Our Army the Most Violent

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2006
      "There has never been an American army as violent and murderous as the
      one in Iraq"

      Pulitzer-winning investigative journalist Seymour Hersh slams Bush at
      McGill address
      By Martin Lukacs

      10/31/06 "The McGill Daily" -- -- "The bad news," investigative
      reporter Seymour Hersh told a Montreal audience last Wednesday, "is
      that there are 816 days left in the reign of King George II of America."

      The good news? "When we wake up tomorrow morning, there will be one
      less day."

      Hersh, a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist and regular contributor to
      The New Yorker magazine, has been a thorn in the side of the U.S.
      government for nearly 40 years. Since his 1969 exposé of the My Lai
      massacre in Vietnam, which is widely believed to have helped turn
      American public opinion against the Vietnam War, he has broken news
      about the secret U.S. bombing of Cambodia, covert C.I.A. attempts to
      overthrow Chilean president Salvador Allende, and, more recently, the
      first details about American soldiers abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib
      prison in Iraq.

      During his hour-and-a-half lecture – part of the launch of an
      interdisciplinary media and communications studies program called
      Media@McGill – Hersh described video footage depicting U.S. atrocities
      in Iraq, which he had viewed, but not yet published a story about.

      He described one video in which American soldiers massacre a group of
      people playing soccer.

      "Three U.S. armed vehicles, eight soldiers in each, are driving
      through a village, passing candy out to kids," he began. "Suddenly the
      first vehicle explodes, and there are soldiers screaming. Sixteen
      soldiers come out of the other vehicles, and they do what they're told
      to do, which is look for running people."

      "Never mind that the bomb was detonated by remote control," Hersh
      continued. "[The soldiers] open up fire; [the] cameras show it was a
      soccer game."

      "About ten minutes later, [the soldiers] begin dragging bodies
      together, and they drop weapons there. It was reported as 20 or 30
      insurgents killed that day," he said.

      If Americans knew the full extent of U.S. criminal conduct, they would
      receive returning Iraqi veterans as they did Vietnam veterans, Hersh
      said.

      "In Vietnam, our soldiers came back and they were reviled as baby
      killers, in shame and humiliation," he said. "It isn't happening now,
      but I will tell you – there has never been an [American] army as
      violent and murderous as our army has been in Iraq."

      Hersh came out hard against President Bush for his involvement in the
      Middle East.

      "In Washington, you can't expect any rationality. I don't know if he's
      in Iraq because God told him to, because his father didn't do it, or
      because it's the next step in his 12-step Alcoholics Anonymous
      program," he said.

      Hersh hinted that the responsibility for the invasion of Iraq lies
      with eight or nine members of the administration who have a
      "neo-conservative agenda" and dictate the U.S.'s post-September 11
      foreign policy.

      "You have a collapsed Congress, you have a collapsed press. The
      military is going to do what the President wants," Hersh said. "How
      fragile is democracy in America, if a president can come in with an
      agenda controlled by a few cultists?"
      Throughout his talk Hersh remained pessimistic, predicting that the
      U.S. will initiate an attack against Iran, and that the situation in
      Iraq will deteriorate further.

      "There's no reason to see a change in policy about Iraq. [Bush] thinks
      that, in twenty years, he's going to be recognized for the leader he
      was – the analogy he uses is Churchill," Hersh said. "If you read the
      public statements of the leadership, they're so confident and so
      calm…. It's pretty scary."