JUDGE'S REMARK SPARKS OUTRAGE

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2003
      TARRYTOWN JUDGE'S REMARK SPARKS OUTRAGE
      Jonathan Bandler, Journal News, 5/21/O3
      http://www.nyjournalnews.com/newsroom/052103/a0121tarryjudge.html

      TARRYTOWN - An Arab-American woman who fainted in village court said
      she suffered an anxiety attack after the judge asked if she were a
      terrorist.

      Anissa Khoder has filed a complaint against Tarrytown Village Justice
      William Crosbie with the state Commission on Judicial Conduct.

      Khoder went to court on Thursday to contest a pair of parking
      tickets. As she approached the judge's table, she said, Crosbie
      considered her name out loud and asked if she were a terrorist. She
      said she was stunned by the implication, but responded with a weak,
      reflexive smile.

      "I felt offended, and I kept it to myself," she said, but then it got
      worse. After completing her explanation for why the tickets should be
      dismissed, she said the judge asked her, "You don't really want to
      pay these tickets, do you?"

      "Then he said something like, 'You have money to support the
      terrorists, but you don't want to pay the ticket,'" Khoder said. "I
      could not believe I was hearing that."

      She was unable to say anything in protest and, almost immediately,
      collapsed to the floor. A court officer and two Tarrytown police
      officers helped her and called for an ambulance, but Khoder soon
      recovered and declined medical attention.

      Crosbie yesterday confirmed that he made the initial comment, asking
      Khoder if she were a terrorist, and acknowledged that it "may have
      been inappropriate." But he denied saying anything further regarding
      terrorism...

      TARRYTOWN JUSTICE WON'T RESIGN OVER 'TERRORIST' REMARK
      Robert Marchant, Journal News, 5/22/03
      http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/052203/b0122judgefolo.html

      TARRYTOWN - A village justice facing criticism for calling an Arab-
      American woman a "terrorist" in his courtroom brushed aside the
      controversy and Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano's call for
      his resignation yesterday.

      William Crosbie is facing a complaint in the New York State
      Commission on Judicial Conduct from a Tarrytown nursing student and
      mother, Anissa Khoder, who said the justice made a remark about her
      being a "terrorist" as she approached him to discuss two parking
      tickets on May 15 in Village Court. She called the remark offensive
      and filed a complaint.

      Crosbie acknowledged that he made the remark once in front of Khoder
      and said it "may have been inappropriate." Yesterday, he said he
      would answer any questions from the judicial conduct commission, but
      he did not believe the matter was worth pursuing.

      "I regret we had the contretemps," he said in his office following a
      court session that went according to the usual routine, but he was
      planning to continue with his duties as a village justice, regardless
      of the criticism he is receiving in some quarters. "It's business as
      usual..."

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.