Jimmy Carter: Israel worse than apartheid

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Jimmy Carter: Israel's 'apartheid' policies worse than South Africa's
      Haaretz

      Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter said in remarks
      broadcast Monday that Israeli policy in the West Bank
      represented instances of apartheid worse even that those
      that once held sway in South Africa.

      Carter's comments were broadcast on Israel Radio, which
      played a tape of an interview with the ex-president, but
      did not specify to whom Carter was speaking.

      "When Israel does occupy this territory deep within the
      West Bank, and connects the 200-or-so settlements with
      each other, with a road, and then prohibits the
      Palestinians from using that road, or in many cases even
      crossing the road, this perpetrates even worse instances
      of apartness, or apartheid, than we witnessed even in
      South Africa."

      Carter said his new book, "Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid"
      was meant to spark U.S. discussion of Israeli policies.
      "The hope is that my book will at least stimulate a
      debate, which has not existed in this country. There's
      never been any debate on this issue, of any significance."

      The book has sparked strong criticism from Jewish figures
      in the United States. Abraham H. Foxman, national director
      of the Anti-Defamation League, has said that some comments
      from the former president border on anti-Semitism.

      "When you think about the charge that he has made that the
      Jewish people control the means of communication, it is
      odious," Foxman was quoted as saying last week. "If the
      Jews controlled the media, how come he is traveling around
      the country speaking about this book on talk shows?"

      Carter has rejected the criticism of the book and its use
      of the word apartheid.

      "I feel completely at ease," said Carter, about his
      commitment to the book, which accuses Israel of oppressing
      Palestinians. "I am not running for office. And I have
      Secret Service protection."

      "The greatest commitment in my life has been trying to
      bring peace to Israel," Carter told the Atlanta Press Club
      last week.

      "Israel will never have peace until they agree to withdraw
      [from the territories]."