US wants Pakistani Troops in Iraq

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2003
      US wants Pakistani peace force in Iraq

      By Our Correspondent

      WASHINGTON, June 3: The US and Britain have asked Pakistan to send a
      brigade to join peacekeeping forces in Iraq, Foreign Secretary Riaz
      H. Khokhar told reporters on Monday.

      A Pakistani brigade includes about 3,000 troops, he said. Mr Khokhar,
      who was in Washington on a daylong visit, said Islamabad had not yet
      decided whether to contribute troops for this purpose. "This is
      something we have to study very carefully before we take a decision.
      There are several questions that remain unanswered."

      The foreign secretary said that unless Pakistan gets satisfactory
      answers to the questions involved, "we are not going to plunge into
      it."... We haven't said yes, we haven't said no."

      Mr Khokhar said that the government had drawn up a list of 12 to 14
      private Pakistani companies it believes can play an effective role in
      the reconstruction of Iraq. "We have given their portfolios to
      American multinationals who will be awarding sub-contracts for
      reconstruction projects. The decision has to be taken by them."

      http://www.dawn.com/cgi-bin/dina.pl?file=top11.htm&date=20030604

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.