Iraq: Eyewitness Statement

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 6:07 AM
      CIVILIAN DEATHS IN IRAQ COULD BE AS HIGH AS 10,000
      IAN BRUCE, The Herald, 5/23/03
      http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/archive/23-5-19103-23-48-54.html

      AMERICAN guns, bombs and missiles killed more civilians in the recent
      war in Iraq than in any conflict since Vietnam, according to
      preliminary assessments carried out by the UN, international aid
      agencies and independent study groups.

      Despite US boasts this was the fastest, most clinical campaign in
      military history, a first snapshot of "collateral damage" indicates
      that between 5000 and 10,000 Iraqi non-combatants died in the course
      of the hi-tech blitzkrieg.

      Organisations such as the Red Cross, the Muslim Red Crescent, Amnesty
      International, Human Rights Watch, and the UN are all still carrying
      out surveys and are reluctant to commit themselves to a final figureĀ…

      Letter From Voices In The Wilderness in Iraq

      Dear Friends,

      Bittersweet days have emerged again. It was bittersweet when the US
      government began to threaten increased violence against Iraq and was
      simultaneously met with the largest anti-war movement in history. It
      was bittersweet when the US declared it was going to begin a military
      assault on Iraq and member states of the United Nations with veto
      power declared that they would veto any resolution calling for a
      military attack. It was bittersweet when the US military dropped the
      first bombs on a defenseless nation of 26 million innocent people,
      and in return people all over the world engaged in acts of civil
      disobedience and protest. With the passing of UN Resolution 1483 the
      removal of brutal, unjustifiable sanctions has taken place, which is
      indeed sweet. However, outlined in 1483 is the direct control of
      Iraqi oil revenues by the US government. A bitter reality.

      Since the bombing ceased, our team in Baghdad along with various
      humanitarian organizations, have witnessed the horror of war and
      occupation. The information they have provided to us is endless but
      not reported in most media outlets from the US. A brief look into
      what the Iraq Peace Team and humanitarian groups have found creates
      the following picture:

      - Basic services remain inadequate.
      - Countless children are at risk of diarrhea and other
      illnesses related to dirty water.

      http://electroniciraq.net/news/815.shtml

      - Many children are not attending school.
      We recently received a report that many teachers who have
      returned to their jobs do so without pay

      http://electroniciraq.net/news/825.shtml

      - Joblessness

      http://electroniciraq.net/news/770.shtml

      - Unexploded ordnance and ammunition, both US and Iraqi-delivered,
      continue to maim and kill unsuspecting people, particularly children.

      http://electroniciraq.net/news/776.shtml

      In the words of Senator Byrd, "What makes me cringe even more is the
      continued claim that we are 'liberators.' The facts don't seem to
      support the label we have so euphemistically attached to ourselves.
      True, we have unseated a brutal, despicable despot, but 'liberation'
      implies the follow up of freedom, self-determination and a better
      life for the common people. In fact, if the situation in Iraq is the
      result of 'liberation,' we may have set the cause of freedom back 200
      years."

      From our office in Chicago we remain steadfast in the principles of
      nonviolence and the necessity to continue a call for the betterment
      of life in Iraq. With the lifting of sanctions we enter a new phase
      in our work and hope that you will join us.

      CREATIVE RESISTANCE SUMMER CAMP

      We are hosting a creative resistance summer camp in New York City
      using traditional and emerging forms of activism. For a period of 30
      days, artists, media activists, and grassroots organizers will take
      part in creative forms of direct action using NYC as their canvas. We
      will use methods of nonviolence and alternative forms of
      communication as a means to counter the massive US government-
      controlled propaganda campaigns.

      Creative responses, satiric guerrilla theater, info-warfare, music,
      workshops, video screenings, performances, debates, and talks
      coalesce into a month-long laboratory and creative resistance camp to
      help kick off a new direction of Resistance.

      Interested in participating? Contact Joe Proulx joe@...

      WHEELS OF JUSTICE TOUR

      Nonviolent Resistance to War and Occupation in Iraq and Palestine

      To continue to put a human face on the Iraq conflict and its
      aftermath, we're heading out on the road again, starting this summer,
      on a national bus tour to further education, organizing and action
      around war and occupation in Iraq and Palestine. Working with Middle
      East Children's Alliance, affiliates of the International Solidarity
      Movement and Al-Awda, we hope to:

      - offer academic and eyewitness perspective to the conflicts in Iraq
      and Palestine
      - cultivate and promote nonviolent resistance in the US to war and
      occupation
      - promote solidarity with people, especially Iraqis and Palestinians,
      living under war and occupation
      - highlight the risks and effects of this war on members of the armed
      services and veterans

      Do you want to host an event? Would you like to participate? Contact
      Ceylon Mooney at: ceylon@...

      Both the Creative Resistance Summer Camp and the Wheels of Justice
      Tour are parts of our on-going mission to Spotlight Iraq. You'll be
      hearing from us soon again.

      Be Well,

      Bitta Mostofi
      Stephanie Schaudel