Father of Colombine Victim Speaks

  • World View <ummyakoub@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2002
      Father of Colombine Victim Speaks

      Father of Columumbine H.S. shooting victim, Rachel Scott shocks
      Congress with what they didn't want to hear -- the real cause of the
      shooting.

      ======================

      Guess our national leaders didn't expect this.

      On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of
      the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was
      invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee.
      What he said to our national leaders during this special session of
      Congress was painfully truthful. They were not prepared for what he
      had to say, nor was it received well.

      It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every
      politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-
      called expert. These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are
      powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that
      God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.

      The following is a portion of the transcript:

      "Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the
      hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or
      the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel
      Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other
      eleven children who died just not be in vain. Their blood cries out
      for
      answers.

      The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother
      Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.
      Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true
      killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found
      in Cain's heart.

      In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how
      quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am
      not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a
      gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't
      believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death.
      Therefore, I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I
      believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder, I would be
      their strongest opponent.

      I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -
      it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where
      the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room.
      Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers
      themselves.

      I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.
      This was written way before I knew I would be speaking here today:

      'Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
      Your words are empty air.
      You've stripped away our heritage,
      You've outlawed simple prayer.

      Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
      And precious children die.
      You seek for answers everywhere,
      And ask the question "Why?"

      You regulate restrictive laws,
      Through legislative creed.
      And yet you fail to understand,
      That God is what we need!'

      Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, soul,
      and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-
      up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush
      in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our
      educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our
      major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a
      historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have
      refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred
      and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy
      occurs - politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the
      NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that
      contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do
      not need more restrictive laws.

      Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No
      amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this
      type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.
      Political posturing and restrictive legislation are not the
      answers. The young people of our nation hold the key.

      There is a spiritual awakening taking place that will not be
      squelched! We do not need more religion. We do not need more gaudy
      television evangelists spewing out verbal religious garbage. We do
      not need more million dollar church buildings built while people
      with basic needs are being ignored. We do need a change of heart and
      a humble acknowledgment that this nation was founded on the
      principle of simple trust in God!

      As my son, Craig, lay under that table in the school library and saw
      his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate
      to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that
      right! I challenge every young person in America, and around the
      world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School,
      prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers
      offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new
      millennium with a sacred disregard for
      legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with
      Him.

      To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA - I give to
      you a sincere challenge. Dare to examine your own heart before
      casting the first stone! My daughter's death will not be in vain!
      The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

      News Archive available to WVNS subscribers at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vwns/

      Yahoo ads are not under WVNS control.