST created
      through their deceptive, pretzel-logic manipulations.

      Maybe this incredible energy yield means that Garcia and NIST have
      solved the energy crisis, and we can end the 9/11 Wars and bring our
      troops home. If not, maybe Garcia can help us understand where all
      that additional energy came from, instead of just spouting off with so
      much arrogance. We really would appreciate it.

      In the absence of this explanation, Garcia proceeds to apply this
      tremendous amount of mysterious energy to the heating of the materials
      involved. But instead of taking the quantities of steel, concrete, and
      other materials into account (don't forget the aircraft itself) Garcia
      helps us to "expand our range of rationality" by dumbing-down the
      scenario using a "fictitious homogenized" substance called
      "ironcrete". Garcia muddies the water with his ironcrete because,
      although he doesn't give the calculations, this allows him to use a
      sleight of hand, giving a value for specific heat that is less than
      that of any of the starting materials. Few would notice, but this
      means that, in support of Garcia's purposes, it takes less heat to
      increase the temperature of each kilogram of ironcrete than it would
      to increase the temperature of the steel and concrete used in the WTC
      towers. Since he's using eight times more energy than could have been
      available anyway, this minor scam doesn't seem worth the effort.

      But note that Garcia also suggests all the available heat became
      trapped in his ironcrete, thereby assuming that no hot gases left the
      impact zone, that no heat escaped by conduction, and that the steel
      and concrete had an unlimited amount of time to absorb all the heat.
      He also conveniently ignores all the other materials in the aircraft
      and the buildings, including the Aluminum, all the office furnishings,
      and the vast amount of air and water vapor, all of which would be
      heated too, absorbing energy. Considering his quantum mechanical
      collapse dynamics and magical fireproofing loss, these distributions
      of heat energy may not seem so strange, that is until Garcia needs
      that energy back to support his later claims of melting Aluminum,
      plastic "cracking" to create dense pockets of hydrocarbon vapors that
      mimic high-explosives, and even a replay of the beginnings of life on
      earth (no kidding).

      The Dark Matter of Intelligent Fuel

      By the time we get to Garcia's third article, we're either believing
      this guy is the greatest scientist in history, or we're understanding
      that his series in Counterpunch may be something more of a sucker
      punch. In this third article, "Dark Fire", Garcia claims to have
      single-handedly solved the problem that baffled FEMA and NIST, as well
      as all objective people around the world -- the collapse of WTC 7.

      Now if Garcia had proven the quantum behavior of large objects, and
      had developed a method for extracting eight times the normal amount of
      energy from a gallon of hydrocarbon fuel, as his previous articles
      suggest, we might be intrigued. Maybe the title of this third article
      is a reference to the combustion of the elusive dark matter that
      Physicists have long sought after. Let's take a look.

      The challenge of explaining the collapse of WTC 7 was described by Jim
      Hoffman with the following three points.

      * This steel-framed skyscraper collapsed into its footprint with all
      the characteristics of a standard controlled demolition.
      * No other steel-framed building that collapsed for any reason has
      ever shown any of those features -- let alone all those features.
      * No other tall steel-framed building has ever collapsed from fires --
      the primary cause of WTC 7's collapse according to the official story.

      Additionally, we know that FEMA spent eight months of exhaustive work
      on the investigation, finally claiming that "The performance of WTC 7
      is of significant interest because it appears the collapse was due
      primarily to fire, rather than any impact damage from the collapsing
      towers." They then added that their "best hypothesis has only a low
      probability of occurrence." NIST has spent several years trying to
      come up with a legitimate, non-explosive explanation, so far without
      success. But our hero Garcia takes FEMA's low probability scenario,
      embellishes it a bit, and boldly declares "This is what happened",
      leaving no room for doubt.

      The initiating event of Garcia's low probability theory is a "hot
      volley" of "incandescent metal and heated stone" that destroyed a fuel
      oil distribution pipe in the southwest corner of WTC 7. Where the
      stone came from we'll never know (maybe it was an asteroid), but the
      probability that the temperature of the steel from the towers, which
      NIST measured at 250 C, could cause that steel to glow in
      incandescence, is essentially nil.

      FEMA pointed out a string of improbable events that would need to come
      together for the rest of this story to pan out, but they made clear
      that the biggest problem was that WTC 7 first began to collapse on the
      east side, far from the distribution pipe that Garcia builds his story
      on. This means that the fuel oil released from any such breakage would
      need to exhibit the features of an intelligent migration, pumping up
      from multiple tanks on the ground floor, through the damaged pipe in
      the southwest corner of the building, traversing a distance of 250
      feet across the fifth floor without any spreading or transfer loss, to
      pool very selectively beneath truss #2 in a mechanical room on the
      east side of the building.

      This theory depends on much more creative guesswork, including the
      following.

      * None of this intelligently migrating fuel oil found its way to the
      containment vessel that was designed for such an event, and therefore
      never triggered the safety mechanism that would automatically
      de-energize the pumps.

      * The authorities that decided not to fight the fires in WTC 7 also
      decided not to cut the power to these pumps, allowing them to spray
      oil within this burning skyscraper, for up to seven hours, in the
      middle of Manhattan.

      * The pooled fuel oil was somehow heated to a sufficient temperature
      for ignition, at which point an unknown ignition source initiated an
      efficient, multi-hour burn.

      * Although now situated in an enclosed room with limited space, the
      oil found limitless Oxygen in order to extract every bit of energy
      from the assumed maximum amount of 12,000 gallons.

      * The fires generated by this burning fuel oil centered in a highly
      specific formation directly beneath that critical truss, and the heat
      produced was perfectly contained and directed at the truss itself but
      nowhere else.

      * This truss-specific fire raged for up to seven hours but was never
      visible from any external view.

      * This miraculous fire then caused the failure of that one critical
      truss, which somehow initiated the total collapse of this 47 story
      building in just 6.6 seconds.

      Garcia's "Dark Fire" piece might as well have been about the
      combustion of that elusive dark matter, because even if we really
      wanted to believe his extended string of astounding events, he doesn't
      address the primary problems of the collapse dynamics. Instead, he
      simply states "a progressive collapse propagates up and material falls
      freely." And as with the work of NIST, we're expected to believe that
      just saying so makes it true.

      Begging Off and Catching On

      When questioned more closely about his speculative articles, Garcia
      claimed in an email that he was done talking and writing about these
      issues, and that folks would need to rely on the authoritative
      information provided by Frank Greening and Popular Mechanics. In this
      plea, Garcia says that Greening's results jibe with his, although he
      was unaware of Greening before he wrote his series. It is clear from
      his "thermodynamics" piece that Garcia might subscribe to Greening's
      "Fruit Crumble" theory, where ultra-fine Aluminum and Iron Oxide
      spontaneously form in the buildings to produce "natural thermite",
      distributed in just the right forms and places. It could be that
      Garcia would buy Greening's "They Just Forgot to Use the Bolts" theory
      as well, if it comes to that. (4)

      Government scientists get paid to support government policies,
      particularly in this era of "Bush Science", and clearly Garcia is
      willing to play along. But why would political news organizations,
      like Counterpunch, that present themselves as alternatives to the
      corporate media, promote these false claims?

      Consider for a moment the implications of a breakthrough in the truth
      about 9/11. If the official story about 9/11 is completely false, as
      it has proven to be, that fact should call into question those media
      sources who have helped to cover-up the details over the last five
      years, even if only through gross negligence of the facts. Whether or
      not collusion with alternative media was involved, if there is a
      possibility that the neo-cons actually helped in planning or executing
      the attacks, then the fact that they pulled it off means that
      Alexander Cockburn and other (ostensibly) liberal leaders might no
      longer enjoy the "irreverent and biting" superiority that they
      identify themselves with. It could be very distressing for some of
      these rebel leaders to realize that instead of "muckraking with a
      radical attitude" they have spent years meekly bolstering the status quo.

      It appears that these kinds of realizations are inevitable, and
      actually offer us a chance to improve our situation. In the US, we'll
      soon have more opportunity to notice the default states in which we
      are expected to accept scientific authority no matter how illogical,
      and accept a cartoonish political framework no matter how impotent. In
      the next few months, these opportunities will come like "hot volleys"
      from Manuel Garcia, providing stark examples of how pretentious
      "experts", and other types of fictitious, homogenized (ironcrete)
      leaders give no real alternatives to the problems we've seen in the
      last five years.

      If our new Democratic Congress will not call for impeachment or a new
      9/11 investigation, will they at least repeal the Military Commissions
      Act, or the Patriot Act? Will they stop construction of Halliburton's
      secretive "detention centers" or put an end to the illegal 9/11 Wars?
      Will our government's efforts to protect us from unexplained terrorism
      ever stop looking exactly like the efforts they would take to protect
      themselves from us? In other words, will these new leaders, in
      practice, be any different than the neo-cons? Over the next few months
      we will realize the answers to these questions, and perhaps then we
      can begin taking more responsibility for the deception in our lives.