Indeed there is Apartheid in Israel

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2007
      This item by Shulamit Aloni, the Israeli Prize laureate who once
      served as Minister of Education under Yitzhak Rabin is tranlated by
      Sol Salbe, an Australian editor, whose comments are in square

      Indeed there is Apartheid in Israel
      Shulamit Aloni [Translated by Sol Salbe]
      Yediot Acharonot, Israel's largest circulating newspaper

      Hebrew original: http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3346283,00.html

      A new order issued by the GOC Central command bans the conveyance of
      Palestinians in Israeli vehicles. Such a blatant violation of the
      right to travel joins the long list of humans rights violations
      carried out by Israel in the [Occupied] Territories.

      Jewish self-righteousness is taken for granted among ourselves to such
      an extent that we fail to see what's right in front of our eyes. It's
      simply inconceivable that the ultimate victims, the Jews, can carry
      out evil deeds. Nevertheless, the state of Israel practises its own,
      quite violent, form of Apartheid with the native Palestinian population.

      The US Jewish Establishment's onslaught on former President Jimmy
      Carter is based on him daring to tell the truth which is known to all:
      through its army, the government of Israel practises a brutal form of
      Apartheid in the territory it occupies. Its army has turned every
      Palestinian village and town into a fenced-in, or blocked-in,
      detention camp. All this is done in order to keep an eye on the
      population's movements and to make its life difficult. Israel even
      imposes a total curfew whenever the settlers, who have illegally
      usurped the Palestinians' land, celebrate their holidays or conduct
      their parades.

      If that were not enough, the generals commanding the region frequently
      issue further orders, regulations, instructions and rules (let us not
      forget: they are the lords of the land). By now they have
      requisitioned further lands for the purpose of constructing "Jewish
      only" roads. Wonderful roads, wide roads, well-paved roads, brightly
      lit at night – all that on stolen land. When a Palestinian drives on
      such a road, his vehicle is confiscated and he is sent on his way.

      On one occasion I witnessed such an encounter between a driver and a
      soldier who was taking down the details before confiscating the
      vehicle and sending its owner away. "Why?" I asked the soldier. "It's
      an order – this is a Jews-only road", he replied. I inquired as to
      where was the sign indicating this fact and instructing [other]
      drivers not to use it. His answer was nothing short of amazing. "It is
      his responsibility to know it, and besides, what do you want us to do,
      put up a sign here and let some antisemitic reporter or journalist
      take a photo so he that can show the world that Apartheid exists here?"

      Indeed Apartheid does exist here. And our army is not "the most moral
      army in the world" as we are told by its commanders. Sufficient to
      mention that every town and every village has turned into a detention
      centre and that every entry and every exit has been closed, cutting it
      off from arterial traffic. If it were not enough that Palestinians are
      not allowed to travel on the roads paved `for Jews only', on their
      land, the current GOC found it necessary to land an additional blow on
      the natives in their own land with an "ingenious proposal".

      Humanitarian activists cannot transport Palestinians either

      Major-General Naveh, renowned for his superior patriotism, has issued
      a new order. Coming into affect on 19 January, it prohibits the
      conveyance of Palestinians without a permit. The order determines that
      Israelis are not allowed to transport Palestinians in an Israeli
      vehicle (one registered in Israel regardless of what kind of
      numberplate it carries) unless they have received explicit permission
      to do so. The permit relates to both the driver and the Palestinian
      passenger. Of course none of this applies to those whose labour
      serves the settlers. They and their employers will naturally receive
      the required permits so they can continue to serve the lords of the
      land, the settlers.

      Did man of peace President Carter truly err in concluding that Israel
      is creating Apartheid? Did he exaggerate? Don't the US Jewish
      community leaders recognise the International Convention on the
      Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination of 7 March 1966, to
      which Israel is a signatory? Are the US Jews who launched the loud and
      abusive campaign against Carter for supposedly maligning Israel's
      character and its democratic and humanist nature unfamiliar with the
      International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the
      Crime of Apartheid of 30 November 1973? Apartheid is defined therein
      as an international crime that among other things includes using
      different legal instruments to rule over different racial groups, thus
      depriving people of their human rights. Isn't freedom of travel one of
      these rights?

      In the past, the US Jewish community leaders were quite familiar with
      the meaning of those conventions. For some reason, however, they are
      convinced that Israel is allowed to contravene them. It's OK to kill
      civilians, women and children, old people and parents with their
      children, deliberately or otherwise without accepting any
      responsibility. It's permissible to rob people of their lands, destroy
      their crops, and cage them up like animals in the zoo. From now
      on, Israelis and International humanitarian organisations' volunteers
      are prohibited from assisting a woman in labour by taking her to the
      hospital. [Israeli human rights group] Yesh Din volunteers cannot take
      a robbed and beaten-up Palestinian to the police station to lodge a
      complaint. (Police stations are located at the heart of the
      settlements.) Is there anyone who believes that this is not Apartheid?

      Jimmy Carter does not need me to defend his reputation that has been
      sullied by Israelophile community officials. The trouble is that their
      love of Israel distorts their judgment and blinds them from seeing
      what's in front of them. Israel is an occupying power that for 40
      years has been oppressing an indigenous people, which is entitled to a
      sovereign and independent existence while living in peace with us. We
      should remember that we too used very violent terror against foreign
      rule because we wanted our own state. And the list of victims of
      terror is quite long and extensive.

      We do limit ourselves to denying the [Palestinian] people human
      rights. We not only rob of them of their freedom, land and water. We
      apply collective punishment to millions of people and even, in
      revenge-driven frenzy, destroy the electricity supply for one and half
      million civilians. Let them "sit in the darkness" and "starve".

      Employees cannot be paid their wages because Israel is holding 500
      million shekels that belong to the Palestinians. And after all that
      we remain "pure as the driven snow". There are no moral blemishes on
      our actions. There is no racial separation. There is no Apartheid.
      It's an invention of the enemies of Israel. Hooray for our brothers
      and sisters in the US! Your devotion is very much appreciated. You
      have truly removed a nasty stain from us. Now there can be an extra
      spring in our step as we confidently abuse the Palestinian population,
      using the "most moral army in the world".