LA Paper Retracts CAIR Smear

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 3:53 PM
      CA NEWSPAPER CORRECTS DEFAMATION OF CAIR OFFICIAL

      (ANAHEIM, CA, 3/30/07) - The Southern California office of the Council
      on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-LA) today welcomed a decision by a
      Los Angeles-area newspaper to correct false allegations about the
      civil rights and advocacy group's executive director.

      The Acorn newspaper recently published a correction, which stated: "A
      letter by Shari Goodman in the Feb. 1 Acorn incorrectly states that
      Hussam Ayloush - executive director of the Southern California Council
      on American-Islamic relations (CAIR) - co-hosted a 1998 event. . .at
      which anti-Semitic remarks were made. Neither CAIR nor Ayloush
      co-hosted the event and Ayloush was not in attendance."

      SEE: http://www.theacorn.com/news/2007/0301/community/032.html

      The action came in response to a letter from CAIR-LA's attorney Masood
      Khan requesting the correction.

      "I thank The Acorn newspaper for its prompt action in publishing a
      correction," Khan said. "I also hope that this correction sends a
      message to those who wish to marginalize American Muslims that
      inventing defamatory 'facts' has no place in our society."

      In a statement, CAIR-LA said:

      "We welcome the Acorn's decision to make this correction. The original
      false statement followed an unfortunate recent trend of attempting to
      silence American Muslims and Islamic groups through vicious smear
      campaigns based on distortions and fabrications.

      "CAIR and its officials would never support an event that promoted
      anti-Semitism or any other form of racism or bigotry. In fact CAIR has
      in the past condemned anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial.

      "We urge journalists, policy-makers and other people of conscience to
      examine the veracity of potentially defamatory information and the
      agendas promoted by the sources of questionable materials."

      CAIR, America's largest Islamic civil liberties group, has 32 chapters
      nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding
      of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower
      American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual
      understanding.

      CONTACT: CAIR-LA Communications Coordinator Munira Syeda, 714-776-1847